Them nippers are growing up too fast

No need for the sarcasm. It's a common occurence unfortunately. My friend dropped his daughter at a youth disco but on the way home realised she had left her mobile in the car so turned around to give it to her. When he arrived back, he found her with a bunch of friends near the disco removing their knickers before they went into the disco.
She was 14 too as I recall....

I wonder is this somewhat of an urban myth - because I heard the exact same story from a friend of mine via a friend etc. I have however observed a girl of about 18-20 in a disco bar wearing her thong around her ankle!.............. i'm sure her parents would be proud. I remember going out when I was a teenager, if I wore anything above knee length my dad promptly told me to get back upstairs and put on the skirt that goes with that belt!. :D

No need for the sarcasm. It's a common occurence unfortunately. My friend dropped his daughter at a youth disco but on the way home realised she had left her mobile in the car so turned around to give it to her. When he arrived back, he found her with a bunch of friends near the disco removing their knickers before they went into the disco.
She was 14 too as I recall....
Sorry - I didn't realise that you had TWO second hand reports of this sort of thing. I am totally convinced now. Thanks.

Why bother....:confused:

Don't let him bother you!

You are, of course, correct. About a year ago, there were reports in both the Sunday World and the Sunday Independent about one particular disco in South Dublin, the Wes in Wesley College. A reporter in the SW had gone undercover in the disco and had reported on certain sexual activities which were taking place there. I would imagine, as other posters have indicated, they might be common to other places too. The Sunday Independent then had a number of report defending the disco saying this was not the case. I could find the actual report but the one below should give you an idea that there were report along then lines that I indicated.

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/we-dont-need-drink-for-a-fun-night-out-1081375.html

I can understand Clubman's reaction in this case. Someone hears a story about girls who wrap their knickers around their wrists, someone sees several girls dressed up like they're out in the town and their logical conclusion is that 'kids are growing up too fast'. It's a blatant generalisation.

I doubt that someone who knew a group of twenty-somethings who regularly had one night stands or dressed a certain way would think that all twenty-somethings were like that, just like only a very naive person would assume that every retired person knitted or went to the bingo every weekend.

But I think young people are being lumped together by what we hear either in private conversation or in the media, and it always surprises me how quickly people accept negative information at face value. Tweenies/Teenagers are either hoodlums that wouldn't think twice about binge drinking and commiting crimes, or they are sex objects who dress provocatively and tie their knickers around their wrists. Somehow it's become common to fear or look down upon these age groups.

I'm sure parents out there (I'm not one of them, but I do sympathise as I was once that age too!) become annoyed with all these generalisations. There are plenty of kids who are well-mannered and perfectly happy to just go to a school dance and have a 'chaste' good time, but it's just more reports and talk about how young people are going to the dogs.

It always surprises me how willing people are to believe the worst - wouldn't you like to give children the benefit of the doubt? I remember how frustrating it was to be young and feel like I didn't have a voice or a say in the world, trying to find my own path in life, and have people tar you with the same stick as everyone else.

I can understand Clubman's reaction in this case. Someone hears a story about girls who wrap their knickers around their wrists, someone sees several girls dressed up like they're out in the town and their logical conclusion is that 'kids are growing up too fast'. It's a blatant generalisation.

I am not a prude but some of the videos that kids watch are way over the top, kids are being sexualized too young in life.
Its totally immoral.
Kids should be allowed to be kids.
As for the young girls, 10yrs to 14yrs, I saw I was referring to the make up not the dress sense.

I doubt that someone who knew a group of twenty-somethings who regularly had one night stands or dressed a certain way would think that all twenty-somethings were like that, just like only a very naive person would assume that every retired person knitted or went to the bingo every weekend.

We are not talking about 20 yr olds nor old people, who are adults that are responsible for their own actions, we are talking about young kids that we have a responsibility towards.

But I think young people are being lumped together by what we hear either in private conversation or in the media, and it always surprises me how quickly people accept negative information at face value. Tweenies/Teenagers are either hoodlums that wouldn't think twice about binge drinking and commiting crimes, or they are sex objects who dress provocatively and tie their knickers around their wrists. Somehow it's become common to fear or look down upon these age groups.

As you say yourself
It's a blatant generalisation.

I'm sure parents out there (I'm not one of them, but I do sympathise as I was once that age too!) become annoyed with all these generalisations. There are plenty of kids who are well-mannered and perfectly happy to just go to a school dance and have a 'chaste' good time, but it's just more reports and talk about how young people are going to the dogs.

I am one of those parents and I am concerned with the way things are developing.
I'm glad you admit you are not a parent.
When you are a parent come back onto AAM and talk of whether or not you approve of girls not even in their teens wearing revealing clothes.

It always surprises me how willing people are to believe the worst - wouldn't you like to give children the benefit of the doubt? I remember how frustrating it was to be young and feel like I didn't have a voice or a say in the world, trying to find my own path in life, and have people tar you with the same stick as everyone else.

I think this last section is basically part of growing up

S.L.F, not once did I say that it was right or wrong for kids to wear makeup or whether I approve or disapprove of kids wearing revealing clothes. My point is that it's a knee jerk reaction to assume that ALL kids are growing up too fast because you see/hear about SOME kids dressing and behaving like this.

How exactly should I show my responsibility towards these kids? Should I drag them back home and give their parents a lecture? And where would you draw the line? Should I show my social responsibility by telling their parents off for letting their kids use mobile phones (supposed cancer risk), be overweight (health risk) or teasing others (bullying)? Like it or not, I would never tell a parent how to bring up, dress or feed their child, even if I didn't approve of it.

It's easy to see the extremes out there and be upset and worried by the examples listed in this thread, but that does not mean that it is the norm.

S.L.F, not once did I say that it was right or wrong for kids to wear makeup or whether I approve or disapprove of kids wearing revealing clothes. My point is that it's a knee jerk reaction to assume that ALL kids are growing up too fast because you see/hear about SOME kids dressing and behaving like this.

How exactly should I show my responsibility towards these kids? Should I drag them back home and give their parents a lecture? And where would you draw the line? Should I show my social responsibility by telling their parents off for letting their kids use mobile phones (supposed cancer risk), be overweight (health risk) or teasing others (bullying)? Like it or not, I would never tell a parent how to bring up, dress or feed their child, even if I didn't approve of it.

It's easy to see the extremes out there and be upset and worried by the examples listed in this thread, but that does not mean that it is the norm.

I never suggested that you did approve of the things some kids are doing these days.
I think some of the videos on the likes of MTV and others are just too advanced for kids.
There was another recent thread about how kids are being sexualized, can't remember the name of it.
I think society has let them down, we in spite of our great wealth (none of which I have) have forgotten our most valuable resource, our children.

I believe if we got all our TVs and threw them out they'd be much better off (sounds like a new thread).

SLF

I believe if we got all our TVs and threw them out they'd be much better off (sounds like a new thread).

SLF
Agreed I went without a TV for about 2 months and listened my CD's and Radio 1 - always swore I would not watch as much TV but reverted to type. While we're at it we should throw out the Internet too. :D

Can you not just restrict what your kids watch?

I never suggested that you did approve of the things some kids are doing these days.
I think some of the videos on the likes of MTV and others are just too advanced for kids.
There was another recent thread about how kids are being sexualized, can't remember the name of it.
I think society has let them down, we in spite of our great wealth (none of which I have) have forgotten our most valuable resource, our children.

SLF

Agreed I went without a TV for about 2 months and listened my CD's and Radio 1 - always swore I would not watch as much TV but reverted to type. While we're at it we should throw out the Internet too. :D

Once lived in a house that only had R.T.E. 1 & 2 TV3 and the Irish channel.

It was heaven

Regarding the internet, take the good with the bad.

Can you not just restrict what your kids watch?

My boy is only 4 so I have great control over what he watches but the reality is that some of the stuff on TV is just filth and smut.

Back