Timing belt warranty??

asking7

I recently (Feb '11) had the timing belt/kit replaced in my Seat Ibiza. According to my garage man everything that needed to be changed was changed i.e. Belt, water pump, tensioner etc.
However, after less than 10,000 miles with this belt it has snapped resulting in 6 valves being bent :(
I feel that I should be covered in some sort of way -either by the garage or the belt manufacturer (Gates)

Any advice or comments welcome...

I got done by a company that imported a trade car from the UK for me.

They assured me over the phone that the timing belt had been replaced. I left it in for a service last week 70k on the clock and the mechanic discovered that the belt had never been replaced.

The company has disappeared now and the website is even gone.

Did this happen while you were driving the car ?

Similar thing happened to me but it happened while my car was being repaired by the garage. Garage would take no responsibility and told me it was not their fault. Got awared half the damages in court last month :)

The garage should have given you a receipt that is your warranty.

No way you should be liable for that.

My brother took his car to a main dealer especially to get the timing belt done. The timing belt broke soon after but my brother didn't go after the garage, which he should have in my opinion. In my opinion the belt wasn't changed at all.
That said i had issues with a garage claiming to have changed both front wheel bearings and one wheel bearing failing very soon after and causing further damage. And I didn't take action either :( . The only satisfaction i take is that my man never got any more work off me and I blacken his name whenever i can.

I've found a nice mechanic since that is trust worthy and is very price competitive. But i have to buy the parts myself for the repairs which is not really an issue either.

the garge will have insurance against this sort of thing, my mate has often had to claim from his policy due to situations like this, you should not have to pay, and he may not me 100% at fault, but he at least has something to fall back on unlike you.

waste of time going after gates, wont get any joy there, and they are the best belts to use, often they are the OEM parts too

Back