Toilet and refilling

dad

Our toilet takes an age to refill. A mate mentioned to me that it might be moss or something in the tank. I had a look and it did not seem to be.

Is there anything I could put into tank (in the attic) or could a pipe be blocked.

It can be a bit embarassing when we have visitors and everyone needs to go.

Has your toilet always been slow to refill? If so you have low water pressure and if you go to your local hardware/ plumbers merchant you can get a replacement plastic "nipple" (sorry can't recall the technical term!) suitable for low pressure which can be exchanged for the ex. one in the ball cock float valve. The low pressure "nipple" has a bigger hole to allow more water through- should speed up the refill rate. Check also that the float is not punctured (holding water) and is free to move up/ down inside the cistern.

We also had a problem with a slow filling cistern - turned out the jet/nozzle in the cistern through which the water flows was too small.

The plumber put a larger jet/nozzle on it and it worked perfectly. Took 2 minutes to diagnose and fix.

The nozzle (or nipple!) referred to earlier is in fact a "valve seat" and will cost you a few cent.

Back