Thinking of buying in Maryborough Woods, Cork

C

Champions

I'm looking at buying a 4 bed end of terrace house in Maryborough Woods, Cork. At €460k it is expensive but this seems a nice area. I would really appreciate comments from people who are familar with this area.
  • Is it mainly owner occupied or are there lots of rented properties?
  • Peak time traffic...How bad is it?
  • Any other issues I should take into account?
Thanks in advance

Its expensive allright.I live there and it is a nice and quiet area.Traffic in Douglas village can be a bit mad sometimes but you can walk there in 10 minutes.
Are you from Cork?

Yes Diddles, living in Carrigaline at the moment and looking to live nearer to the city.

I know many people who are renting in Maryborough Woods I'm not sure if that is the norm though. The peak morning traffic is bad if you want to go through Douglas.

wouldnt think there would be too much of a difference traffic wise between maryborough woods & carrigaline. For 460k you would get more than terrace in other parts of douglas

I concur with car03......I always find it amazing that people are willing to spend such enormous amounts of money to live in estates such as Maryborough Hill, Mount Oval etc. What are you buying....a house, or a brand?? What's so great about these places?

for 100k less would you think of Frankfield?
its a nice area and is on the kinsale road roundabout in about 2 minutes.
Maryb is v expensive and i do know a fair few renting - thats not necessarily bad as to cover a mortgage like that they would be "better" than the average tenants.
If you like it, buy it. But i concur blowing that money on a house when there are just as good around for less. Do you by any chance read Ross O'C in the tribune?....Roysh!
kidding ok!

Some valid points there but I know a few people living there so here's my five cents worth. It is mostly owner occupiers cos it's a bit pricey for buy to let investors. Douglas traffic can be avoided by going up Maryborough Hill and taking the slip roadonto the South link. It is expensive but its a well built & well planned estate in a nice setting not very far from Douglas Village andthat houses are probably a safe bet from a resale point of view. Like it or not Nelly places like Maryborough and Mount Oval
have a certan amount of prestige and people will (and always have) paid for it. Its the same in any city in the world. Its considerred a "trendy" place in Cork. A few of the Munster rugby team live around there.

yep but at last you note that the bottom line is that you are paying for the prestige. however go a little further up that hill and broadale / lissadell are not one bit impressive - just regular estates.

just think you are really paying well for that extra room. But if you like the area go for it. The traffic in my opinion is not all that bad its just that horrible roundabout at the shell station. Everywhere else traffic may be heavy but moves and can be avoided by just 10 / 15 min earlier in the morning.

I'd like to see these places in ~10 years time when there's gangs of bored teenagers hanging around..

We moved here 3 years ago and love it.We used to live near the city centre.We paid what we thought was a lot of money at the time 245k for a 4 bed semi which is now valued at 550k.The reason we went with MW is that you can walk to Barrys or any of the pubs in 10 mins flat.I would concur that 460k is a lot of money for a terraced home but this area is great.As for rented,yes there are a few rented but hey that happens everywhere.
Champions pm me if you have any other questions
The other thing is you will not lose money on the purchase.

D

Thanks Diddles.

Squonk, one of the things I like about MW is that it is divided into fairly small cul de sacs which should ensure large gangs do not hang around one particular area.

All sounds very positive (apart from the price!).....best of luck Champions if you make the move.

I've lived in Maryborough Woods for 3 years. It is an excellent location. Walk to douglas in 10 minutes. Drive to town in 10 minutes, via link rd.
or depending on what time you're on the road, through douglas....People are of the belief that you're only paying for an address, but at the end of the day, I'd rather a 2 bed appartment in douglas, then a 4 bed in Carrigaline....Its location is the key thing....Quality of life....who wants to spend over an hour travelling to/from work each day....There's no prestige thing about it, its a practical location...pure and simple....and a place where I'd have no hesitation recommending to someone to buy....its worth the extra money if you can afford it, and its also worth losing size for location. Thats my pennies worth anyway!

Bam said:
Like it or not Nelly places like Maryborough and Mount Oval
have a certan amount of prestige and people will (and always have) paid for it. Its the same in any city in the world. Its considerred a "trendy" place in Cork. A few of the Munster rugby team live around there.

I lived in Mount Oval for 2 years, after moving there without knowing that much about the area's reputation.

Sure, it's nice and bright, and it's handy having the shops in The Square, but the houses are no better than any bog standard house that you'll find pretty much anywhere. In fact, the layout of some of the units is quite poor. The sound insulation between houses is not great either - thankfully, we were blessed with extremely quiet neighbours.

The gardens are small enough, and despite the small cul-de-sac layouts, practically every house is overlooked by its neighbours, so you've no real sense of privacy.

The only thing that made Mount Oval "exclusive" was very clever marketing on the part of the developers... that and the people who fell for their sales pitch.

Let us know if you purchase and we can have a welcome party for you.
In your house of course:D

d

No problems.....if we move by April 9th we can make it a double celebration when Chelsea are crowned CHAMPIONS again!!!

Back