Top three books of all time

Wonderland Avenue-Tales of Glamour and Excess by Danny Sugarman
Are You Dave Gorman? by Dave Gorman
The Dice Man - Luke Rhiendhart

Not the most well written books of all time or anything, but the three books I could read over, and over!!

Last edited:
Am getting some ideas on books I might like to read though!!
Me too, already read two I bought for my holiday and I'm not there yet! Having a blast checking out the possibilities.

My idea of heaven is a couple of hours to mooch around a bookshop. Would be a guilty pleasure but I never feel guilty about it.

I think you might like The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon

My three (and it could change but just the "wow" factor I remember when reading these.

x. The shadow of the Wind/The Kite Runner/A Thousand Splendid Suns
x. Pete Macarty, was half way through the second book just after I moved to Ireland, when I found out he was dead...and it changed the book for me.
My Sisters Keeper - Jodi Picoult. Subsequent books became a bit predictable but this was the first I read and it stayed with me for days after.

Had a bit of a flirtation with Ross O'Carroll Kelly in recent months much to the amusement of my collegues. Thankfullly, it passed.

Yes will try that one, The Shadow of the Wind, likewise, think you would like Half of Yellow Sun about 2 sisters caught up in Nigeria's civil war, I loved it.

Read My Sisters Keeper and a couple of Jodi Piccoult, but for the life of me cant remember it, so did not make much of an impression.

Am going to see if I can get "The Shadow of the Wind" out from the local library, will look up website and see if I can get it in Lucan library on the way home, they are open till 7.45 I think. (Have just looked up the catalogue and it says one is in stock so might call up)

Impossible to really get the best 3 ever but certainly 3 of my favs...

1. Kidnapped - Robert louis Stephenson - what a wonderful story
2. Scar tissue - as mentioned above - rock and roll excess
3. Filth - Irvine Welsh - not everyones cup of tea but this was a page turner if ever there was one

Have you tried your local library? All the pleasure and none of the cost...

I have, and agree totally except for two things.

If I book is what I consider a "must have" I'd rather buy it.

I'm great at getting books OUT..not so good at returning them and rack up fines and embarrassment. I'm the one usually seen skulking into the library and sliding a handful of books across the counter. Last time I did it the woman offered me "time to pay" on my 9 euro fines.

Mortified!

It’s also nice that no AAMs have proposed Lord of the Rings – about the worst book ever written (and no I didn’t finish it).

Oh how right you are! It was the first book that I left down without finishing. Vile.

I can't make my mind up about my top three except to say that Frankenstein by Mary Shelley is in it. I started reading it during my finals and couldn't put it down.

1. A Heartbreaking work of Staggering Genius, by Dave Eggers
2. You shall know my velocity, also by Dave Eggers
3. Wicked by Gregory Maguire

Yes will try that one, The Shadow of the Wind, likewise, think you would like Half of Yellow Sun about 2 sisters caught up in Nigeria's civil war, I loved it.

Do you know? I have picked that book up numerous times and wondered if I would enjoy it. Will go and get it now! (well, not right now, but next time I'm in the mall).

Am going to see if I can get "The Shadow of the Wind" out from the local library, will look up website and see if I can get it in Lucan library on the way home, they are open till 7.45 I think. (Have just looked up the catalogue and it says one is in stock so might call up)

Let me know how you get on with it.

I'm great at getting books OUT..not so good at returning them and rack up fines and embarrassment. I'm the one usually seen skulking into the library and sliding a handful of books across the counter. Last time I did it the woman offered me "time to pay" on my 9 euro fines.
Me too, though not quite as big a fine as you. Most libraries will allow you to renew books online or by phone now too.

1. A Heartbreaking work of Staggering Genius, by Dave Eggers
2. You shall know my velocity, also by Dave Eggers
3. Wicked by Gregory Maguire

I loved Wicked but wasn't so keen on the follow up "Son of a Witch".

I find it impossible to choose just three books but in the past year I've loved everything by Ian McKewan and Chuck Palaunick.

For easy Summer reads I like anything on Richard & Judys book club list.

I find it impossible to choose just three books but in the past year I've loved everything by Ian McKewan...

Recently read On Chesil Beach and it is incredibly well written. A marvellous read.

1. Battlefield Earth - L Ron Hubbard
2. The Cruel Sea - Nicolas Monsarrat
3. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams

I'm thrilled that other people think that Battlefield Earth was a good read - I thought I was the only one! - I must have read that book 10 or 15 times. Also, The Cruel Sea, is a fantastic book and the movie never did it justice.

I'm thrilled that other people think that Battlefield Earth was a good read - I thought I was the only one! - I must have read that book 10 or 15 times.

Actually it would be fairer to say it was a cracking good read.

I also have read it about 15 times, my favourite bit is when the baron throws the Terl contract on the table in front of the 2 Galactic bankers.

Man what a twist!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Cruel Sea, is a fantastic book and the movie never did it justice.

Movies never do a film justice! I formed that opinion when I saw "Christine" (the car film) and I can't think of anything that has changed my mind.

Think I'm probably just a book person.

Movies never do a film justice! I formed that opinion when I saw "Christine" (the car film) and I can't think of anything that has changed my mind.

Think I'm probably just a book person.

Atonement was quite a good movie version of a great book. Can't think of any others. The Golden Compass was a terrible movie but one of my favourite books.

The converse of this of course is The Godfather - great movie but awful, hacky, pulpy book.

Back