Tiling Dilemma! Tile under kitchen/utility units or tile up to them?

ccon

I have a bit of a tilling dilemma as to whether to tile all the Kitchen and Utility floors before the units go in or wait till the units are in and tile up against them...

What is the best solution to take?

Re: Tilling Dilemma! Tile under kitchen/utility units or tile up to them?

Put the units in first and then tile the floor up to and slightly beyond the kickboard. Looks much better and all your units are on solid level concrete.

I would suggest doing entire kitchen. You never know whether you may want to rearrange kitchen at some stage, exposing the un-tiled part. There is a very good chance you won't find same tiles again in 5 or 10 yrs time.

Would you want the same tiles in 10 or more years time, with faded grout and chipped bits? I would go with tilling up to and slightly under the units and spend the extra money saved on an extra treat for yourself.

we were pricing kitchens this weekend and we asked the same question. he said to tile the whole kitchen as if there ever was a leak say from the sink, then the water would build up under the unit and you would not know about it where as if it was all tiled, the water would flow out and a less risk of the tiles being damaged or water getting underneath the tiles...made sense to us

People generally change tiles when changing the kitchen, so I'd be against tiling fully under the units.

I plan on tiling just beyond where the kicker board will sit, and also tiling under appliances - i.e. dishwasher. This will help against water damage and ensure it's easier to get the appliance in and out.

we were pricing kitchens this weekend and we asked the same question. he said to tile the whole kitchen as if there ever was a leak say from the sink, then the water would build up under the unit and you would not know about it where as if it was all tiled, the water would flow out and a less risk of the tiles being damaged or water getting underneath the tiles...made sense to us

That's is the No 1 and best argument for getting the kitchen tiled before the units go in.

If you change your tiles in the future you can break out as far as the press kickboard which will still leave you with the same warning system for leaks

Have to say that sounds a fairly convincing arguement even if it does cost a few bob more.

however if you are planning on an Island unit then it should be tiled beforehand.
Makes the job look a lot better as it is quite difficult to tile around an island if everything is not exactly square.

I recently got my kitchen done, and tiled the entire floor. It looks great - especially since i took off the kickboards and exposed the stands of the cupboards. It makes the whole kitchen look larger and is a cinch to clean the kitchen, mopping under the presses.

The only thing i would be careful of (from bitter experience) is to make sure that your worktop is raised to factor in the extra height of the tiles. If you don;t raise, you will be unable to remove your appliances for servicing. Obviously this won't arise if you fitting a new kitchen, but if you are refreshing an existing kitchen by replacing aged lino etc, it is definitely something to be aware of.

I just tiled to the nearest full tile behind the kickboard- no sense in wasting money on tiles that are never likely to be seen. However if you do want to do this a good tip I was given (but never used) is to use a cheap, large format tile underneath the units- you get a clean, all-tile job but using a cheapie tile where it won't be seen.

I just tiled to the nearest full tile behind the kickboard- no sense in wasting money on tiles that are never likely to be seen. However if you do want to do this a good tip I was given (but never used) is to use a cheap, large format tile underneath the units- you get a clean, all-tile job but using a cheapie tile where it won't be seen.

This would work for the leak/levelling argument, but not for the moving units argument. I'd strongly recommend tiling everywhere if teh budget will allow. Changing floor tiles is not an easy job at the best of times

Unless you make structural alterations (like removing a wall or building on and extending your kitchen space) the chances that your kitchen plan will change is remote IMHO.

We tiled the whole floor area, you just never know if you will want to move something or other. in our case all our downstairs is the same tile throughout, so god forbid we ever would change the tiles, the kitchen yes probably. but hopefully not for a long time.
I like NiallPs idea of taking off the kickboards and putting nice legs on too!

In the overall scheme of things, surely it doesnt cost that much to tile everywhere, our L shaped kitchen is around 9m between the two walls, at €30 a square metre for tiles and €17sqm for tiler would it cost around €300 + grout and adhesive to tile under the units? Not a huge amount. I may be wrong and stand to be corrected, actually would love to know for sure if anyone wants to enlighten me.

I actually thought the only people who didnt tile under the units, would be builders who have the overall job ie cutting costs?

We also have an island and tiled under that completely too, actually did end up moving it as it was too close for my liking to the units

We tiled the entire floor, and later [just a few months after we moved in] we moved some units to make a dining counter, thus making the room much more liveable.
It helps to keep your options open.

Tile the whole floor it is then:D

hey I like the idea of removing kickboards and leaving it open under units - the legs on our units are fairly ugly though, is there any clever way of making them look nicer?

just realised removing kick boards wouldn't work if you have integrated appliances like we do

Unless you make structural alterations (like removing a wall or building on and extending your kitchen space) the chances that your kitchen plan will change is remote IMHO.

Basic layout mightn't change, but details might (e.g. an island unit that's 100mm different in one or more dimensions).

LIDL had a good product a few weeks ago.. a water alarm which is designed to be placed under kitchen cabinets and it will warn of any leaks.. similar to a smoke alarm but for water...

Cheers
Joe

Back