The final date for payment of 2014 LPT is 1st January 2014!

Abbeykiller

From my reading of the Revenue guide, the property tax for 2014 falls due in november 2013 and must be paid by 1st Jan 2014 ?

Could this be right - Enda promised a 1/2 year payment in 2013 building up to a full year payment in 2014 and onwards. In fact , the revenue are now looking for 1 & 1/2 years payment in 2013 followed by 1 payment per year afterwards.

I think this has been missed by the press and will become a big story when the bills are sent out just after the budget and just before christmas .....

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/lpt/key-dates.html

There are several ways of paying, and depending which one the taxpayer chooses the payment dates vary.

If you paid the 6-monthly charge for 2013 in advance though, why would you not think the next charge would be payable on the same basis?

Like, if you were paying by direct debit over the months up to December, would you expect a few DD-free months somehow?

That revenue page give the return dates and the payment method notification dates, it doesn't state when the 2014 lpt is to be paid.

OP has made a very good point I think, most people will be expecting this to fall due in the middle of the year and I for one will have a problem if its due sooner than that

The final date for payment of 2014 LPT is 1 January 2014. This means that people will invariably have to pay it before Christmas.

Revenue released this information during the silly season when everyone was asleep and it got zero media coverage.

I thought Jan 1st was only the final date of payment for 2014 PT if cash payment in one lump sum had been selected this year.
I was going to go into the website before the end of 2013, change my payment method to monthly, and then just pay it in one lump sum anyway in 2014.
I am certainly not paying the 2014 PT in 2013.

(I know I'm calling it PT rather than LPT but it is so NOT local, I just can't. Like the new airwaves tax this is just a money gathering tax. We've got land, water and air taxed now, what next?)

Hold on. The LPT was payable for a half-year in 2013, which is the 2nd half of the year. And the date for payment was 1st July. Quote from the page I linked to: "1 July 2013: If paying your LPT in full by cash, payment must be made by 1 July 2013."

So people who paid in advance, in full, for the first 6 months will then be required to do the same for the subsequent period, unless they want to change their payment method. "1 January 2014: If paying your LPT in full by cash, payment must be made by 1 January 2014."

This makes perfect sense to me, and is entirely consistent with how they collected it for the 2013 period, unless I'm being a bit dense?!

People who don't want to pay in advance in full can pay by SDA which comes out in March, or by salary deduction etc spread over the year.

Anyone who paid in full up front for 2013, and doesn't want to continue in that vein for 2014 needs to notify Revenue by late November of their chosen payment method going forward - "If you chose any other payment method for 2013, you must confirm your payment method for 2014 by:
7 November 2013: Payment notification date (confirmed by paper).
28 November 2013: Payment notification date (confirmed on-line)."

I don't think I'm alone in not realising that 1.5 years payment is then payable in 2013 (Albeit 1 yr of that is for 2014). It was first payable in July, next year it replaces the NPPR which was payable in May/June,......I would have thought it would be due sometime in Q1 at the earliest , not by 1st Jan. I work very hard on budgeting to put money away each month for all bills including this, but there ain't no way I can magic it up by 1st Jan at this stage, as I was reckoning it out of 2014 income.

As someone stated earlier I think a lot of people will have missed this and it will be a blow when they realise. 1 Jan is such an awful time to have it due with everything else that's due at that time!

I think Revenue has set it up in such a way, that there is no excuse for not paying it.

The default option for people should be to pay it by direct debit once a month. This way it will be taken evenly throughout the year.

If you want less admin, and you have the cash, pay it up front on 1 January.

I don't think I'm alone in not realising that 1.5 years payment is then payable in 2013 (Albeit 1 yr of that is for 2014). It was first payable in July, next year it replaces the NPPR which was payable in May/June,......I would have thought it would be due sometime in Q1 at the earliest , not by 1st Jan. I work very hard on budgeting to put money away each month for all bills including this, but there ain't no way I can magic it up by 1st Jan at this stage, as I was reckoning it out of 2014 income.

As someone stated earlier I think a lot of people will have missed this and it will be a blow when they realise. 1 Jan is such an awful time to have it due with everything else that's due at that time!

So pay it by one of the several other options available then?!

I fully intend to change my payment method before November, but just out of interest, what extra would be charged if a "pay in full at the Post Office" person didn't pay till the Post Office actually opened in 2014?
Is there a daily interest charge for late payment?

We're getting off-thread here, mandelbrot, but some of the things people fear about giving access to Revenue to make withdrawals could be:

debit might be taken more than once (errors do happen)
debit might be taken when there are insufficient funds to pay, pushing account into expensive overdraft
debit might be taken as permission to withdraw other taxes that way, unexpectedly

These are not things I fear, you understand. You are welcome to come round and try to persuade my OH there is nothing to worry about, but if I can't, I'd be surprised if you can. He's not alone in his fears; some older people can deeply distrust a transaction they cannot see and feel they have no control over.

Many people do not trust DD.

Yes, many years of dealing with Eircom, BT, Chorus, various ISP's etc have led to a deep mistrust of this payment mechanism. The only company that I personally trust with DD's is ESB.

One of my fears is that having set up a single payment DD/monthly for year one Revenue will proceed to use the mandate for subsequent years including increases without my explicit permission.

Did I read here that many people set up a single payment DD only for revenue to institute a monthly DD?

I also have an objection to revenue having direct access to my account in this way as opposed to a private company.

Folks

There is a direct debit guarantee so errors are fixed quickly.

I can't remember having a problem with direct debits, although I am sure that I must have had over the years.

I think you are worrying too much.

I also have an objection to revenue having direct access to my account in this way as opposed to a private company.

I don't understand this at all?

So if Revenue outsourced the collection to a private company, you would not have an objection?

The Revenue or the private company would have no access to your account information.

Brendan

Back