theft query

squirrel

my friend works in supermarket on tills, a customer was caught stealing had items concealed under bags...my friend got a written warning surely that cannot be right...any advice

Can you be clearer about what happened.
Did your friend serve them and not see the items, see them and accuse the customer of stealing, or what?
What was the warning for?

My friend served the customer did not see the hidden items.. Did not actually get the written warning yet but was told about getting one...

Watching for hidden items is part of her job, so I'm not surprised she was spoken to about this, but I would have thought that unless she has a history of inattention that training would be more appropriate than a warning.

Does her manager/supervisor do any regular training, or test purchases to help the staff know what to look for? If not, that is something she should raise with them.

Thanks for that he said yes they do test purchases with him often... But there was no way he seen the hidden items in trolley

If the warning arrives - demand a copy of the CCTV if a you say he was attentive - it sounds to me that he may have just not followed procedures.

my friend works in supermarket on tills, a customer was caught stealing had items concealed under bags...my friend got a written warning surely that cannot be right...any advice

Sounds heavy handed;

Since warning is in writing , response should be in writing.

Suggest;

1. Write and ask how you could have seen the items?
2. If you have not spotted something that you should have spotted request some training to help the company in future.

In this way you do not create hassle on yourself.
In this way you give Shop an opportunity to train you.
In this way neither you or management descend into (blame) mode.

(dont thieves create more hassle than just the theft? )

Back