The death of Dr Garrett Fitzgerald -RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

horusd

Just heard Dr Fitzgerald died. How sad is that. One of the greatest and most decent public servants to grace the public stage. We have a lot to thank this man for, decency, honesty, forthrightness and service. May he rest in peace.

He always struck me a nice decent honest and very intelligent man (and that's not something you can say about a lot of our politicians) in a bumbly mad professor kind of way. Sad to hear that this morning.

He was a gentleman who had more class and integrity in his little finger than a lot of our politicians have in their whole body.

RIP

He was one of the few politicians that you would actually ask for advice and respect his opinion.

He was a gentleman who had more class and integrity in his little finger than a lot of our politicians have in their whole body.

RIP

Presumably the same little finger that signed off on a 200K loan that was written off. A little bit of balance might be in order.

A gentleman to the core. An honest and committed public servant who did the state more than just some service.

RIP and condolences to his family

Presumably the same little finger that signed off on a 200K loan that was written off. A little bit of balance might be in order.

You could not just leave this as a nice thread paying tribute to a popular former Taoiseach? I think its been lovely to see the genuine warmth and admiration being shown compared to all the negativity in politics we have had to put up with recently.

Yes. There must be no criticsm of the dead. Typical Irish. The facts are that A.I.B. wrote off a substantial amount of money he owed.
Why ?
Do you seriously believe that it was done for the benefit of the country ?

Whats good for Lowry, Haughey etc is good for Gareth.

Your comparing Lowry and Haughey, with Gareth Fitzgerald, Get a grip. Fitzgerald could have made that money ten times over if he was not so committed to public life, Unlike the other two who only entered in to public life to gain profit.

Yes. There must be no criticsm of the dead. Typical Irish. The facts are that A.I.B. wrote off a substantial amount of money he owed.
Why ?
Do you seriously believe that it was done for the benefit of the country ?

Whats good for Lowry, Haughey etc is good for Gareth.

Shame on you both. There is a time and a place for political debate. When a family (and indeed a nation) are burying a gentleman, that is not the time or the place.

A good man no doubt, got the send off he deserved.

Strikes me as a win win for FG - get the benefit of the good feeling towards Garrett, and at the same time he's no longer there to throw a spanner into the FG works as had happened a few times in the last couple of years.

Being an Inda fan, I'd hope he'd maintain his 'striaght & true' course (not worrying too much about election promises........) and get similar plaudits in the end.

Especially when the Moriarty Tribunal actually noted that he went to great lengths to pay back the money including the selling of his family home.

He was a decent guy. But his government to '87 were very poor.

Doubling the National Debt and over seeing massive emigration was a legacy of this government.

He was good on the EU and NI.

He was a decent guy. But his government to '87 were very poor.

Doubling the National Debt and over seeing massive emigration was a legacy of this government.

He was good on the EU and NI.

How dare you make such comments ? Don't you know that you are not allowed comment negatively about Gareth Fitzgerald. Just pretend he was the greatest and never did anything wrong with the economy, failed to stand up to Labour etc

How dare you make such comments ? Don't you know that you are not allowed comment negatively about Gareth Fitzgerald. Just pretend he was the greatest and never did anything wrong with the economy, failed to stand up to Labour etc

He had the decency to wait until the man was buried. You didnt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back