"the highly competitive world of the homelessness charities!"

I suspect that the charity sector, despite its inefficiencies, might be more efficient that directly provided service.

Brendan
Correct - it also gets rid of a problem where PMVT repeatedly complained that council provided services were substandard - so councils, via the mechanisms of the homeless executive, largely offload the job of provisioning and running such services to PMVT and Focus. They can't criticise what they themselves are delivering.

Is €116m such a huge amount in the greater scheme of things? Such a sum might build only a few hundred homes and many of these charities do provide some housing and also deal with cases outside the norm such as people with other issues (addictions, psychiatric problems etc.) who are unlikely to be moving into a regular townhouse or suburban home and managing to be a good/stable neighbour any time soon?
Perhaps it would be useful for commenters to have a read of their financial reports:

Latest for PMVT is here
And Focus is here.

They both get access to considerable levels of state backed capital funding loans via the Housing Agency, which is why they have huge portfolios of properties between them. In addition, PMVT manages some properties on behalf of councils.

Page 29 > section 7.2 Charitable Activities > Staff Costs > ~EUR33Million.

Got to be wrong, right?
Or I'm missing/misunderstanding something.

Average headcount during the year was 766. (Page 31>Section 12).

Sure enough further down on page 31: Wages & Salaries EUR30.5 Million.

Really does sound high to me (without understanding how businesses/charities run or what proportion of turnover typically goes to Comp & Benefits).

Really does sound high to me (without understanding how businesses/charities run or what proportion of turnover typically goes to Comp & Benefits).

That's an average salary of less than 40k. The overall level may be high (I don't know?), but the average doesn't seem to be. I'd imagine the cost to income ratios in charities must be pretty varied given the absence of profit as a driver.

Is that full time equivalent or total headcount? I would guess that a considerable number of people employed by these charities work part time.

Again, I would guess that if these services were provided by the Councils, the headcount would be about double that.

They have a lot of properties. These need to be managed. They have a lot of clients who have high needs.

Brendan
Fair enough on all points wouldn't dispute any of it.
I suppose I was just shocked by the number coming from a charity. I had presumed naively they were pretty much all small operations.

Is that full time equivalent or total headcount? I would guess that a considerable number of people employed by these charities work part time.
They write elsewhere in the report about Whole Time Equivalents but I don't have the time just now to go back & review.

That's an average salary of less than 40k. The overall level may be high (I don't know?), but the average doesn't seem to be. I'd imagine the cost to income ratios in charities must be pretty varied given the absence of profit as a driver.
The wages and salaries costs should include employers prsi of 10.5% so average salary less than €36k

The wages and salaries costs should include employers prsi of 10.5% so average salary less than €36k
It doesn't. Social insurance costs are listed separately on the following line. Note 12 Staff costs on page 41.

There also seems to be an error in Note 13: Senior Management and Remuneration

The Charity has a total of 12 senior management staff whose total employee benfits (excluding employer pension costs) for the
reporting year exceeds €60,000 and a table has been prepared to accompany the report as required under DPE 022/05/2016
Circular: 131/2014.

The table tots up to 17 senior management staff,

Last edited:
From page 5, they have 530 Whole Time Equivalents plus a panel of relief staff who "have mixed availability to work on the front line" (I didn't know that they were sending people to Ukraine). I don't know if their relief staff are counted in the Wages and Salaries pot so it's hard to say what the average pay is but it's a lot more than €40k. I've no problem with that but I do have a problem with poor-mouthing. They have net assets of over €50 million and a large and relatively well paid staff. Fair play to them. I don't support them but others are perfectly entitled to do so.

Page 29 > section 7.2 Charitable Activities > Staff Costs > ~EUR33Million.

Got to be wrong, right?
Or I'm missing/misunderstanding something.

They have quite a few social workers on the books, so they have to pay them and any other roles equivalent to HSE staff HSE adjacent rates.

From page 5, they have 530 Whole Time Equivalents plus a panel of relief staff who "have mixed availability to work on the front line" (I didn't know that they were sending people to Ukraine). I don't know if their relief staff are counted in the Wages and Salaries pot so it's hard to say what the average pay is but it's a lot more than €40k. I've no problem with that but I do have a problem with poor-mouthing. They have net assets of over €50 million and a large and relatively well paid staff. Fair play to them. I don't support them but others are perfectly entitled to do so.
You do support them as they are getting tax payers money.

They have quite a few social workers on the books, so they have to pay them and any other roles equivalent to HSE staff HSE adjacent rates.
Are all 'staff' paid directly by the charity. Or are social workers billed back to the HSE directly

Are all 'staff' paid directly by the charity. Or are social workers billed back to the HSE directly
There's a question! I imagine they are probably being "paid for" via the "service" rather than directly? That's a good question to get a TD to ask the relevant ministers in the Dail ;-)

No real details in the article. Are they being hit by the increase in mortgage interest rates, the same as any other property investment company?
Well whoopsies. Their borrowings are mainly via the housing agency, right? Though they might have some commercial loans also?

€38,000,000 from the local authorities and staff salaries are €30,000,000. The homeless count on the streets earlier this year was 95 people. Who are their customers? Bearing in mind we have 26 and counting homeless organisations in the country.

Back