The Consumer Show on RTÉ One returns on Tuesday 19th April at 8.30pm

I don't know what she said about passports, but whenever I have heard her, she seems to know what she was speaking about.

Naming and shaming is not as simple as people seem to think. We are a very litigious nation. And for a consumer show or anyone else to start naming people, they would have to do huge research and spend loads on legal fees. Even still, they may well be the subject to law suits which they cost a fortune, even if they win.

I would hope that Askaboutmoney users are better informed than average, so they are probably not going to learn much from a consumer programme. However, the public is still shockingly ignorant, and what appears boring to an askaboutmoney user may be new and useful to the tv watching public.

Au contraire, his face is perfect for the radio, he'd just need a voiceover ;)

Oh, sneer, sneer! That's it: attack us culchies again. We don't need any namby pamby consumer shows, we have our own way of sorting things out down here. And we don't need any of you nanny-state laws and income tax, either, I'll have you know.

Poor old Keelin Shanley, who has done some good stuff for RTE, looked embarrassed.

I would hope that Askaboutmoney users are better informed than average, so they are probably not going to learn much from a consumer programme. However, the public is still shockingly ignorant, and what appears boring to an askaboutmoney user may be new and useful to the tv watching public.
I just saw episode 2 last night. Agree that we are a self-selecting group, but really, does anyone not think supermarkets try to get you to buy as much as possible? They seemed to think this was so underhand it should be banned! And they gave the younger woman such a doing for not buying the cheapest toothpaste even though the one on bogof was a very different product to the plain colgate.

Maybe it's time to give credit where it's due.

I thought the piece on Monday night about the different prices for drugs at pharmacies was very good especially Keelin Shanley's interview with the pharmacy rep. There should be more of this type of probing.

Eddie recommended checking the HSE website for drug prices. Pity this website isn't a bit more user friendly but that's another story!

The Consumer Show

from the rte site:

Financial guru Eddie Hobbs and journalist Keelin Shanley return to our screens with The Consumer Show on RTÉ One on Tuesday 19th April at 8.30pm

In this new 10-part series Eddie and Keelin will be championing the rights of consumers and telling viewers how to make the most of their money, save for their pensions and get the best deal on their mortgages. Throughout the series Eddie and Keelin will tackle a broad range of consumer issues covering everything from home to health and diet to finances.

Just some of the areas Eddie and Keelin will tackle in this series include the issue of personal debt and debt management, online ticket touts and how to protect against them, the shocking levels of salt to be found in our diets, investments like buying or selling gold, how to avoid the pitfalls when renting a flat or a car and knowing your rights when your mobile phone breaks down and the costs of buying and running electric cars.

Each week Keelin and Eddie will be looking at ways to save money and secure the best deals on mortgages, savings, tax and pensions as well as revealing the surprising truth that lurks behind some everyday purchases.

Eddie and Keelin will be joined again by consumer champion Tina Leonard and reporter Joe O'Shea will provide reports on a variety of consumer issues each week.

The Consumer Show is about helping you know and fight for your rights. We're also interested in hearing about your good experiences - in value or service - so please get in touch by ringing 01 2084636 or email us on [email protected]

Back