Too many water tanks in attic

rustbucket

Any plumbers out there might be able to help. Have tried contacting a number of local plumbers to come and advise/take a look but no response (sign of the times I guess)

I have a large attic partitioned into two. There are three large water tanks in the attic. 2 in the main part with an expansion tank and 1 in the smaller part.

I want to remove the one in the smaller part to floor out the attic for storage.

House used to be a B&B with en suites so I’m guessing that’s why there was so many.

From what I can tell only one of the tanks is currently being used (filling and emptying)

The one I want to remove has stagnant water with a load of scum on the top. It has no ball cock/stop cock and appears to be connected to the other part of the system through a wall via 4 pipes that are all attached to base of tank. (Assume 1 is mains in and three are feed out). There is a pvc overflow pipe at the top of the tank going through the outside wall out to back garden.

Any reason why this can’t be removed?

Can’t seem to upload pic’s unfortunately

Any pipes interconnecting the tanks can be cut and capped off after draining the system.

If there are pipes feeding to the floors below these would need to be reconnected.
They could be jointed to any spare interconnecting pipes.

Any pipes interconnecting the tanks can be cut and capped off after draining the system.

If there are pipes feeding to the floors below these would need to be reconnected.
They could be jointed to any spare interconnecting pipes.
Many thanks. For what its worth these are the pics

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 46
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    618.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 46
I’m a plumber.
Depending on what it was doing,it should be easily removed handy enough.
What part of the country are you in ?

I’m a plumber.
Depending on what it was doing,it should be easily removed handy enough.
What part of the country are you in ?
Co Wicklow. I’ve got some local guy now who will get back to me tomorrow about potentially coming Friday. Hopefully that works out as the last couple never turned up

@Pinoy adventure i bit the bullet today and figured out how to do it myself. Plumber never got back to me.

System drained and pipes disconnected. All good. Problem is where I cut the 1inch main if off a t-connector. I bought a 1 inch end cap to fit to close that off before refilling system.

However. The 1inch pipe is actually about 0.5 mm thinner that the end cap fitting so it just slides off on compression. The olive is not snug. It wobbles ever so slightly

Perhaps my pipes are a touch smaller diameter. Metric vs imperial?

Is there a connector that would work to cap it off?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
@Pinoy adventure i bit the bullet today and figured out how to do it myself. Plumber never got back to me.

System drained and pipes disconnected. All good. Problem is where I cut the 1inch main if off a t-connector. I bought a 1 inch end cap to fit to close that off before refilling system.

However. The 1inch pipe is actually about 0.5 mm thinner that the end cap fitting so it just slides off on compression. The olive is not snug. It wobbles ever so slightly

Perhaps my pipes are a touch smaller diameter. Metric vs imperial?

Is there a connector that would work to cap it off?
@rustbucket
It could be English copper which is slightly different too Irish stuff.
How did you cut it ? Pipe slice or junior hacksaw ?

If you did cut a piece out you could bring it too any Chadwick’s or the likes and get an English fitting if it is English pipe.

You could also use PTFE tape over the olive but make sure you compress the olive onto the pipe.

@rustbucket
It could be English copper which is slightly different too Irish stuff.
How did you cut it ? Pipe slice or junior hacksaw ?

If you did cut a piece out you could bring it too any Chadwick’s or the likes and get an English fitting if it is English pipe.

You could also use PTFE tape over the olive but make sure you compress the olive onto the pipe.
Cut it with pipe slice. I have a piece of it with the 1inch end cap I bought. Il bring it up to Chadwick’s/brooks in the morning and see

Done. Used some ptfe on the olive, tightened it up and got a good seal. Cautiously turned mains back on! No leaks so far. System refilling. Thanks for the advice
For peace of mind,stick a bit of kitchen down under the fitting and leave it there.come back in 24 hrs and if it’s completely dry your sorted.

Back