Top 50 Irish Entrepreneurs

The no 1 has got to be the Guy who set up the West Link Toll (Something Roche I think) - He's laughing all the way to the bank.

It appears that the "highly favourable" contact that he signed was negotiated with George Redmond on behalf ot Dublin City Council and Padraig Flynn on behalf of the government.

We could probably add George & Padraig to the list as well!

You have just had me thinking. Others that may qualify would be Declan Ganley, The Libertas Guy. What about Eddie Jordan, Denis Desmond, Moya Doherty, Anne Heraty, Louis Copeland, Niall Quinn now of Sunderland, Dr James Sheehan (Blackrock Clinic and other private hospitals), JP McManus, Denis Brosnan, Pearce Flannery, Michael O Flynn, Sam McCauley, Nigel Hughes, Feargal Quinn, Brody Sweeney, Terry Sweeney, Barry Warde, Barry O Callaghan, Liam griffin, Paraig O Ceidigh, Michael O Leary, Jin Aiken, John reynolds,Mick Wallace, Jenny Timony, and from the left field what about Tommy Tiernan and Pat Short as entertianment entrepreneurs. When you think about it there are a fair few movers and shakers around.

You have just had me thinking.

I have heard of pregnant pauses but three years and nine months since the last post thinking is some session. That or you have just found the time to catch up on the AAM back catalogue.

I think it is important to differentiate between good managers and entrepreneurs. Good managers can start and grow very successful businesses and should be commended and respected for this. Entrepreneurs break the mould in their industry and assume significant levels of personal risk.

Hi,

I never looked at the date. Yes that may be a record delay for a reply. I am a relative newcomer to this site so that is the reason for the delay. I work in the area of entrepreneurship and its promotion, (yes as a public servant)

I think your definition of entrepreneur is a little too tight which is also the problem with a number of state agencies (In my opinion). I think all entrepreneurs take significant personal risk, you do not need to break the mould to put your financial future on the line. After all they could stay in a position such as mine, safe, well paid pensionable etc. I for example have no wish to leave this environment and would not even contemplate taking the entrepreneurs road.

Also for what it is worth I think being a risk taker does not an entrepreneur make. I think that is really just a thrill seeker. I think the defining characteristic of an entrepreneur is certrainly the taking of risk but more importantly the management of that risk. For this reason I do not differentiate as easily between a good manager that has set up his/her own business and someone that has broken new ground so to speak. After all only one person invented the wheel but many people have used it as the central product in their business.

Thats my view for what it is worth.

out of curiosity how would you rate my list of successful entrepreneurs? I think we could easily come up with another 25 if required. One thing I do note is the gender imbalance. It would appear that entrepreneurship still seems to be domonated by men. Although this is changing I would like to see thae balance more evenly shifted as ladies often have a different perspective on things and will see certain opportunities that a man may miss. This should be promoted generally and is now a state priority. That is the central focus of my work right now.

Regards

Irish Guru

Back