The Seanad!

R

Redbhoy

Is it possible now for Our 'government' (or whoever appoints senators) to appoint politicans from Northern Ireland to the Senate! I reckon Jeffrey Donaldson (its a pity hes not Green) would be a great choice! It would also help to Integrate unionists into a United Ireland in the coming years!

I believe that the Government is allowed a certain number of apointments to the Seanad. Gordon Wilson is one Northern Irish person (albeit not a politician) who was appointed for example. See for more information.

On a related issue the Government would arguably be better off reforming the Seanad to make it less anti-democratic by, for example, extending the franchise for election of some or all senators to the wider general public and not continuing to restrict this privilege to certain . Unfortunately my own alma mater (DCU neé NIHED) has the gall to claim to speak on my behalf (and that of all alumni) by calling for this privilege to be extended to just graduates of the newer universities without giving voice to dissenters such as myself who believe that a more radical overhaul is required... :\

has the gall to claim to speak on my behalf

I suppose by denying you a say in the matter they are at least being consistent. :)

-Rd

Whatever about extending the franchise for election of some or all senators to the wider general public I do think that some of the university sourced senators provide real value for money and also work hard to explain their positions.

For example :

[broken link removed]

Isnt it the case that the electorate elects the candidate they deserve ?

eDog ( no relation :) )

Isnt it the case that the electorate elects the candidate they deserve ?

In the case of the Seanad no - because the privilege to elect senators is not available to everybody of voting age.

Clubman,

I was more thinking in terms of The Present System

university electorates .... produce some worth having

others . ....................... Hmmmmmm

Then there are always Berties pets that didnt get seats as TDs the last time around... Isnt Mick O'Learys friend ( er Mary wazzername ) one of these ?

As for the plight of The Plain People of Ireland not having the privilege to elect senators.... in my view this is as nothing when compared to the way rates are charged by local authorities.

Rate payers do not have a vote in local elections !

How is that for a fine example of taxation without representation ?

eDog

As for the plight of The Plain People of Ireland not having the privilege to elect senators.... in my view this is as nothing when compared to the way rates are charged by local authorities.

Rate payers do not have a vote in local elections !

How is that for a fine example of taxation without representation ?

Good point. Is anybody aware of any groups or campaigns directed at redressing these examples of democratic deficit in our political system?

I'm sure old Redbhoy must be frustrated at the response his obviously provocative suggestion elicited.

Lets have Ian Paisley junior instead...eh, Redbhoy?
Keep winding.

Not really! It was a genuine question! I just wondering if they qualify now seeing as though they can claim dual citizenship. Ian Jr has a long way to come before he gets on a par with Jeffrey Donaldson!
P.S. I was well impressed with your reply re: Ian Paisley and terrorism in the Berties Apology thread! Keep up the good work!

I don't understand, why do rate payers not have a vote?

I presume it's because Rates are paid by businesses, but your local election vote is based on where you live. So if you don't happen to live where your business is you won't have a vote where you pay rates.

It's an interesting point.

-Rd

Didn't the idea that only rate payers got to vote in local elections cause a bit of a stir up North in the late 60's?

The Seanad

Didn't the idea that only rate payers got to vote in local elections cause a bit of a stir up North in the late 60's?

Which county or counties are you referring to- Cavan? Monaghan? Leitrim? Donegal? Louth? These are all "up North"; beyond them it is Northern Ireland.

Which county or counties are you referring to- Cavan? Monaghan? Leitrim? Donegal? Louth? These are all "up North"; beyond them it is Northern Ireland.
I stand most humbly rebuked geegee. I am in fact referring to the United Kingdoms province of Northern Ireland. I realise that there was no way that you could have figured that out from my last post and am glad that you pointed this out to me so that I could clarify it. After all "up North" is never used in every day parlance when referring to Northern Ireland and "down South" is only ever used when referring to Antarctica...

The Seanad

Oooh, no need to get narky, Purple. All of the counties I mentioned are "up north". Northern Ireland is, de facto, a seperate entity like Wales and Scotland are to England or Northern and Southern Cyprus. A prime example is the North Eastern Health Board - if Northern Ireland was geographically taken into the equation, it would be the East Midlands Health Board. Regarding the South, since when was Donegal in the "South"? It is in the Republic not South both geographically and politically, last time I checked.

Back