thinking of buying in Littlepace

missus09

Hi everyone,

First time buyer here thinking of buying in Clonee- will be relying on public transport for a while until I learn to drive. Any thoughts on the area? A little concerned that there are so many houses there for sale at the minute? Would it be more sensible to pay more money for a smaller house with a Castleknock address which may need refurbishment versus a "walk in" house in Clonee?

As far as Im concerned, this will be my first and only house ~Please help as its just such a great time to be buying!

Hi missus09
In my opinion i think you would be definitely be better over going for the smaller house in castleknock that may need some work on it, better area, better transport etc.

Castleknock still v expensive, some v good value to be got at the moment in littlepace, nice 3bed semis for €250ish

I would go Castleknock for longterm security as it will always be a sought after address,

Given that you are relying on public transport, you should go for Castleknock if u can afford it or St Mochtas in Clonsilla, its within walking distance of coolmine train station.

thanks for advice..its so hard to know what to do cos the houses in clonee are really fabulous for the price and Littlepace appears to be a real family estate and a great place to bring up children. Ah well back to the house hunt! should i be trusting estate agents with opening bids or are they simply made up sometimes to ensure a good price for a house???

If you are thinking of buying in Littlepace I would check out the history re:flooding. I know there were some issues a few years back as this land is low lying and has flooded a number of times. I remember before the land was built on it was uneven and the lower areas (closer to Clonee village) were flooded all winter. The ones in the old top field however would have been fine, so just check for each specific house you look at.

Littlepace seems a nice area. But for me its long way from the train, and theres a lot of traffic between it the M50 and thus town. If it were me I go where is closest to the best transport links. In Castleknock your only a 30 mins cycles to O'Connel Bridge. In the depths of Winters at peak that might be an hour or more in a car. Clonee is even further out.

Ive 2 different sets of friends who bought in Littlepace who have since moved out - both for the same reason, lack of public transport, facilities.

thanks! good value in castleknock at the minute..just not big houses but i suppose what one has, another doesnt u know! its such a great time to be looking to buy!

I had three friends in that area of Clonee that all moved out. None could sell there houses so they have ended up renting but at a reduced rate as per most places.
I would look at either Castleknock which has better facilities and transport or Dunboyne which will have it's own train station in no time and had a lovely country feel.

Location, location, location. It is all about the area. Better to buy the worst house on the best road than the best house on the worst road. Someone told me that years ago and it stands me in good stead.

I had somebody in work look at a beautiful house in a not so beautiful area, but his partner fell in love with the house which was done to a really high standard and wanted to buy it. I advised him against it and he really had to work to talk her out of it. They people selling had awful trouble selling in the end, even though the house was stunning.

Had friends in Clonee too and they moved out for same reasons. Not saying Clonee is a bad area or anything, just Castleknock is better area and thats why you get less for your money

Missus09

I know this is an old thread but better than starting a new one! Just wondering did you decide in the end?

We are looking in D15 at the moment and the price variation between say, Clonsilla and Castleknock seems to be about 100k! That's a big decision to make. Is it really worth it?

Clonsilla seems ok as an area but have to say I was never mad about the place because the road through the village seems so neglected, no cycle paths etc and you have the whole traffic snarl up at either end.

But to pay 100k more just to live in Castleknock instead? I don't know. Thoughts?

Luttrelstown would seem to be a nice in-between however there is very little for sale there at the moment. We've viewed a house there and another one in Riverwood but neither was right for us.

Should mention, we're in Clonee at the moment. It is a really nice area and we would are looking here too, just want to move to a bigger house with a green area nearby.

Apart from the obvious in that its a more expensive area. Theres lots of other reasons to be in Castleknock, family in the area, closer to work, closer to the M50, town, quieter area. But Castleknock has very few cycle lanes and has traffic too.

You don't really give any reason why you need to be in Castlenock though.

There's no particular reason apart from the advantages of it being a really nice settled area, near the park which is something we always wanted. This might be the only time in our lives we could ever afford it. So there's an opportunistic angle. We're going to view a house there so it could be decision time soon. There is very few of the type of house we want for sale at the moment. But as I said we like Clonee too - lots of cycle lanes. Just haven't found a house we want there. At the end of the day yes I am struggling with, why would we pay 100k to be in Castleknock? It's not snob value with me but take a drive around there and yes some of the estates are gorgeous.

Luttrelstown would seem to be a nice in-between however there is very little for sale there at the moment. We've viewed a house there and another one in Riverwood but neither was right for us.

Those areas you mentioned are in not Castleknock,Riverwood is in Carpenterstown.

Be careful when viewing as Estate Agents/Vendors will list an area as being Castleknock when its very obviously (to those who live locally) in Blanchardstown/Clonsilla etc the reason is simple they can add an extra 70-100k onto the price.

That area is very prone to burglaries.
Also I do believe that parts of Littlepace were effected with flooding during the freak weather. You might want to check this out ?

Hi AnnR-
Castleknock / Riverwood/ Carpenterstown are all lovely settled areas, well served by both the bus and the train to town, its near the park and near enough to the city. What draws you to C.Knock - Is it the availability of schools in the area or the fact that the train station itself is nearer (nearest station to Clonee is Dunboyne) + the journey to town is shorter?

Have you considered the areas around C.Knock such as Delwood / Brompton/ Glenville Coolmine / Mochtas?
They are still near the train lines/ Shops / Schools etc but not as expensive as Castleknock village.

Carallen2

We're looking all over Dublin 15 actually just not finding what we want for sale. I mention C'knock only as we are viewing a house there today and I am trying to figure out would I bother bidding on it as it is 100k more expensive. I'd be happy with the other areas if I found a house there! Viewed a couple of places in Riverwood and Luttrelstown but the houses weren't suitable for various reasons.

>> Hi AnnR-
Castleknock / Riverwood/ Carpenterstown are all lovely settled areas, well served by both the bus and the train to town, its near the park and near enough to the city. What draws you to C.Knock - Is it the availability of schools in the area or the fact that the train station itself is nearer (nearest station to Clonee is Dunboyne) + the journey to town is shorter?

Have you considered the areas around C.Knock such as Delwood / Brompton/ Glenville Coolmine / Mochtas?
They are still near the train lines/ Shops / Schools etc but not as expensive as Castleknock village.<<

Leonmahon, just because we can afford it doesn't mean I want to spend it . . . especially not unnecessarily . . . . I'm not really interested in paying for the whole cachet thing of being in C'knock, and trying to work out is there any real value in being there. Proximity to the park is the main value point we see in it at the moment - that might be worth it.

Back