Too late to sow lawn?

Lynnie

Hi folks,

I have read in previous/key posts that you can't sow grass in any month without an "R" in it... but since I'm assuming you can't seed a lawn in DecembeR, I'm just wondering: when is it too late to sow grass?

We sprayed the scutch/weeds with Round Up about two weeks ago and were planning to prepare the ground and sow this weekend, but I'm now hearing it's too late for this and we'd be better off laying turf. It's only a small patch so the cost of turf wouldn't be prohibitive and I really don't want to be looking out at a depressing mucky square of a back garden til next spring :eek:

Any advice much appreciated, thanks!

If cost isn't a factor the it is probaly too late to sow.

I sowed my last seed 3 weeks again,and it is still growing, but slow

Still very mild at the moment so I reckon you'd be fine !

Recently told at a gardening course that grass sown now will probably grow but the new shoots will be very vulnerable to frost which will kill the lawn.
I'd wait and do it next spring. Prepare the soil now and the frost will break it down over the winter.

Getting our garden landscaped at the minute but the garderner was a couple of weeks too late in starting the job so he said he'd leave sowing the lawn until spring. He will do everything else in the meantime to get it ready for then.

Personally I would wait until next April to sow seed, winter frost will ruin young grass and you will end up doing the job again. You could do all your preparation work now eg level site, clear away stones/old rubble etc. The winter will kill any weeds and any stones under surface will come to the top. Then in spring all you need do is rake surface take away any new weeds shoots and then sow. Grass will be there in about 3 weeks

My Granda who was a a gardener and he thought the best time to lay seed was early october. He might have been talking out his hat though.

Back