Towns in Eastern Europe without 'problems'

colc1

Hi everyone,

Was just wondering where people would recommend travelling to (towns and cities with bus/train connections) on a tour of Eastern Europe where you wouldnt have lots of problems with language, i.e. lack of English or worse still crime/personal safety. Many thanks,

C

Are you interrailing or just having at it? In most spots in this neck of the woods you'll find someone who'll speak english, however well, and in the big cities you'll be sure of finding a lot of english speakers. What countries areyou going through?

Thanks for the reply almo I havent any set plan but Poland, czech republic (prague), Austria(vienna) (tho not techincally eastern europe), croatia (dubrovnik) and maybe even to Greece, turkey (is there a dress code there?), romania, bulgaria.

Also hungary (budapest) and slovakia (bratislava) are on my list so basically everywhere is a possibility. I was thinking I might do a contiki tour and then interrail after that finishes but I am also looking for possible companions if you or anyone else is interested. I am not due back in work til well into next year from career break so free to go anytime if anyone is looking to visit any of these places and wants a companion.

thanks again.

when i visited eastern europe i just went with a smile and a simple hellp in the locallanguage

a organise tour can be fine if you are nervous but do you get nervous in a local shop where a eastern european might possibly be working? if not say hello to them and see if they can recommend something off the beaten track who knows you might have more fun

enjoy the trip

I agree with Gar, language is not a major problem and even in villages locals will have someone who at least has a few words of english!

Be warned that you'll have to bus it to Dubrovnik, as it's not on a rail line. If you're in the area (ex-Yugo) must sees are: Zagreb (the architecture is great, people lovely and it's got good sights), Split (again sights but a day and you're done), Sarajevo (just for the recent history is reason enough), Belgrade (sights, people, culture, sights - great place), Nis (on the Bulgarian border, great sights and real soul). Sofia is okay to pass through, same with Bucharest. But around Edirne and Istanbul in Turkey is lovely. And if you feel adventurous, head deep south in Turkey to the coast - go to what American generals and Georg Bush were calling "Alexandretta" just before the attack on Iraq - and trace the massive city walls.

thanks v much for your replies guys much appreciated. I knew dubrovnik wasnt on a rail line alright its been highly recommened to me before and thanks for the other ideas too really helpful I was a bit nervous about turkey from a terrrorist point of view (there have been a few attacks I know) and being mistaken for an american in any islamic country/country with a large muslim population. I defo will not be going to the southeast of the country tho with the kurdish issue ongoing.

To answer your question Gar no I wouldnt be nervous of taking to east europeans in a shop here in fact if they were female I'd probably be more friendly than usual ;) haha

thanks again guys

Back