Timber framed homes - Standard Construction?

AJC

My sister lives in a timber framed semi detached house in a large housing estate. There is <to my untrained eye> blocks around the timber frame so it looks like a standard house.

One of the questions on her house insurance form is "Is the dwelling built standard construction unaltered or renovated since completion" She has answered yes to this.
She wants to make a claim, and it is being repudiated by the insurance company.

Should she be able to claim? If so, what should she do next?

Hi,
Insurers will treat as standard construction but if in doubt let them know.
The building will be blocked faced and concrete roof anyway

Timber frame is 'standard construction' and becoming more mainstream, The blockwork on the outer leaf is a cladding and technically has nothing to do with the structural frame (only that it is tied to it)

they are only looking for for instances of non standard construction such as mud walls etc

You should have nothing to worry about on this front

On what grounds?

It is being repudiated on the basis that it is a wooden frame construction, and that it was not disclosed as that on the proposal form, and that wooden frame construction is not "standard" construction

Their assumption is that the house is
At least 75% of it consists of standard building materials, such as brick, stone or concrete with a slate or tiled roof

This is from one of the very large home insurers.

Hi,

I am an Insurance Loss Assessor and I am appointed by the policy holder to handle their property damage claim.
To Quote:
It is being repudiated on the basis that it is a wooden frame construction, and that it was not disclosed as that on the proposal form, and that wooden frame construction is not "standard" construction

If the external walls and roof are of standard construction i.e. built of brick or concrete and roofed with slate or tile your claim cannot be turned down.(assuming that the cause of loss is covered under your policy)

You have a number of options;

1) You can appoint a loss adjuster to represent you(a fee is charged generally 10% of the calim settlement plus VAT of 21%)
2) Refer the matter to the Insurers Mediation service (see your policy) for more information
3 Refer the matter to the Insurance Ombudsman
4 Discuss this with the company or beoker that you took the policy out with(did they misrepresent you?)

If I can help let me know.

Regards,

Ed

Back