Total Mess - can anyone out there advise pls ?

FloJo

Hi,
I’m hoping someone might be able to give me some advise on my rather shameful situation.

Mortgage taken out in May 2007 - 288k at 92% Loan to value over 35 years.
MBNA credit card (mine) – 8k (no payments made now since August)
MBNA credit card (his) – 4k (paid up to date)
My personal loan with BOI – 17k (+ 1000 arrears) 670 euro per month
My mortgage repayment is 1050 per month.
There are 3 months arrears on this mortgage from 2008 when my partner first lost his job (he is a bricklayer and lost his job in January 2008 – 6 months after we bought our house!)
I have a permanent full time job (40K per annum) and managed to get a second job in January 2009 working night shifts in a call centre at the weekends and did that for a year while my partner was still not working and kept us up to date with all our repayments during that time. I gave up the second job earlier this year as my partner got work on a construction project in the city centre and I thought I’d die of exhaustion J.
Almost as soon as I gave up the second job, my salary from my primary job was cut. But we still managed to keep up our mortgage repayments as he was still working.
My partner then lost his job in July this year and despite trying absolutely everything is still out of work. He is in receipt of jobseekers benefit at 196euro a week.
I have kept up the mortgage repayments until this month, basically by (stupidly, admittedly ) running up arrears on my credit card and personal loan and now I am totally up sh*ts creek.
I have worked out a plan as to how I can manage to continue, I don’t want to loose my home obviously and I want to take responsibility for everything that I borrowed but I cant do it within the agreements originally made with the lenders.
This is my plan – maybe totally ridiculous though :

1.His credit card – 4k – He has paid protection on this and therefore we can effectively park this for 1 year while we try sort ourselves out.
2.I can afford to make about 2/3’s of my mortgage repayment per month – 650euro until he secures full time employment.
3.My personal loan was originally 32k over 5 years and is now at 17k after just over 2.5 years. If I could re-take out the 17k loan now and include the 1k arrears, over a further 5 years, the repayments would be about 400euro per month (270euro less than current repayment amt)
4.Pending the previous two points being accepted by the lenders, I could then put 500 euro a month off my 8k credit card debt. This is obviously the one I want to attack first as its the highest interest and I am sick of trying to pay it off and getting nowhere.
5.On more long term note, if the above is granted, my partner plans to retrain completely, has already done two courses in renewable energy and there are some more retraining options we have up our sleeve. Obviously the objective here is for him to be able to obtain employment outside of the ‘doomed’ construction sector with a view to us being in a better position in a few years time to then look at increasing our repayments on our mortgage.
6.If option 5 above does not happen and he does not secure employment here, he has been granted a working visa for Canada and has family out there he could live with so he would not have to pay rent out there. Although I could go out there too, I would be reluctant to give up a good permanent job here too hastily.

I have 4 questions I would like to ask ....

1.I just really wanted to ask what anyone thinks of the above plan? Is it totally ridiculous and over ambitious ? Would the lenders consider this do you think or would I be laughed out the door. Ive really tried to avoid having to do this at all costs, with getting the second job and that, but I cant keep going racking up arrears and digging the hole deeper. I have to try something.

2.When I spoke to some friends about the above and mentioned my plans they said to me not to put this to the lenders as a proposal but more as a non-negotiable. Like in other words ‘tell’ them this is the situation, rather than ‘ask’ ? Does anyone have an opinion on this ?

3.If I were to approach the mortgage lender with the above idea, would it be advisable to mention the possibility of my partner going to Canada to get work ? Some friends have said they think this would be a bad idea as the mortgage lender might suspect it would become tempting for us to just ‘do a runner’ if money and that was so much better out in Canada ?

4.With my MBNA credit card – would I be better off if I let them sell it on to a debt company? Like what happens in that situation ? Does the amount then remain static as it is on the day that it is sold ? Or does the debt company apply the same interest arrangements as MBNA ?

If you have read all of this – all I can say is sorry and thanks for your time !!. And any opinions or suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Thanks,
Flo

Flojo, you have nothing to be sorry about. its this shameless government that must say sorry to its taxpayers who are now getting shafted! the banks are getting bailed out and F the taxpayer.

im sorry i cannot help you in regards to advice but keep your head up and dont feel ashamed as there are alot of people is your situation due to this open lunatic so called government in which we have

Hi Marti18,

Thanks for your response ! I kind of meant sorry about the length of that post !! I feel confident enough that I can orchestrate some kind of route out of this hole while I still have some bit of money coming in and Im reluctant to be bullied out of this country by 'this shameless government' as you say !! Ive a bit of fight left in me yet !!!

Thanks again !

Flojo

Hi Flojo,

Is it possible for you to complete the Money Makeover template for us? It will show us clearly where your money is coming and going from. We may be able to give some valuable tips on where to cut back and re-structure.

I will post the link next for you. Give as much detail as you can, every little helps!

Annual gross income from employment or profession:
Annual gross income of spouse:

Type of employment: e.g. Civil Servant, self-employed

In general are you:
(a) spending more than you earn, or
(b) saving?

Rough estimate of value of home
Amount outstanding on your mortgage:
What interest rate are you paying?

Other borrowings – car loans/personal loans etc

Do you pay off your full credit card balance each month?
If not, what is the balance on your credit card?

Savings and investments:

Do you have a pension scheme?

Do you own any investment or other property?

Ages of children:

Life insurance:

What specific question do you have or what issues are of concern to you?

In addition to filling out the money makeover template could you tell us if the personal loan is with the same company as the mortgage.

You need to make an appointment with MABS.

In relation to you borrowing a further 17K, they are not going to agree to this.

It is admirable that you want to try and pay back your debt.

Your observation that you are in a worse state because you used your credit card to pay your mortgage and living expenses is quite true and applies to a lot of people.

You are certainly a case for an interest only mortgage, but until you do the money makeover we can't see if the debts are surmountable.

Be aware that the stress of this affects relationships. That's just as important to manage as the money issues.

Thanks so much folks for replying - see below:

Spouse’s/Partner's age: 29

Annual gross income from employment or profession: 40k - €1200 per fortnight net
Annual gross income of spouse: Job seekers – 196euro per week

Type of employment: permanent, full time – private sector

In general are you:
(a) spending more than you earn, or
(b) saving?
All over the place – not paying Billy one month so I can pay Jack and then doing the opposite the following month but definitely NOT saving.

Rough estimate of value of home – 200k
Amount outstanding on your mortgage: 275k – with EBS

Other borrowings – car loans/personal loans etc
MBNA – 8k – minimum repayment - €250 per month
MBNA – 4k – minimum repayment - €120 per month
BOI – 17k – repayment - €670 per month (2 years left on this loan out of 5)

Do you pay off your full credit card balance each month? NO
If not, what is the balance on your credit card? 8k + 4k

Savings and investments: 0

Do you have a pension scheme? Yes

Do you own any investment or other property? No

Ages of children: None

Life insurance: 40 euro per month

At the moment, this is what is coming in/going out every month:

Combined net income per month – €3185

Mortgage €1050
Personal Loan €670
Credit Card 1 €250 (min repayment)
Credit Card 2 €120 (min repayment)
Life Insurance €40
Home Insurance €25
Car Insurance €55
Phones €200*
Petrol to work/toll €280
Food €300
Gas €50
Electricity €50
Sky €25
Internet €20
Waste Collection €25
AA Insurance €20
Estate management €10
Health Insurance €50
Total €3240

Ok so from the above I guess I’m spending slightly more than I take in every month. But my real problem is that I have no emergency fund/extras fund. Like for example, last month, my car needed a service the timing belt changed and a new bearing. That cost me €450. So I couldn’t pay some of my debts in order to get this done.

The previous month the boiler needed its service and the TV license was due. That was 300 quid I couldn’t pay off my debts.

Two nights ago in the high wind, two roof tiles came off – they need to be fixed, where is this going to come from unless I don’t pay for something else?

Next month, apart from being Christmas, my car tax and insurance are due. Something is going to have to give.

So while the above is my monthly minimum repayments, it doesn’t account for the extras like car insurance, tax, services, general home maintenance, etc etc.

Also, as mentioned earlier, we feel it is important that my partner retrain as I think it would be fair to say that there will be little or no jobs here in the construction industry in the near future. Obviously we have tried to make use of funded courses through FAS, but there are some that are fee paying and we need to come up with the funds. I think this is a worthwhile investment in our future but I need to free up some of my money to do this.

I don’t care about social life, we have become resourceful in terms of doing things that cost no money, regulars in Glendalough etc !! – this has been going on for us for 3 years now so it’s become normality. We have managed to weather the storm without killing each-other so far so I have no doubt that we will manage to come out of this at some point.

• also, just to mention, in relation to the phones, this is something I know we could make savings on, 200 quid a month for two mobiles is ridiculous, but we are both contracted to this until April. Ive already alerted the company involved that come April we will be parting company and getting two pay as you go phones. In doing so, I hope to halve the above spend to 100eur a month.

Bronte/Billo
Thanks again for replying. Do you really think I need to make an appointment with MABs ? I know this sounds ridiculous but I thought that would be totally a last resort ? I really wanted to try my best to manage this myself at least then I would feel in some way in control of what Im doing. I think if I went to MABs and had to lay all my cards out on the table I would just burst into tears at the reality of it all. Im usually quite a positive and resourceful person and having to get a third party involved in my financial mess would just make me feel like a total failure and a complete eejit for getting myself into this situation. I don’t mean any disrespect to the rakes of people Im sure are in discussions with MABs at the moment – its just how I would feel. Like I thought Id approach the lenders with my plan first and if that was a no-go then maybe then go to MABs. I just really need to feel that I did everything I possibly could to try sort this out myself before having to ask for help. Is this a silly thing ?

Thanks,

FloJo

In relation to retraining- have you looked at local Partnership organisations to see if they have any courses available. The government has given a couple of million to Partnerships and some Universitie( I think DIT anyway), for a labour market activation fund. A lot of the courses are targeted at people who were in construction and have been unemployed for at least 3 months. Some of the courses even try and link people up with employers in up and coming areas of work. For example I know someone working in Meath Partnership and involved in this. Check out their website and you can see information about the courses under education and training- I think their courses have started but if you are interested they may be able to give you more information about other courses upcoming.

Phone spend seems very high - must be a way to cut this down.

AA Insurance - is this really necessary? Does your car insurance provider offer a breakdown service?

Petrol/Toll is very high - any public transport options?

Hi there, I would second your phone bill. Can you get UPC? We have it, as do others at work.
Our package is phone, braodband and TV for €80 a month. We have worked it out that we effectively get our broadband for free.

We have ready to go mobiles as well for €20 approx per month.
In relation to petrol and tolls, our bill for 1 car is about 2 fills of petrol a month (€120) and 2 daily tolls. Do you have two cars, would you think of selling one? If you have only one car, have you got the eflow tag? We pay roughly €36 a month with it.

Your waste collection too is very high, is there an alternative? Do you recycle much?
P..

Laobhise - thanks for this - I'll have a look on that website and see - that would be fantastic!

Complainer - will check that about the insurance - thanks - good idea ! As for the phones, I know its totally ridiculous amount to be paying but we are in contract with the phone company until April. Ive told them already that we want out at that point and will go pre-pay with a view to halving that 200euro a month spend.

As for the petrol spend - I live about 30km from work and I put about 45eur a week into my car - no public transport option Im afraid. Actually i lie, I could drive to a certain point, get a bus then directly in to work but would then be paying a little on petrol, a bus fare and parking. Think it would work out dearer. Then I spend 18euro a month on tolls - three trips accross M50 and back.

He puts maybe 15/20 a week into his van seeing as he is not working. This is mostly used for travelling up and back to the local FAS (he spends his life up there at the moment !!), attempting to get work - pricing small jobs etc (there has been a bit of this lately but so far nothing has come of it), going to football training twice a week (only thing keeping him sane).

I honestly dont think there is any saving to be made on the petrol.

Im not sure if there is anywhere at all I can cut back - gave up the smokes in Jan as I simply just could not afford to smoke anymore (this is a good thing though I know !!).

Have shopped around for pretty much everything to make sure Im getting the best deal.

I made my Christmas presents for people this year ! Cringe !! But its the thought that counts !!

I made my Christmas tree last year out of traffic cones wrapped in garland - I thought it looked class and will be doing the same this year !!

Cant think of anywhere else to cut back.

Suggestions welcome.

Hi Pinky - thanks - what is UPC ? Is this only if you have a landline ? I dont have a landline just two mobiles. I avoided the landline as I thought it was just be yet another bill. As soon as I can get out of the mobile phone contracts I will and we will go pay as you go so I plan to halve that monthly phone spend.

As for the cars - my car is 8 years old but its a good car, not a flashy number just reliable - Im glad I bought a decent car - very little hassle with it despite pretty high mileage. As public transport from home to work is not an option - my car is an absolute must !
He has a 15 year old pick up truck !!! I dont think he would get a penny for it and not sure it has much time left with us - its in bits ! But it does get him the odd job here and there to be honest - picking up something for someone or taking things to the dump for someone else. So it gets him the odd 20quid here and there. He is going to go around after Christmas and try get a few bob getting rid of peoples Christmas trees for them !!

Hi there, this link will tell you about UPC, I have absolutly no affliation with the company - just to be clear. We switched about 2 years ago, and colleagues laughed at me because apparently their customer service was appauling! I must say we have never had a problem, we did need to contact them with questions, and their service was great. Since then, my two colleagues who laughed have now switched!!:)

Actually i lie, I could drive to a certain point, get a bus then directly in to work but would then be paying a little on petrol, a bus fare and parking. Think it would work out dearer
Given that you are paying to keep two cars on the road, its something you should concider, maybe your partner could drop you off for the bus.. I understand the desire for a second car, but really you cant afford it, we had to give up ours, we had it off the road for a year and eventually sold it for €300..

The botom line is you have to look at cutting your spending and petrol is a very big spend for you guys..

P..

Congrats on giving up the smokes. That's a huge achievement, and is making a big difference financially. It would certainly be worth doing the sums on the public transport option, and seeing how that might work out for you.

Is the €50 pm health insurance for one or two? If one, you'll need to shop around.

Thanks folks,

I'll definitley look at the UPC option.

Im not trying to be a pain and put obstacles up Im just really not too sure about selling my car. Not out of being lazy or too posh to sit in a pick up truck or anything of the sort !! Id say at max Id get is about 4k for it. I just I know his van is on its last breath and what happens then if we have no car. We certainly wont get a loan for a new one or have the funds to buy even an old banger out right.
My car effectively brings the only bit of money we have into this household - if its gone, I cant get to work and we are really in trouble then.
Id imagine within the next year anyway his van will be gone so we will be a one car household at that stage anyway.
Is this being really stupid ??

In answer to the recycling, yes we are careful about managing our waste. The waste collection providers in the area are Panda and Oxigen and price wise are pretty much the same.
The only issue I have with this is that as there are only 2 of us, we dont fill the bins every week so dont put them out for every collection yet we pay the same as if we did put them out every week. One of my neighbours is in the same boat so we are thinking we might share the cost/share the bins. That will save me the grand total of 12.50 a month !! But its something I suppose !

Hi there, I'm not suggesting selling your car, but do you really need the truck???? Think of it, what are you really gaining by insuring it, petrol etc?
P..

Thanks again for replying. Do you really think I need to make an appointment with MABs ? I know this sounds ridiculous but I thought that would be totally a last resort ? . Is this a silly thing ?

Free advice and you're turning it down? You are at last resort. In tandem with talking to your lendors you should be seeking advice wherever you can in order to make the right decisions.

Mortgage
Can you renegotiate for an interest only for say a year to give you time to pay of your credit card debts

Credit cards
Can you switch to interest only. Are the cards cut up.

Phone
Not sure on this, but what kind of contract ties you into spending 2400 a year. Get out your contract and see how you can break it. Or ring them up, tell them you're broke and see if they'll come to an arrangement.

Cars
2 cars are not justified. Work out the real cost of running them. Your hubby can drop you to the bus, no parking charges, only the bus charge, maybe your employer will pay for public transport? Your hubby then has the van for the day.

Loan
Talk to BoI about extending the term so that it makes the repayments more manageable for now in order to get the credit card down.

Do you need a) health insurance - young people b) AA, is it justified c) Sky, can't see any justification for

You seem to be in a doable situation. Good. Happy too to see that both of you are tackling it together.

Mabs should be able to help you negotiate with your creditor's, of course one can do this oneself, but Mabs have arrangements already in place with many of your creditors.

You also need to learn to make a budget and stick to it. That means setting aside money each month to pay for unexpected bills.

Last piece of advice. Don't mention cash jobs on AAM or everyone will start going crazy. Recommend you delete that bit of your post.

Flojo, I think you're figures are slightly out, the combined net income is actually €3249.33 (every little helps!!).

One thing I can definitely help you out on is the shopping bill. There are only two of you and you can definitely reduce the shoping bill from 300 to possibly 150-200 if you concentrate on it. It goes without saying you should only be buying cheap brands and shopping in Lidl, Aldi, etc. you have to get smart. Meal planning is key.

Example: We bulk make meals. Lasagne, pasta bake, etc. can all be made in bulk and portions frozen or stored for the following evenings meal. We make a tray of Lasagne which has 6 decent size portions to it. We buy cheap mince, pasta sheets and basic cheese sauce all from Lidl's to make it but add some spices and herbs we have at home to add flavour. It feeds 2 of us for 3 nights and comes to a total of 5-6 euros. Do this twice a week if you want of freeze them for later on (I hate repetitive meals so I freeze).

If you plan your weeks meals before you go to the supermarket you're less at risk to throw additional items into your basket. for breakfast, get a cheap brand cereal & milk, lunch should be Sandwiches, Sandwiches, Sandwiches! Can be done so cheaply and can do a whole week's lunches.

I know its repetitive but you find ways to jazz the food up and make it better. It will drastically cut down the bill and put money aside for ye.

In relation to the BOI Loan, Bronte has suggested talking to BOI to extend the term of the loan out by another few years - this will cut down the amount you pay out each month and allow you to clear the CC's quicker. There's no harm in asking them, at worst they will say no.

Re: The cars. You need to get real. You say you might only get 4k from the sale of your car, but you do realize you could pick up a small 1L car for anything from €500 - €1000 now? That would release 3k to reduce the larger CC. Not to mention lower your tax, insurance and petrol costs. This one is a no brainer. You could manage 1-2 weeks of him dropping and collecting you from work in the truck until you buy a smaller one.

Have a look around the house and see if there is anything ye want to get rid of that might be worth a few bob - ebay and donedeal. Rather than throwing them out you might get a few bob for them.

Get rid of the internet ASAP. That is a luxury and one you need to do without, even if it is only 20 euros a month savings.

There has to be some way out of the phone contracts. Can you not just buy 2 pay as you go sims, get the phones unlocked and cancel the DD for the phone? Or call them and say OH is out of work and you cannot afford the bills anymore? I have no doubt people have been doing this. 200 a month is crazy money, why are you still paying it? Servicing your mortgage and debt is more important. And forget about just halving it - you need to QUARTER it, 20 euros a month each.

You need to get brutal here.

Back