To kill a tree...

Hillsalt

I would like to kill a tree that is on my property. The tree is a non-native tree. My next door neighbour reckons it is there 40+ years. I have discussed this with the neighbour and he is happy with my suggestion to destroy it.

The reason I want to kill it is because it obstructs my view and shades my garden. I have 3 other simialr trees in the garden plus dozens of other shrubs which I want to keep. I know these are selfish reasons to get rid of the tree but that's the way it is.

Is there anything poison that I can put down that will kill the tree before I get it cut it down?

Are there any legal issues?

Don't know about the legalities of cutting down trees in an urban setting but in my rural setting I have cut many trees down without fear of reprisal .... mostly because they were too close to my house ... a danger or a source of the greening of my roof tiles.

Great firewood! ;)

A tip for you if you do chop .... soak the tree stump with diesel .... it will stop further growth in in tracks .... (assuming you can't dig it out of the ground)

Don't know about the legalities of cutting down trees in an urban setting but in my rural setting I have cut many trees down without fear of reprisal .... mostly because they were too close to my house ... a danger or a source of the greening of my roof tiles.

Great firewood! ;)

A tip for you if you do chop .... soak the tree stump with diesel .... it will stop further growth in in tracks .... (assuming you can't dig it out of the ground)

Sorry for butting in here but please dont pour diesel about your property. Major pollutant and a waste of money.

Chop the tree down. You will have a nice flat base or tree stump. Get your drill and drill several large deep holes into the tree stump. Water will rest in these holes and rapidly rot the tree stump.

Mac

Never poured the diesel .... I've 'painted' it on the exposed stump. And I've done the drilling of holes bit too.

I am environmentally aware and wouldn't blatantly pour diesel out willy nilly .... the paint brush does the trick ...

Is there anything poison that I can put down that will kill the tree before I get it cut it down?

The 'poison' is usually applied after the tree is cut down to kill the root. No point in poisoning a massive tree before cutting it down, as it may drop branches etc. before you get around to cutting it down completely.
Two article you should read before you take action.........

Tree laws in Ireland-- Legal requirements for tree felling.

Stump killing

Never poured the diesel .... I've 'painted' it on the exposed stump. And I've done the drilling of holes bit too.

I am environmentally aware and wouldn't blatantly pour diesel out willy nilly .... the paint brush does the trick ...

Apologies if I suggested you were an enviro unfriendly savage, I should have been more careful with my reply. Painting the diesel sounds a better idea.

I would like to kill a tree that is on my property. The tree is a non-native tree. My next door neighbour reckons it is there 40+ years. ........

The reason I want to kill it is because it obstructs my view and shades my garden. .........

Alternative solution - if it is 40 years old it must have some size of tree trunk. Why not cut it down to about 8 foot and install a tree house on top of it for the kids? Or a "dog house" for yourself when your partner is being "unpleasant"?

I would kill to have a 40 year old tree on my property. I planted some but they are just 3 years old.....

Hi, my mum got advice off a gardener of 50 years and he scut it to the stump, pour tree killer over it, some poision anyway, drill a few holes and cover it with a black plastic bag holding down with stones and it will rot away (presumably because rain won't wash it away, he then came with his tractor and scooped it up after a month. Gone, now she has a japanese maple there. Lovely!

I would kill to have a 40 year old tree on my property. I planted some but they are just 3 years old.....

Younger trees absorb more CO2 than older ones...

As others have suggested, you could make a feature out of the stump, how about making it the base of a table?
Leo

Younger trees absorb more CO2 than older ones...

As others have suggested, you could make a feature out of the stump, how about making it the base of a table?
Leo

A 40year old tree makes for a great tree swing? OK the base makes a good table too. And the Japanese Maple can go alongside her dead sister...

A word of warning though, beware of planting next to stumps as Honey fungus may begin to thrive as your stumps rot.

I would like to kill a tree that is on my property. The tree is a non-native tree. My next door neighbour reckons it is there 40+ years. I have discussed this with the neighbour and he is happy with my suggestion to destroy it.

The reason I want to kill it is because it obstructs my view and shades my garden. I have 3 other simialr trees in the garden plus dozens of other shrubs which I want to keep. I know these are selfish reasons to get rid of the tree but that's the way it is.

Why not get a price on the whole lot ? We used this www.pickapro.ie/tree-stump-shrub-removal/Stump+Stompers/ and had no problems very good took all tree waste away and done stumps all I had to do was put down grass seed

Last edited:
Any tree over ten years old needs the permission of the gards. I had 18 trees downed recently, (tree fellers from eastern europe).....
enough wood for 5 years of fire.

If you want to kill the tree (legally or illegally is none of my business) put a ring of copper nails around the tree (roof nails)

Pour male urine into the drill holes regulary for a couple of weeks or alternatively get a handful of urea from the local farmer and throw that into the holes.

As the tree is so big and close to your house, is there not a risk of subsidence/heave if you kill it?

Back