The Gasworks (South Lotts Road/Barrow Street) Dublin

J

Jason7

Hello All,

Thinking of buying an apartment in the Gasworks , anyone owning/renting there with any views on the development. Thanks.

Re: The Gasworks

[broken link removed] for the residents of the Gasworks has been all over the papers recently. Looks like a good resource.

Hello All,

Thinking of buying an apartment in the Gasworks , anyone owning/renting there with any views on the development. Thanks.

Know someone who moved in there recently. She absolutely loves it, says it's a great location and apartments are well finished. William Bligh (?) is supposed to be the best block!!

Know someone who moved in there recently. She absolutely loves it, says it's a great location and apartments are well finished. William Bligh (?) is supposed to be the best block!!

Any links to one for sale or rent. Would love to see some pictures of what they are like inside.

Any links to one for sale or rent. Would love to see some pictures of what they are like inside.

[broken link removed] had one for sale recently. One bed, ground floor 440k. It's sold but they might still have the pictures on site!

P.S. The apartments in the Gasometer itself went up for sale a while ago but I think prices started at 650K for 1 bed!!!

[broken link removed] had one for sale recently. One bed, ground floor 440k. It's sold but they might still have the pictures on site!

P.S. The apartments in the Gasometer itself went up for sale a while ago but I think prices started at 650K for 1 bed!!!

Cheers. Yeah i was following their sale.

Doesnt look that special but maybe it was a cheaper apt.

Pictures don't do it justice to be honest. If I'd been selling it I would have had them done again.

Kitchens have lovely granite work surfaces, so have bathrooms. My friend is very pleased with herself anyway, although I thought the builder could have provided the white goods in the kitchen, and the kitchen floor tiles, given the prices!!

[broken link removed] had one for sale recently. One bed, ground floor 440k. It's sold but they might still have the pictures on site!!!!

Interestingly, they may have had to drop the price from 475k to 440k to sell it - it was listed on myhome for €475,000 on 16th May.

Then it went sale agreed with the asking price at €440,000:
[broken link removed]=

Some of the apartments are very close to the railway line, you can see right into them as you pass by on a dart! Wouldn't like to be trying to sleep as the early morning diesel freight trains go by at 4AM :eek:

Gunne have one that is currently coming up under the Ballsbridge myhome search. I always thought that The Gasworks (South Lotts Road/Barrow Street) was in Ringsend?

Interestingly, they had to drop the price from 475k to 440k to sell it - it was listed on myhome for €475,000 on 16th May (google cache - listed about half way down the page):

Then it went sale agreed with the asking price at €440,000:
[broken link removed]=

Some of the apartments are very close to the railway line, you can see right into them as you pass by on a dart! Wouldn't like to be trying to sleep as the early morning diesel freight trains go by at 4AM :eek:

Gunne have one that is currently coming up under the Ballsbridge myhome search. I always thought that The Gasworks (South Lotts Road/Barrow Street) was in Ringsend?

The 475K for this property was actually a misprint which was corrected. If you go into the brochure on the price it's 440K. My friend recently moved in there! We searched everywhere for a place for her to downsize to so I know all the apartments in the area very well!:( She was a demon to please!

They do look close to the dart when you're on the train but actually, it's a lovely open complex and the width between buildings is better than any I've seen. To be honest it wouldn't be for me at 50+ but I love the place! I know I'm showing my age but it has a great 'vibe'! :cool:

I live quite close to a dart line and you hear the trains for the first week or so...then you tune them out. It's something to do with a little thingamajig in your ear.

The Gasworks is definitely not in Ballsbridge, they ARE Ringsend. Don't know why people bother to do this....Ringsend's prices have sky rocketed over the last few years and it's considered a very desirable area!

They do look close to the dart when you're on the train

Yep - I wouldn't like the idea of a train load of passengers looking in at me every 3 minutes :eek:

Hooke and MacDonald still have 1 beds for sale from €423,500:

The general discussion forum in [broken link removed] would be very interesting reading for anyone thinking of buying there.

Ringsend's prices have sky rocketed over the last few years and it's considered a very desirable area!

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Arial]Flood alert as high tide set to hit

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial]THE highest tides in Ireland for 20 years are on their way - with the potential to bring devastating floods to low lying coastal areas including Dublin, Cork, Galway and the south east.

<snip>

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial] "These high tides could be a problem but we will be monitoring the situation closely. We will issue warnings if necessary but with the best will in the world we will only be able to give three days notice of an impending threat of flood," Mr Joyce added.
In 2002 Ringsend and Irishtown in Dublin were badly hit by floods when high tides combined with a storm surge. Work has since been completed to improve flood defences.
[/FONT]
;)

Last edited:

Yep - I wouldn't like the idea of a train load of passengers looking in at me every 3 minutes :eek:

I didn't notice anyone being able to look in!:( Most of the apartments have the side of the block facing the railway line!! As I already said (not fair to supply partial quotes Whathome :p) the proximity to the line is an optical illusion, seen from the dart only. However, there are some apartments on second and third floor who look directly on to dart line. For the rest, the dartline is way overhead. :)

whathome said:
Hooke and MacDonald still have 1 beds for sale from €423,500:

Again, you're not comparing like with like, the above price does not include a parking space which I believe started at between 30k and 40k when the apartments were originally built. :D

I don't think Ringsend/Irishtown has a problem with flooding any more. I remember when it happened though.

the proximity to the line is an optical illusion, seen from the dart only

So the fact that when I'm travelling on the dart I can see right into these apartments is an optical illusion? Maybe they have a large painting of apartment interiors perfectly placed in front of the genuine apartment interiors
:)

So the fact that while I'm travelling on the dart I can see right into these apartments is an optical illusion? Maybe they have a large painting of apartment interiors perfectly placed in front of the genuine apartment interiors
:)

Don't get snippy with me!!!:D What I meant was the amount of land/gardens between apartments and railway line looks much smaller when you're on the train. When you're on the ground the train is overhead and there's quite an expanse of garden between the blocks and the dart line!:)

I know, I know, it surprised me too. My friend thought the dart would be an issue but she's in there now and doesn't find it a problem. She loves the place! Makes her feel young!:rolleyes:

Privacy is always an issue in apartment blocks, some in the city centre look straight into their neighbours with hardly any space between. The Gasworks, on the other hand, has large spaces between blocks and some apartments aren't overlooked at all!

Are you ignoring the fact that the Hooke McDonald price is actually 40K higher than the original Bennett's property Whathome??:p

I should state that I am not an agent for the Gasworks!:D

Don't get snippy with me!!!:D What I meant was the amount of land/gardens between apartments and railway line looks much smaller when you're on the train. When you're on the ground the train is overhead and there's quite an expanse of garden between the blocks and the dart line!:)!

Ah now I have you - it's like the old episode of Father Ted in the caravan. "Doughal listen! These cows are near....but those cows are far away" :D

The Gasworks, on the other hand, has large spaces between blocks and some apartments aren't overlooked at all!

I'm not disagreeing with you on that, in fact I never mentioned it!

This write-up is very positive on the development for the most part. Some local residents don't seem to like it but that's probably because they're worried about traffic etc.

[broken link removed]

"I think these apartments will be the slums of tomorrow," says South Lotts resident John Doyle, who like many locals fears traffic problems will escalate with the influx of the thousands of new residents and workers."

"It's getting too crowded, there are too many apartments and not enough amenities. I think it's just people wanting to make a quick shilling or people desperate to live in D4."

The locals really kicked up about all building work in the area. A lot of big companies such as Mason, Hayes & Curran are having offices built there. And of course, there is Google.

I remember when they were being built, the residents objected as some apartment windows overlooked their back gardens. The builder had to rectify this. I think if you asked today, most have changed their minds and some have bought in the Gasworks, for investment or for their children.

Their objections weren't only to the above but also to Fitzwilliam Point, Bottleworks and numerous others built in the last 5 years. Can't say I blame them particularly, the whole face of their area has changed very rapidly!!

Are you ignoring the fact that the Hooke McDonald price is actually 40K higher than the original Bennett's property Whathome??

No, I'm not ignoring that at all!

...so Hooke and MacDonald have been selling 1 bed apartments in the gasworks since May for €423,500 and they still haven't sold out.
[broken link removed] (From Sunday May 21st)

It doesn't look good that the Hooke and MacDonald price from May is 40k above what a very recent private vendor had to sell for, allowing for the parking space - if your calculations to get 40k are correct?

Yep, checked out the original car park price....40K!! The recent private vendor sold it for 440K that's 16K more than Hooke MacDonald. The apartment in question was one of the first built, so the vendor is making a tidy profit. As the builder is still on site, I'm sure the vendor had to make it attractive to STBs with regard to stamp duty. IMO he shouldn't have...perhaps he didn't realise that the builder will no longer supply car parking spaces to 1 bed apartments!!

The builder, drip feeds the properties onto the market, i.e. only releases apartments when the whole block is almost finished. Some of the 1 beds are very small and have no terrace.

I was interested in another development by the same builder, Castleforbes. Both Hooke and MacDonald and Gunne advertised them at 305K (excluding car park) for a long time. When I enquired I was told that none were available at this price....long time gone.....I'd forgotten the magic word FROM!!

Yep, checked out the original car park price....40K!! The recent private vendor sold it for 440K that's 16K more than Hooke MacDonald.

but the Hooke MacDonald prices don't include a car parking space. So recent private sale was for 23.5k lower than May prices (when you exclude the parking space).

Back