Tipperary town restaurant

coleen

going to tipperary town shortly does anyone know of nice place to have dinner at night and activites to keep me busy for a few days

stayed in the glen of aherlow last october bank holiday weekend, and can confirm that there is nothing even close to a nice restaurant in Tipperary town.

Coleen,

there's nothing in Tipp Town honey! Try Dundrum House & Golf Club in Dundrum village, about 10mls from Tipp Town. Meals are ok and fairly reasonable.

WP

now i am getting worried about spending 3 nights in the area i will check out dundrum i have heard of the golf course

!!!!!! There is a sports complex, swimming pool, cinema, forest walks, 3 18 hole golf courses as regards things to do in tipp town.
There are restaurants like "The Stables" "Papillon", Chinese, Indian, Hotel Restaurants etc to eat in. OK its not like Kinsale as regards goumet food what do what in a provincial town?

Dundrum is nice for food-got to the restaurant in the main hotel if possible.The venue restaurant quality isnt as good-Bar restaurant.

Being from Tipperary, I can assure you that the town has some excellent restaurants. "The Stables" on Main St is top class, "Noble House" is an excellent chinese restaurant on the Cashel Road and "Papillon" on Davis St is very agreeable. That's not to mention the Indian restaurant on St. Michaels St., the 2 other chinese restaurants which are always busy and the Peak restaurant on the Main St. (which I have yet to try). For those with simple tastes and hearty appetites, the "Brown Trout" restaurant is excellent.

A couple of miles outside the town the best restaurants are Hannah Maes in Thomastown (on the way to Cashel), Aherlow House Hotel and Ballinacourty House (both in the Glen of Aherlow).

Dundrum is alright - not a patch on the Stables or Hannah Maes and nowhere near as good as AHH or BH.

As for activities, there is an excellent cinema, a theatre, loads of lively bars and for the sporty types there is a sports complex, 3 x tennis clubs with all-weather facilities, 3 x 18 hole golf courses and an abundance of forest walks and nature trails inthe surrounding areas.

WillyPat and Boombocker - take note.

thanks for all that info can you tell me about the golf courses we are hoping to play ballykisteen what other one is worth going to are they wet under foot at the moment we are stayiny in the ramada any opions on it please

red/angry man- you sound like your from bord failte but id have to agree with you about the stables-couldnt remember its name-nice quality restaurant. I would definitely have reservations about the brown trout however.

Goldman - I've nothing to do with Bord Failte. I just don't like people knocking Tipperary without good reason. A few years ago it was very bad, but has improved steadily in recent years. The Brown Trout isn't everyones cup of tea, but it caters for the "hungry male" market and is a local landmark, especially as a few years ago it was the ONLY restaurant in Tipperary.

Coleen - As a golfer myself I can recommend Dundrum House as the best course in the area. It's a very challenging course with lovely scenery. Ballykisteen is a decent course. It's still new so lacks a bit of of character but the greens are excellent and it's adjacent to the Ramada. The other course is Tipperary Golf Club. It's a lot older than the other two so has loads of character and might be easier to get a game midweek. The bar/restaurant is lovely too. Forgot to mention that earlier...

As for the Ramada - it's only open a short while but so far I've heard mixed reports. Restaurant is getting some mixed reviews and the one night I was there I found the bar service very poor. On the plus side it's well laid out and very well designed and with a golf course on it's doorstep you can't go wrong. Enjoy your stay anyway. Let us know how you get on in Tipp anyway.

thanks for all the help being from a provencial town myself i am not expecting bright city lights but good food always helps so thanks for putting me in picture i am now looking forward to my trip to tipp

Back