The Last Word - Today FM: Dunphy or Cooper?

RMCF

Simple question, who do you prefer:

Dunphy or Cooper?

Dunphy for me.

Re: The Last Word - Today FM

Dunphy & Meyers debacles - aaahhh the good aul days..

Dunphy because he's less scripted but sure then we'd say we miss Matt!

Cooper because it's easier to understand what he's saying.

I like Matt Cooper's show even though quite often he can't quite hide which side of an argument he favours, I never really heard Dunphy's.

Cooper for me.
I liked Dunphy; his rants were always entertaining (if not based on fact or logic) but Cooper is a much better interviewer.

Hook is biased, patronising, ill informed and just plain annoying.

Your wan on RTE is in way over her head.
The formulaic RTE reports get to me as well (music or sound recording from the site, a few lines from the reporter, more sounds, snippet from interviewee, substance of the piece, fade out with more music or sounds). It’s the same on moaning Ireland.

Don't like Hook,mostly the show content rather than him. Hate those 2 really annoying guys he has on about holidays and about america

Well said Purple. The Hook/Pope duo was a bit like 'Arry/Bruno. One knew what he was talking about. And a mutual admiration society took root. Got a few Limerick pals who think he (Hook) is a kind of demi God.

Have to say Cooper is better, but the one thing that gets on my wick is the amount of time he spends talking about Rugby during the sports sections. On Monday's half hour slot for sport, there was over 20 mins spent on Rugby, we had about two mins for soccer and then the show was over. Not much varied sport discussed. Similar on Friday where a far greater portion of the Sports section is spent on Rugby than the other sports!

Very annoying for someone who doesn't like rugby!

I preferred Dunphy on the radio, Matt Cooper is ok but a bit to excitable for my liking. In fact I think he may be turning into TodayFM's male version of Marian Finucane. Dunphy keeps most of his melodrmatics for the football commentry where they are best served.

Don't like Hook,mostly the show content rather than him. Hate those 2 really annoying guys he has on about holidays and about america

Michael Graham, the guy from Boston on Friday evenings? Imho he's fantastic! Different strokes for... :)

RTE 1 is car crash radio with that school teacher in the chair. Hook tends to talk more than his guests which is a bit annoying. Cooper is turning into that other Today FM gob$hite Ray Darcy with his self righteousness and holier than thou attitude. Dunphy was a good laugh at least especially when someone came on and criticised Roy Keane! Avoid all three now by listening to BBC Radio 5 live or Radio 4.

I like Matt but it was a different show when Dunphy did it. He had some great sports guests on and did some great interviews with them.

Cooper for me. He's the only guy I actually listen to as a podcast. I kinda like Hook, but he's not in the same ball park as Cooper. Dunphy is too opinionated.

. Cooper is turning into that other Today FM gob$hite Ray Darcy with his self righteousness and holier than thou attitude.

agreed. Dunphy was fun. Cooper is ok but boy does he have fixed ideas. on the question of immigrants or the Romanians on the roundabout thingy a few months ago he might as well have joined them. also the same on lots of other subjects. Not a all an unbiased journalist. quite the reverse but theres nothing else on at that hour to compete.

I used to enjoy Eamon Dunphy, especially his bets, and when his picks went horrendously wrong he used everything to convince us that he would turn it around. My one gripe was that while he included GAA and Horseracing and Rugby, not once did he ever has EL picks - and 2 times I remember him speaking about the EL, when Johnny Giles was on the phone, it turned onto an anti-Rovers tirade, almost as bad as listening to that bigotted clown George Hook has on (Mikey Graham) who made me switch stations each time he came on.

Dunphy was the business, Hook tries to be in, Cooper is interesting but can you tell the difference between him and David McW?

I used to enjoy Eamon Dunphy, especially his bets, and when his picks went horrendously wrong he used everything to convince us that he would turn it around. My one gripe was that while he included GAA and Horseracing and Rugby, not once did he ever has EL picks - and 2 times I remember him speaking about the EL, when Johnny Giles was on the phone, it turned onto an anti-Rovers tirade, almost as bad as listening to that bigotted clown George Hook has on (Mikey Graham) who made me switch stations each time he came on.

Dunphy was the business, Hook tries to be in, Cooper is interesting but can you tell the difference between him and David McW?

While I liked David McWilliams at first on the radio he bugged the ---- out of me by the time he finished.

Hook is a pseudo-liberal who panders to the populist view. He is very anti-American and sanctimonious about what he describes as his liberal views. I’d rather listen to RTE1 than Hook.

Cooper does have his limitations but on balance he’s the best option.

Cooper does have his limitations but on balance he’s the best option.

I agree. Dunphy can be entertaining ok and he's obviously no fool but his method of interviewing and phraseology I found eccentric to say the least. I also got the impression that he bluffed his way through a lot of stuff by making all the right noises and by overplaying the devil's advocate role a bit too much.

Although as others have said, it was a different type of show then anyway - I think he even played the odd bit of music if memory serves?

Back