Top three books of all time

Re: Books - Top three best reads and worst reads of all time.

Here's my current book http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images...ow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg - very promising from the first couple of chapters, and couldn't be more different to Star of the Sea.
Knockemstiff proved to be an exceptional book. It was the literary equivalent of a Tom Waits song - gritty, scary, populated by dark characters who graft and scam and live in broken down trailers and end up in all night diners at 4 am. An excellent read.

The Beach Bar by Kate Mc Cabe, very entertaining and funny.

The Olive Farm (cant rem author)

Confessions of an Air Hostess

I have recently ( in the last month) read

The story of Lucy Gault - William Trevor
The Secret Scripture - Sebastian Barry (I guessed the ending)
The Road - Cormac McCarthy
I am currently reading: I know this much is true - Wally Lamb

I would recommend all of them

Marion

Great thread. Here are my recent reads

Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts has to be my favourite I found it hard to find such and enjoyable book after reading that one.
Love the epic series of Conn Iggulden about Genghis khan, three books so far and all of them really interesting and well written.
Also liked Khaled Hosseinni recent books.
Any of David Gemmell's books, never disappointing.

Great thread. Here are my recent reads

Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts has to be my favourite I found it hard to find such and enjoyable book after reading that one.
Love the epic series of Conn Iggulden about Genghis khan, three books so far and all of them really interesting and well written.
Also liked Khaled Hosseinni recent books.
Any of David Gemmell's books, never disappointing.
I read Conn Iggulden's books on Genghis Khan. The historical inaccuracies bother me a bit, as does how he plays down just how many people he murdered, but they are very readable and as far as I am concerned the more people who know about the biggest, and possible the most influential, empire in history the better.
Have you read his books on Rome?
I liked David Gemmell as a teenager but haven’t read any of his stuff in years. I liked Raymond E Feist back then too but again, I haven’t read any of those books in years.

The Hour I Firsf Believed by Wally Lamb is as good as his previous book.
The series about Rome by Colleen McCullough is great.
Anything by Alexander McCall Smith.
The Flashman novels by George MacDonald Fraser.
The Hornblower novels by CS Forester.

I read Conn Iggulden's books on Genghis Khan.
Have you read his books on Rome?
I liked David Gemmell as a teenager but haven’t read any of his stuff in years. I liked Raymond E Feist back then too but again, I haven’t read any of those books in years.

I haven't read the roman series, I don't find the roman empire very appealing at the moment but I like his writting style so would probably give the first one a go and see.

I still enjoy David Gemmells books, find them very relaxing and easy reads, sadly he died a couple of years ago so no more joy :(
Will have a look at Raymond E Feist too

1. of course my biography by Mario Puzo :)
2. The Tartar Steppe by Dino Buzzati
3. The House by The Medlar Tree by Giovanni Verga

I loved the 44 Scotland Street series. Bertie is so adorable.

Marion

I like Alexander McCall Smith too, a gentle read but intelligent.

Reminds me a little of David Lodge- not as gentle but the same kind of intelligent read.

Just thought I might resurrect this thread to mention John the Revelator by Hot Press writer, Peter Murphy. This was definitely the best of my holiday reading.

I was a little mixed up about the timing of the setting. Initially, it felts very 80's, with the rugby club disco and the oul wans. But then it seemed to move forward to a more contemporary time, with the 'new Irish' and text messaging etc. But it was definitely an enjoyable read for anyone who has been brought up in Ireland.

I try! We have three books every night- one for each child and one for me. They groan now when I choose Room on the Broom, but they still join in.

There are some kids books that i still love. The little Grey Men is a lovely book about two gnomes searching for their friend, i loved it as a kid and perfect for a bedtime story for kids that the adult will enjoy too. Walk Two Moons is another one i re-read recently. Aimed at the pre-teenish age group but has some adult themes of Death and Family that relate to any age. Reminds me of the Judy Blume books which are great nostalgic reads.

I read the Conn Iggulden series on Genghis Khan and found them very enjoyable. Am currently on Book 3 out of 4 on his Julius Caesar 'Rome' series and again they are very well written and although historically inaccurate, I know a hell of a lot more now about GK and JC than I did 6 months ago. Well worth it.

1) Gilead/Home - Marilynne Robinson
2) Salt and Saffron/In the City By The Sea/ Kartography/Burnt Shadows/ - Kamila Shamsie
3) Ghostwritten/Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell
3) A Giant's House - Joyce Mandeville
3) Ferney - James Long
3) Skellig - David Almond
3) His Dark Materials - Philip Pullmann
3) The Solace of Leaving Early/ Something Rising (Light and Swift)/ A girl named Zippy - Haven Kimmel
3) The Colony of Unrequited Dreams/ The Custodian of Paradise - Wayne Johnston

(not in order, not 3 (obviously!), and picked at random out of millions)

Back