tracing the email address when I have IP address

olivia

I have 2 IP addresses and I need to trace what email addresses they are linked to as I need to contact the 'emailers' (they are potential clients). Is there any way I can do this?

google it or use ip check if you spend a bit of time you can usually work it out if its a big company

I hope you are not picking this up from casual visits to your site as its akin to stalking. I would not like my email addresses available or used when I do a casual search on the web.

Last edited:
@monagt, it's very, very unlikely you'd be able to trace a particular user back to an individual email address via web browsing. If you think email is bad now, it would increase by a multiple if that were the case.

agree dah, but ips are picked up on visits. it would be horrendous if they were linked to email addresses some way.

your IP is put within the code of every email you send..

some one was sending me love emails once... the other halfwas going mad at me... she new all sorts... I traced the IP from the email to a company in Dublin... it was one of her best friends trying to split us up..

your IP is put within the code of every email you send..
Don't forget that IP addresses are not generally 'personal'. An individual doesn't have an IP address. Most people using the web at home will have a dynamic IP address assigned by the broadband provider. So if you and I are both Eircom customers, I could be using the IP address that you had last night.

In a corporate situation, the IP address will usually get you to the company location, but won't get you to the individual.

You would need a court order to force the IP address owner to real who is behind a particular IP address.

I think your question is analogous to:
"I have 2 people on CCTV who visited my shop, how do I get their phone no.s?"

Olivia,

I see no problem with using a Reverse IP Lookup service to determine where traffic is coming from - in general that is how most people utilise their WebSite Stats to try to trend the source of their visits and they can use this information for trageted website advertising.

As other have said - finding actual email addresses may prove more difficult unless the originator is sitting behind some type of fixed IP address, pointing towards a company or originating host that you can identify.

I do a lot of work in this space so let me know if I can help.

Cheers.

Still wouldn't give you a direct email address. Generic maybe. And if that's what the OP is trying to do, they should stop right now, because it's obnoxious. That's why I asked for the source of the IP address.

Back