The cost of Childminding

De Boss

I was wondering if anyone could let me know what they pay for childminding costs?

I have 3 children who have been with a childminder for a year and are happy and settled. I was paying her €100 per week per child. Now she has raised her fee to €150 per week per child. I am in shock as I cannot afford €450 a week in childcare. Our minder lives out in the country - is this a reasonable request from her? Do others find this cheap??!!

That's a fairly dramatic raise 50%!! I think that is about normal although I have a sister that is in a big provincial town and she minds kids. She charges 125 per child but takes 110 for second kids from the same family.
If your children are happy and settled it may be worth negotiating. Would you be happy to pay 120 per child or maybe even 125? Still a big hike. Do you pay her when she's on holiday?
I have no kids myself so only know from what friends and family are paying/charging.

My son is school going and the creche will drop and collect him to and from school. The creche is open from 7 a.m. to 6.30pm and provides all food. The cost per week is €130. These are Dublin rates.

Thanks niceoneted. No, thankfully, I dont pay her holiday pay. If there are bank holidays in the week I would pay, but if we were off, say for 2 weeks at Christmas, she wouldnt get paid.

I know I am lucky in this respect as some of my friends have to pay all year round, but I am still in shock over the increase!

Anyone else have any ideas of childminding costs? Its from 8.00-5.00 Monday - Friday.

I pay EUR 140 for 5 days a week 7 to 4.30, I paid her half pay during the holidays for the baby, for the toddler that go to Montessori it is EUR 80

I pay €25 per day from 8.15 to 5.00 and the days that my child goes playschool (which he just started) I pay her €15 from 1.00 to 5.00. I pay her in full for holidays. I get paid for my holidays! I provide all the food. My babyminder is brilliant and all the kids there are treated as if they are part of the family and will even take the child if he is sick!

My sister-in-law in Nass pays €850 per month in a creche and its from 8.00 to 6.00 and they provide all the food - she drops to baby in and they give her her breakfast and she has had her dinner before she is collected. She gets a chart as to what the child has eaten during the day etc. If child has more than 2 dirty nappies in the day they have to come and pick her up - not much good when both are out working and no family living near!

Same thing as happened you happened a friend of mine she was paying €100 for 1 child and when she had the second the babyminder looked for €250 for the two - my friend nearly died, but negotiated a better deal as the babyminder was brilliant (baybminder provided the food - i can't understand how €100 could have been paying her in the first place)

Hope everything works out for you.

€150 per week sounds fine but I would expect a family discount, usually up to 20% especially since you have 3 with her, so that'd be €360. I'd try negotiating for something around that but if she digs in her heels just say you can't afford it, I mean it's not a ridiculous price but it would mean you having to come up with an extra €645 (150x4.3) per month which is a bit much to expect from anyone. I pay €135 to a creche for my son for 3 days a week. So her price is fine but the sudden jump is not. Maybe you could agree to up it in stages so you could get used to the increase over time.

We have one school going child with a childminder - who charges €200 per week. This is 52 weeks per year - 7.45am to 6pm. School drop and collection included. We think this is very expensive but do not have another option as school drop is very difficult to get.
We also have baby in a creche - open 7.30am to 6.30pm. €930 per month. We supply everything ... food, nappies etc.

Our minder charges €40/day for 2. Ex food. We pay holidays. Playschool is seperate.
I know a lot now charge hourly rates between €6 - €9.
We are based in North Dublin.

My childminder charges me €20 per day......from 8.30 until 4.45ish.....i provide the food. When my daughter is at preschool she has her from 13.00 until 4.45ish and i give her €15.
She won't take money for any days that I am off.
I have to say i think this is a very cheap rate.....i'm very lucky with this woman......other people i know pay more than this and also have to pay for their days off

Wow!!! Less than a third of the minimum wage. Are they indentured?

Probably minding kids in own home, or Mothers home and getting food provided, cash in hand, no qualifications. You can hardly expect them to be paid minimum wage.
Yes its cheap but hardly slave labour.

Where does it say that the minimum wage is dependent on qualifications? Maybe the food is worth c. €6 an hour though?

She minds her in her own home......i have offered to give her more money and she won't accept it......i try to make up for it by giving her really nice presents on special occasions but i do appreciate that it's probably the cheapest around.

Where does it say that the minimum wage is dependent on qualifications? Maybe the food is worth c. €6 an hour though?

Minimum wage isnt but childcare costs are. You would pay a creche or qualified childminder a lot more than that.

Hi pc7, I havent got back to the childminder yet. I have to consider that one child is about to start school, and also how much I can afford - if I am just handing my wages straight over then there is no point in working!

I was thinking €125 per child plus €80 for school going child - this is €330 pw instead of €450. Does this sound fair? Please be honest as I don't want to insult her - she is a great childminder!

We have one school going child with a childminder - who charges €200 per week. This is 52 weeks per year - 7.45am to 6pm. School drop and collection included. We think this is very expensive but do not have another option as school drop is very difficult to get.
We also have baby in a creche - open 7.30am to 6.30pm. €930 per month. We supply everything ... food, nappies etc.

Holy crap! Nearly €2,000 a month!! That is more than my monthly wages!! What on earth do you live on??

Back