Tracing your family tree

ACA

Think I must have been prompted by the programme on Blighty 'Who do you think you are'. Want to investigate certain sections of my family tree, namely my maternal grandfathers side and my maternal great grandmothers side.

They are numerous websites that claim to give access to census records, births, deaths, marriages etc - too many to chose from really. Would anyone have used one that they would recommend? I have no issues with paying for the service but don't want to sign up to find that I'm getting very little info for my money!

Thanx aca

Best way to tackle this,IMHO,is to get as much information together as you can from talking to the oldest members of your family. Then go to 1911 census, which is available online, and 1901 census which you can access in National Archives, Bishop St.Dublin(it will be available online in near future) . Set up a Family Tree using the likes of Genebase and build a tree from scratch. Look for Birth Certs, Death Certs, Remembrance Cards or old Wills etc. to build up your info. Then you can go to CWGC(Commonwealth War Graves Commission)website and so on.

Rgds
Billo

Thanx Billo, got a lot of info from maternal grandparents and a distant relative has traced maternal great-grandmothers lineback on the male side so have an excellent start. Majority of maternal great-grandmothers family from the north of England and maternal grandfathers side are from a small village in SE England, which considerably narrows the search.

Just wondered if any of the family tree websites were any good and if so which to go for, as trawling through paperwork in person isn't really an option.

Have a related question, is there site where I can check to see if any of my family have passed away (Dublin area) tried looking b4 for something like this but came up blank.

If you have any Scottish ancestors use the website scotlands people - for a very small cost you can access birthcerts/deathcerts/marriage certs up to a certain date.

Hi there, I am also in the process of doing some research on my family tree. If u have some free time during the week, there is a place in the Irish Life Building that holds records of births , deaths and marriages. Its on the third floor, the enterance is near the staff canteen. Brown glass doors. Also, the library in Pearse Street has a reading room , where you can view reels of 1901 census etc. The reading is open late during the week but only has records for dublin city, I think.

[broken link removed]

http://www.groireland.ie/research.htm

On a seperate note, If anybody had any information on the following , I would grateful:

1) The Old MacIntosh Rowntree Sweet Factory in Dublin
2) St Marks Church, Pearse Street Wedding/Funeral records

You could also try www.genesreunited.com which involves you putting your data on the site in the form of a family tree. Thety will then put other people, who have the same names and dates on their trees, in touch with you.

You can't contact these people direct (nor can they contact you) it must be done through the site.

We have been members for a few years now and have linked up with people in New Zealand, USA and Canada, some of whom have ancestors who split off from the main branchin the early 1800s.

Costs about £10 per year. (This is approximate as I pay by direct debit and haven't checked recently.)

On a seperate note, If anybody had any information on the following , I would grateful:

1) The Old MacIntosh Rowntree Sweet Factory in Dublin
2) St Marks Church, Pearse Street Wedding/Funeral records

Can't help you on the first but on the second did you try contacting the Parish concerned and requesting a look at their records?

Can't help you on the first but on the second did you try contacting the Parish concerned and requesting a look at their records?

A significant amount of parish records from the 19th century are available on microfilm at the national archives, quality varies, both in the copies and in the writing used at the time but you'd have a reasonable chance of finding something in them

Think I must have been prompted by the programme on Blighty 'Who do you think you are'. Want to investigate certain sections of my family tree, namely my maternal grandfathers side and my maternal great grandmothers side.

They are numerous websites that claim to give access to census records, births, deaths, marriages etc - too many to chose from really. Would anyone have used one that they would recommend? I have no issues with paying for the service but don't want to sign up to find that I'm getting very little info for my money!

Thanx aca

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but one website that i have found very useful for UK census returns etc is familysearch dot org which is free.

It has helped me a lot with my research :)

Hi bill,

I am using Genes Reunited and finding it quite cumbersome to use. I have a lot of information to put on and am finding it wont let me add them with ease (or at all actually). ie, When I click on the arrows to add siblings etc, it won't seem to let me.

I would like to just do this once so if anyone can recommend a user friendly site, ideally Ireland UK focused, please point me in the right direction. thanks in advance. LS.

I use my heritage family tree builder, quite user friendly and loads of spaces for photographs. Enjoy!

This is a useful site if you had any family members in WWI [email protected]
I found the medals which my grandad was awarded & were an uncle is interred in Belgium, very interesting.

If you have a Folio number for a property(e.g. a farm ), is it possible to get a history of previous owners of that property. Anyone done this ?

Back