To buy a Ford Focus/Mondeo here or in NI

philipb

Just wondering if people still think there's value in importing a Focus or Mondeo from the north/UK and paying the VRT etc... or are car dealers here now worth a visit because they're offering greater value?
For reference, I would be looking to buy a 08 or 09 low emissions car to take advantage of lower taxes.
And if you buy a used car outside of ROI will manufacturers warranties be honoured here?
Many thanks!

Hi Philip,
I bought the following in Belfast, from a reputable Ford dealer, back in April...

08 Ford Mondeo, 1.8 Diesel, Hatchback, 8500 miles on the clock, alloys, cruise control, aircon, ISOfix, rear sensors. Not a scratch and it still has 2 years warranty left which is recognised in all EU countries.

It cost me 12,100 Euro cash + 4,200 Euro VRT. I did not have to trade in which probably wasn't an option anyway.

Drove home from Belfast with a big smile on my face.... R

PS - GB/Euro Exchange rate was good back then

I am looking at buying a similar 08 diesel mondeo in NI also. It's strange but prices have gone up since I started looking about 5/6 months ago. Then you could get one for 11k str now it's 12k str ? But still even with disimprovement in exchange rate still will save a few grand.

Are ford repairs \ service costs less than Toyota ? Also considering 08 dsl toyota Avensis.

Got the Toyota Avensis 08 TR D4D 08 11,500 miles Disel a few months back 16,500 euro all in.
It is worth the trip up and you do save.Did notice as you said prices have gone up by around 1000 to 1500.

Apparently, due to very few sales of new vehicles in the Uk and presumably Northern Ireland there is a shortgage of 1-3 year old cars of the main brands especially diesels.

Bought jeep up north 8 months ago, saved a few thousand.

1. You can haggle a few hundred pounds off easy
2. Make sure you know the Co2 emissions to calculate VRT
* You can contest vrt if deemed market value is higher than actual market value
3. Dont buy sterling in bank, get a quote from your bank and compare with
Currency.ie and save a few hundred euro.
4. Get independent check done on the car to avoid any surprises.

Got the Toyota Avensis 08 TR D4D 08 11,500 miles Disel a few months back 16,500 euro all in.
It is worth the trip up and you do save.Did notice as you said prices have gone up by around 1000 to 1500.
super price and I think the TR spec was a special intorduction car that came with sat nav and a lot of extras, correct me if I'm wrong

Hi Philip,
I bought the following in Belfast, from a reputable Ford dealer, back in April...

08 Ford Mondeo, 1.8 Diesel, Hatchback, 8500 miles on the clock, alloys, cruise control, aircon, ISOfix, rear sensors. Not a scratch and it still has 2 years warranty left which is recognised in all EU countries.

It cost me 12,100 Euro cash + 4,200 Euro VRT. I did not have to trade in which probably wasn't an option anyway.

Drove home from Belfast with a big smile on my face.... R

PS - GB/Euro Exchange rate was good back then

Just checking on the maths.
How much would this have cost here.
If vrt here is 25%...then this would give a value of 16,800e for the same car here
12,100+4,200=16,300......a saving of 500 and apparently 1 to 3 year old cars have since increased by approx 1000e
It hardly seems worth the hassle or is it?

O.K. the mondeo in nenagh is 23k
25% of this is 5750 How come only 4200e was paid by the guy who bought it in belfast.
even so 12100 +5750 is about 18k so a definite saving
For used cars costing about 5k for example a toyota avensis 2003 50k miles,the savings would be much less

Hello all,

Tax is a percentage of the expected retail price, including all taxes in the State. This price is known as the Open Market Selling Price or OMSP. The VRO calculate this tax for you but you obtain the details online at... https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showVRT

Here's an example using the spec of the car I bought...

VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX (VRT) ENQUIRY
Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) Calculation. CO2 emissions input by Revenue.
DATE: 25 July 2009 TIME: 11:42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STATISTICAL CODE: 41786236
MAKE: FORD
MODEL: MONDEO 1.8 TD (From Aug. 1996)
VERSION: CI ZETEC 125 BHP 6SPEED 05DR / HATCHBACK / MANUAL / DIESEL /
CO2 EMISSIONS: 154

MILEAGE: 8500 MILES
DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION: APRIL 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE: €21298
RATE OF TAX: 20%
VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
(payable on enquiry date) €4259

This calculation is valid only for 15 days from the date of enquiry and only on presentation of this printout

Back