Things that drive you nuts!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a group of supporters that travels in such vast numbers, Celtic fans have been praised by the police in cities the length and breadth of Europe, most recently last month in Norwich, where several thousand travelled. They were praised by the police and local papers for their behaviour.

Why should the claim that Celtic supporters were praised by police be offered as a virtue ? Why do people need to be thanked for not being a nuisance ?

I played GAA at school but as an adult I’ve become a keen rugby supporter. I have sat in the middle of a group of English fans in Twickenham wearing my Ireland top and cheered for my country. I’ve never had a problem. I’ve sat in the idle of a bunch of Munster fans wearing my Leinster top in Thomond Park and never had a problem. The same went when other supporters were sitting amongst Ireland or Leinster supporters. The same goes at GAA matches.
I wouldn’t describe any soccer club as open and inclusive. I’d describe them all as tribal and, to a lesser or greater extent, intolerant. It has nothing to do with passion or support, it’s not excusable.
The risk of violence for expressing your opinion is never acceptable.

Thanks for the info about the "Seltic" Celtic name.

I'm a bit of a Gaelic football fan myself, and while supporters can mingle inside the ground, rival supporters can still be the target of nasty abuse. I myself have experienced it at O'Moore park, being called a 'terrorist' amongst other things. I'd much rather stand or sit with my own teams supporters, be that at GAA games or football, but that's just my opinion. I agree with your point on the tribal nature of football, I suppose that's what appeals to supporters to a large degree. How would 'You'll never walk alone' look in a completely non segregated stadium? Not very good I'd imagine.

Why should the claim that Celtic supporters were praised by police be offered as a virtue ? Why do people need to be thanked for not being a nuisance ?
I was making the point that Celtic supporters are generally well behaved wherever they go, what's your problem with that? The police will often release statements after large events thanking the people that travelled for their good behaviour, no-one asks them to.

I was making the point that Celtic supporters are generally well behaved wherever they go, what's your problem with that?

I don't have a problem with that. I think it worthy of comment that someone should think that it is a virtue, e.g. my team is great cos it's supporters manage not to be a nuisance at away fixtures.

The police will often release statements after large events thanking the people that travelled for their good behaviour, no-one asks them to.

Must be a UK thing. I'm not aware of the Gardai making such unsolicited statements, e.g. any of the inter county GAA games last weekend.

Now you're making a different point entirely. As I said, you labelled Celtic supporters, as a whole, as sectarian towards Protestants. That is what I take issue with.

I didn't. Celtic supporters (in Glasgow at least) are made up of ~5% protestants, why would they be sectarian towards their own religion?

It would be ridiculous to interpret anything that was said to imply that ALL Celtic supporters were implicated. No significant demographic can ever be represented in such a manner, and to inerpret every statement as being all-encompassing is, to quote yourself, utter nonsense.

You suggested that Celtic supporters use the term 'green white and gold' instead of 'green white and orange', which is utter nonsense.

I offered a light hearted potential solution to another's question, but now that you mention it, I have heard a Celtic supporting friend describe it as gold recently! Does that mean he's sectarian???

If you take offence to such remarks in the LOS forum, then you might be best served sticking to the serious forums.

I don't have a problem with that. I think it worthy of comment that someone should think that it is a virtue, e.g. my team is great cos it's supporters manage not to be a nuisance at away fixtures.

Must be a UK thing. I'm not aware of the Gardai making such unsolicited statements, e.g. any of the inter county GAA games last weekend.

It's a bit of an Irish thing isn't it. We like to be told what great supporters we are.

Maybe it just contrasts with Glasgow Police's call for a Football Summit last year to address unacceptable sectarian behaviour.

It would be ridiculous to interpret anything that was said to imply that ALL Celtic supporters were implicated. No significant demographic can ever be represented in such a manner, and to inerpret every statement as being all-encompassing is, to quote yourself, utter nonsense.
My point exactly.
I offered a light hearted potential solution to another's question, but now that you mention it, I have heard a Celtic supporting friend describe it as gold recently! Does that mean he's sectarian???
You tell me!:eek:
If you take offence to such remarks in the LOS forum, then you might be best served sticking to the serious forums.
No offense taken at all Leo, the day that someone I don't know from the internet offends me, is the day I give up.

Maybe it just contrasts with Glasgow Police's call for a Football Summit last year to address unacceptable sectarian behaviour.
A cynical person might see a link between that and threatened cuts to the police budget. Not me though.;)

I don't think you seem to realise the function of those spots. They are not so parents and their children can get into the supermarket quicker than others. It's so there is less chance of a child being knocked down while walking through a car park.

Why can't people bring an umbrella if it's raining and if someone is suffering from a bad back or whatever then why are they going to walk around a supermarket if walking is a problem.

Actually, the function of these spaces is to provide extra wide spaces for getting baby seats and toddlers out of the car. No need for them to be by the door.

When the spaces are full do parents go home rather than risk there child being knocked down. No, they don't. They actually manage to steer them safely across a few yards of car park. I have rarely heard of a child being knocked down in a supermarket car park.

Re your second remark, maybe you have servants to do your shopping for you when you're not in great shape, but some of us are not that lucky.

Leave the extra wide spaces to the parents and children

Will save the little darlings from WHACKING the door off the car next to them and leaving a right nasty dent

Though there are adults who do this too!

Leave the extra wide spaces to the parents and childrenQUOTE]

The width of the spaces is more important than proximity to the door (though a pedestrian crossing does help). Many's the time I've been unable to get my three out of their car seat straps and out of the car door due to the narrowness of the ordinary spaces and people parking off-centre (though I'm not claiming to be the best parker in the world).

And once, at 8 months pregnant, returning to the car, I was unable to access my driver door due to someone parking too close. The rear left door was just about accessible, so I squeezed in, only to discover I couldn't get over the gear-stick and through the space between the front seats. And then I couldn't get out the back door again as I'd the child safety locks on. I had to tap on the window until someone let me out :eek: So do consider mothers-with-child too.

Eh no. That's a fairly recent introduction. I don't think accident statistics in shopping centre car parks changed dramatically as a result.

They did. The ESRI had a report on it but it was pulled after political pressure from the elderly and the infirm.

:D

They did. The ESRI had a report on it but it was pulled after political pressure from the elderly and the infirm.

:)

Marion

Neither of the above interest groups have anything to do with the issue of course

I know it's in the list somewhere but it's let down not left down!
I heard that again this morning.

People who wring out their wet togs on the FLOOR of the communal changing areas at swimming pools, despite the availability of sinks and free wrap-your-wet-togs plastic bags.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back