Tiler costs

25euronote

Have checked previous threads, but are a little out of date. I have 20 sq met. of 33 x 33 tiles to fit, was quoted 15 euros sqm, for cash by polish tiler. I know his work is good, but am wondering if his price is a little expensive. What is the going rate at the moment? any one any ideas?

if you've seen his work and know that its good why would you haggle over the price? tiles are a semi permanant job ie they are usually down for years. so why not go with a tiler whose work YOU KNOW TO BE GOOD.

I agree with Donee... best to go with someone you know is good... 15 euro per sqm is about right ... have heard of much higher rates

I agree the devil you know is better than the one you dont, however given the current economic climate and the fact that this guy is on the dole and has not worked for 2 months, other than small nixers, I think the price is steep. After all Im paying for the work out of net pay and not gross pay.

I agree with Donee... best to go with someone you know is good... 15 euro per sqm is about right ... have heard of much higher rates
A tiler from Wicklow went to court last week to sue an architect for payment for tiling work carried out in his Ballsbridge House. Cost was €75 per sq meter!!!

Does that make €15 psm sound any better? :)

A tiler from Wicklow went to court last week to sue an architect for payment for tiling work carried out in his Ballsbridge House. Cost was €75 per sq meter!!!

Does that make €15 psm sound any better? :)

Depends on what type of tile he was putting down.

Depends on what type of tile he was putting down.
They were apparently 'stone tiles'. Wouldn't have thought it would have made that much of a difference, but then I've never had any stone tiling done.

The total invoice for labour only was €14,500 for a bathroom floor, kitchen, dining, sitting and front room and two hallways.

How long do you think it'll take?

If it's 20 sqM at 15 each then it's 300 in total.. do you think he'll be done in one day or will it take two days? Doesn't seem to be too much scope for reductions, unless it can be done in a day..

however given the current economic climate and the fact that this guy is on the dole and has not worked for 2 months, other than small nixers, I think the price is steep. After all Im paying for the work out of net pay and not gross pay.
What do you mean ? Are you going to pay him cash and defraud revenue ? You should make sure you pay him by cheque and get a receipt at the very least.

We paid €630 to lay floor tiles in kitchen/utility room (26sq yds). Very steep in my opinion - took day and a half. He had to remove existing floor tiles. We made the mistake (I mean my partner!) of not getting a quote up-front.

What do you mean ? Are you going to pay him cash and defraud revenue ? You should make sure you pay him by cheque and get a receipt at the very least.

If hes a contractor, its not up to me to pay his tax , regardless weather its by cash or cheque.

I am aware of some foreign guys getting paid by cheque for some jobs. They get the cheque made payable to their landlord, the client thinks that they are working for an Irish builder. They then lodge the cheque to their landlords bank account as rent.
Landlord hasint a clue.

If hes a contractor, its not up to me to pay his tax , regardless weather its by cash or cheque.

I am aware of some foreign guys getting paid by cheque for some jobs. They get the cheque made payable to their landlord, the client thinks that they are working for an Irish builder. They then lodge the cheque to their landlords bank account as rent.
Landlord hasint a clue.

It has been noted in previous threads that in the event of issues arising that any legal action on your part is likely to be thrown out if it is determined that you had any knowledge that tax evasion was taking place.

What other guys, foreign or otherwise do has no bearing on your situation!
Leo

yes its not up to you if he pays tax but put his name on the cheque, and has he got insurance?or do you care?its in everybodys interest (including you) that vat is charged in this country

There is a difference between hearsay and fact.

Also where is the onus of proof in weather or not a contractor is paying tax ?

If one were to ask the contractor if he is going to pay tax , do I disbelieve him if he says he is?
Do I ask him if his turnover is sufficient for him to be registered for VAT?

What if hes only trading for a few months? The fact is that he has 18 months to register.

We're talking £300 here, is he to supply adhesive n grout or just fix, has he got corners/window reveals/door frames etc etc. Would you prefer he slows down and takes longer on the job to make you feel better?. If you know he does a good job...pay the man!.

We're talking £300 here, is he to supply adhesive n grout or just fix, has he got corners/window reveals/door frames etc etc. Would you prefer he slows down and takes longer on the job to make you feel better?. If you know he does a good job...pay the man!.

L shaped hallway, no saddles, no skirting, no bends or circular cuts, would do it my self only the wife wont let me, square 33 x 33 basic ceramic tiles. I supply everything.

Ive got an Irish guy, who has insurance, will supply a vat invoice if required, Ive seen his work, good enough, 10 euro sq yard.

My foreign friends quote was also per yard.

So I suppose, it brings home the reality that not everyone knows that we are in a recession:)

Paid 700 for 30 sq. yards a week ago. Ceramic floor tiles.

Steep yes but that was after asking for 3 quotes.

Paid 700 for 30 sq. yards a week ago. Ceramic floor tiles.

Steep yes but that was after asking for 3 quotes.

Was VAT included? Did you get an invoice? Was the tiler Irish? and was the 700 just for labor or did it include and of the materials?

Yeah, VAT included, Irish, no materials included at all.

Pricey enough I thought but it was the best of 3 quotes. He did a great job in fairness to him.

Back