Time off entitlements from weekend days spent abroad with work

muzaway

I spent two weekend days (not working ) abroad this year while on a ten day company trip.

Can anyone tell me if I entitled to time in lieu for these days, given that while I wasn't working on these days I was away from home and thus not free to do as I pleased.

Thanks,

Muz

Generally companies will give you time in lieu for this. Other situations which arise are if you were traveling to or from a foreign trip on a weekend, you generally get your time back from the company.

Miner said:
Generally companies will give you time in lieu for this. Other situations which arise are if you were traveling to or from a foreign trip on a weekend, you generally get your time back from the company.
Really? Not in my experience although I've never asked in several different jobs.

My boss has informed me that as I was not working during the weekend in question I won't be getting time in lieu for the days. I guess if it is down to company policy then that is that.

I asked about the issue on this forum because this company doesn't have a HR person so I'd be worried that both I and my boss wouldn't know if there were standard entitlements in these matters.

Thanks for your answers,

Muz

muzaway said:
My boss has informed me that as I was not working during the weekend in question I won't be getting time in lieu for the days. I guess if it is down to company policy then that is that.

I asked about the issue on this forum because this company doesn't have a HR person so I'd be worried that both I and my boss wouldn't know if there were standard entitlements in these matters.
So is there really a policy, or did your boss give the answer that suited him? If you're feeling stroppy, ask to see a copy of the written policy.

In the company I work for, if you are abroad in the UK, France, etc and are not working at the weekends you get your expences in the normal way for the days in question.

Ive never heard anyone complain, even some fairly assertive trade unionists. The company does not make a distinction between hourly paid and salaried people in this regard.

aj

muzaway,
in my last company, we received a daily allowance for the days spent travelling / days off while away from home. Receipts were not required so we could spend little and pocket the difference if we wanted. Frequent travellers sometimes made an arrangement to get time in lieu.
in my current company, we receive only receipted expenses up to a specified limit per day, but we are paid for the hours of travelling at normal hourly rate (the hours are agreed in advance). we wouldn't be paid for normal weekends off on an extended trip however.

hth.

I've never worked for a company that did per diem expenses either - only ones that paid vouched for expenses (other than minor unvouched for expenditure).

Thanks everybody,
I suspect that I got the answer that suited, however the trip was months ago so I should have raised the issue back then.

We get a daily allowance in this company but have to account for all expenditure so unlike your old company Mel we can't pocket the change! :(

Cheers,

muz

It would seem to me that you should in future fly home on the Friday evening and back again on the Sunday night/Monday morning.

Murt

Yeees,
In Europe this would be practical but from Asia or US I think I'd need a loan of Berties' GulfStream to make it worth my while :)

Still my business trip days are over for the time being.

No, you claim it as a receipted expense. Then either they don't send you on any more trips, or you come to a more agreeable arrangement for future trips!

Long-haul airlines often hike up prices for return flights if you aren't staying a Saturday night, in order to gouge business customers. Sometimes my company has asked me to stay an extra night, in order to save on air fare. This has led to similar discussions about leave entitlement.

I suspect it's a grey area. The company attitude was very much "sure won't you be glad of a shopping day in da big smoke!", which pissed me off somewhat (especially as I earn extra income from a side-line at weekends.).

Back