Trade Union (IBOA) ignoring my correspondence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Trade Union ignoring my correspondence.

SP,

Would it help if you looked at the Union as a Club or Society (rather than as a service provider)? I know analogy is the lowest form of reason but to extend the analogy would you demand service from your local GAA club or Lyons Club?

If you are not happy with your union why don't you put yourself forward and get elected and make changes from the inside?

aj

I'm not a member of the IBOA but deal with them as a manager from the other side of the negotiation table. My experience is that they have had a significant turnover of full time union reps with their staff leaving/being headhunted by othe unions. I've had to deal with 4 reps in 4 years and each time it involves going right back to the start and explaining issues from scratch

Why not write direct to Larry Broderick who is head of the union?

Agree with MPSOX - send the letter directly to the head man Larry Broderick (by registered post). Hope everything works out OK for you.

Not a member of the IBOA - any I'm not about to try and undermine them - if you are a member I would have thought they owe it to you to at least listen to you and thereafter give you best advice.

My question: have you or could you talk with your own manager in your branch/unit to air whatever issue is causing you concern? Sometimes we're not as bad as we are sometimes painted.

Regards,

BM

I'm not a member of the IBOA but deal with them as a manager from the other side of the negotiation table. My experience is that they have had a significant turnover of full time union reps with their staff leaving/being headhunted by othe unions. I've had to deal with 4 reps in 4 years and each time it involves going right back to the start and explaining issues from scratch

Why not write direct to Larry Broderick who is head of the union?

Well I did as you suggested and wrote a personal email to Larry Broderick followed by a hard copy in the post of the same email to Larry Broderick.

To date both have been completely ignored by the man.

their web site contains a list of most of their full time reps per each bank. you may be able to get a contact their

Failing that the only other option may be to go down to their offices in person in St Stephens Green and kick up a fuss

their web site contains a list of most of their full time reps per each bank. you may be able to get a contact their

Failing that the only other option may be to go down to their offices in person in St Stephens Green and kick up a fuss

Their offices are now in Stephens Street Upper. I called to their new offices one weekend to hand deliver a letter only to find that they had no letter box!!

I also contacted the rep some months back directly involved with my bank with my original correspondence.......no response either.

What an organisation!

Ring offices asking to speak directly to Broderick, maybe threaten to go on Joe Duffy , talk to media about him ....

Seem like a gang of jokers alright ..

I think it is a fairly safe bet that this is not a customer service issue (i.e. not bothering to respond). It seems likely that the lack of response is intentional.

Perhaps the OP should be taking a different tack - maybe submitting a related motion at your branch AGM? Or seeking support from colleagues?

I think it is a fairly safe bet that this is not a customer service issue (i.e. not bothering to respond). It seems likely that the lack of response is intentional.

Perhaps the OP should be taking a different tack - maybe submitting a related motion at your branch AGM? Or seeking support from colleagues?

quite possible, if the OP was to post the what the actual issue is, I'm sure someone on here would have some advice

I'd write right away to:

David Begg
General Secretary
31-32 Parnell Square
Dublin 1

Well I did this via their web page email over two weeks ago. To date not even an acknowledgement either.

It would appear that trade unions are too busy doing bigger things than having to deal with little old me.

Email and phone calls are easy to ignore in any organisation.
To be honest i'd be surprised if you would have faired better trying to contact any organisation so little.

Well I did this via their web page email over two weeks ago. To date not even an acknowledgement either.

It would appear that trade unions are too busy doing bigger things than having to deal with little old me.

I assume this is not serious, this thread is getting old ...

If you really want access, rather than e-mailing, ring his secetary and request an appointment.

I assume this is not serious, this thread is getting old ...

If you really want access, rather than e-mailing, ring his secetary and request an appointment.

I have phoned, calls were not returned.
I have emailed, these were not replied to.
I have written, these letters were ignored.

I contacted ICTU, no response.

I believe that I have been paying my monthly subscription to the IBOA under false pretences. This is an extract from their webpage.

"The Union pursues this wide agenda through collective engagement with employers on behalf of large numbers of staff. IBOA also pursues this agenda on an individual basis – where a member feels that they have been unfairly treated in a particular situation – by taking personal cases with due respect to confidentiality"

The pictures on their website suggests that there is someone waiting on the end of a phone line to help you. [broken link removed]

This is definitely not the case.

Has anyone ever issued legal proceedings against a trade union for false representation or similar?

Hi SlurryPump,

I figure from the tone and content of your posts that the union consider you to be a vexatious nuisance.

The relationship between you and your trade union has clearly broken down. Why dont you just resign and save yourself the sub and all the aggravation!

You should look at the union as a more of a club for the mutual benefit of its members rather than a "service provider" business.

aj

Hi SlurryPump,

I figure from the tone and content of your posts that the union consider you to be a vexatious nuisance.

The relationship between you and your trade union has clearly broken down.

aj

Believe it or not I have never raised one issue with the IBOA in my life before this request for assistance. I have never complained to them, written to them, spoken to them. I have never had a relationship with the IBOA other than paying my sub and turning up for the occasional IBOA meeting that might be held after office hours.

I simply wrote to them looking for help in dealing with my employer.

If they didn't want to help or if it was outside their remit all as they had to do was ring me, drop me a note, send me an email.

I was simply looking for a response to an enquiry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back