Timberframe build; Wind in cavity and entering house? Options?

fmmc

Hi folks,

my house is a timberframe build, standard insulation detail in external wall panels and the outer leaf of the property is constructed using Hallmark brick. Like another poster, I know wind is passing through the outer leaf and swirling around in the cavity between this outerleaf leaf and the internal timberframe. The wind is also finding a way through the insulated frame in the odd place also as mild currents can occasionally be found at the odd electrical socket ope & where recessed lights are fitted in a couple of bulkheads through the house. Clearly this is compromising the insulation envelope of the house. I'm presuming the wind is passing into the cavity primarily through either:
1. Weepvents in the stone outerleaf
2. Permavents in the soffit
3. At the window reveals where there is a gap between the window frame & inside surface of the outer blocks.

Given that there is nothing I can do to resolve either issue noted on points 1 and 2 above, I'd appreciate any advice as to how best to address the gaps at the windown reveals (some of which are considerable). Should I employ someone to point with a sand/cement finish or use a flexible silicone product (same colour as window frames) to seal the gap.

I'd appreciate any advice on the matter.

Thanks in advance.....mmc

This is different to the problems arising on the other thread, although superficially it is similar.
Cavities in concrete construction are ventilated by default through the weep holes above the heads of opes. they are not intended to be fully vented per se

Timber Frame construction has weep holes as described above, but it also has vent holes below the DPM at ground level and at the top of the walls just below the eaves.
These are intended to fully vent the cavity, from below the sole plate to just below the eaves, to carry away moisture that may have condensed on the outer surface of the building paper used to face the outer surface of the timber frame/inner leaf.
Timber frame construction from say the mid-nineties to the mid to late noughties are not usually built with sealed building paper, but in the last few years the issue of wind-proofing the insulation layer has arisen as knowledge of building physics in the area of thermal performance has improved.

Given that the services are usually inboard of the quilted insulation I fail to see where the wind is coming from and wouldn't be too concerned beyond sealing the penetration.
Gaps between windows internally should be sealed, but externally these may be a form of intentional open joint detail - I cannot determine this remotely.

Downlighters are a difficulty, since they usually penetrate the ceiling which contributes to the 30 minutes fire resistance of the construction.
Under the attic they breach the vapour check designed to limit the migration of water vapour in the air through the insulation above.
If they are covered with insulation in the attic they can be a fire hazard, if ventilated, they are a cold spot when turned off.

ONQ

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Thanks onq. Gaps around windows internally are sealed. I suspect extnernally, they're not an intentional open joint details. The various blocks/bricks in the Hallmark range differ slightly in terms of thickness and rather than having them plumb at the back & this tight to the window frame, they look like the builder has them plumb at the front face to avoid looking like they step in and out, thus contributing to the gap. I suspect the insulation where the rafters meets the header plate is not perfectly snug, thus allowing wind to enter & small currents generate between the rigid kinspan & plasterboard. I've also a large bulkhead in one room where the sunroom meets the gable of the main house and I suspect I have a detailing (in terms of insulation detail) problem at this junction. In this bulkhead I have a few downlighters and wind is most prominent at these opes. Had considered filling behind this bulkhead with insulation. Appreciate it is difficult to comment without seeing the property.

Back