Timber over a free standing stove

joshea

Have installed a stanley tara stove

Its free standing

Am wondering if it is safe and ok with insurance to put a solid oak mantle over it

The mantle will be 18 inches over the actual stove itself ???

Was also considering granite as the backing and the hearth are blach granite also
:confused::):confused:

Why don't you ring the insurance and ask them?
They may need to see a set of drawings.

These should comply with Part B.
You need a designer's advice.

ONQ

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Not unless the manufacturer does an optional timber mantelpiece attachment :)

ONQ

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Get your hands on a brochure for that particular stove it will show recommended dimensions of how close objects ie surrounds etc can be.
Or google it.
I have a wooden sleeper over my Waterford Stanley Erin and its fine.
It sits on a granite hearth too and that is fine. My backing is bricks.

Not unless the manufacturer does an optional timber mantelpiece attachment :)

Manufacturers of ovens and hobs all specify minimum clearance distances around their applienaces. I have no personal experience with stoves, but would assume their installation instructions should also be very clear in this regard. Why hire a 'designer' to tell you something the manufacturer should for nothing?

The manufacturer may offer his opinion on a distance - if that.
This mayrelate to the kind of flue and the heat produced by the appliance
Unless he refers to the regulations it may not be useful in terms of safety or compliance.
Unless there is a custom fixing the rest of the manufacturer's comments may be of limited use.

The look, size, grain, finish and supports have to be considered.
That's where the added benefit of using a designer comes in.

But by all means, use a ruler to position a plank.
Then hope for the best :)

Back