Health Insurance That time of year again, any better options for me? 2 adults, one with outpatient costs

Monbretia

Hi all,

Got my renewal for Connect Care 100 @ €1,227.58 I can't remember the reasons why I went with this last year but it must have suited my needs :) Is there any similar plan I should be looking at that is cheaper?

Second one I have is more complicated, 83yr with medical card, renewal for Health Sense Complete @ €1,259.93 (shows gross premium of 4.4k, surely that can't be right?). Needs semi private cover in private hospital, health not too bad, some issues and usual pattern would be maybe a week in hospital every 18 months or so usually on admission by local doctor. Happy enough to pay the following consultant review fee after discharge. But got caught badly this year as consultant recommended follow up out patient trips on which I had to pay €125 excess each time, 5 times in total and maybe not finished yet and this is something I think could easily be ongoing.

Is there any plan that would totally cover these outpatient treatments immediately without a waiting period and not astronomical money, would be willing to pay more than existing policy obviously, it's a gamble!

Thanks for any advice forthcoming :)

May I just ask a question here - what kind of Outpatient treatments would require the €125 excess each time? Would it be something as simple as going back every couple of weeks to an Outpatient Clinic if someone had an eye problem or something?

Options for 83 yr old
The cheapest Laya plan with no excesses attached is 1659pa. Company Health Plus No Excess.
Another similar plan, no excesses, also including good day to day cover, is priced @ 1769pa. Company Care No Excess.
[broken link removed]

Changing to a plan with no excesses or a lower excess is classed as an upgrade in respect of a pre-existing condition, so strictly speaking, a provider can apply a 2 year waiting time in that regard. The likes of VHI( which has a few cheaper options) would be strict in applying the rules.
It is at the discretion of the provider. Laya Healthcare have relaxed these rules, in certain circumstances before, where the new plan took effect from day 1 with no excess applying straight away.
It would be worth discussing this with them and see what the position is for the 83 yr old.

Another alternative option for yourself and maybe for 83 yr old, is Simply Connect plan. price 999pa.
This plan has a day case of 50, which may work out cheaper overall if you can gauge how many day cases would happen per year.
As its a lower priced premium, 999, a total of 13 day case visits would equal the price for Company Health Plus No Excess 1659pa.
It may or may not be cost effective and it would also depend on Laya Healthcare not applying a 2 yr waiting time.

This plan Simply Connect would be worth considering for yourself. Same hospital cover as before, 150 private hospital inpatient excess X 2, any further admissions are free. Day case 50 per visit. Good day to day cover, 1 euro excess, capped at 300pa.
[broken link removed]

Regards, Snowyb

Once again thank you so much Snowyb for your informative post, I will look into this today. I will call Laya but I don't know if I'd trust them not to apply the waiting period unless I got it in writing :) I find they won't give a straight answer over the phone. My father needed an ambulance for his latest admittance which we had to pay upfront for as it had to be a private firm for a private hospital. They would not give me a straight answer over the phone of whether or not it was covered even though I could answer yes to all the questions they asked that would determine that, they did actually pay up but it was irritation I could have done without.

I like the sound of the Simply Connect one, as you say anything less than 13 visits would make it better but also it would just feel better having to pay only 50 per time and not the 125, easier to find 50 quid every now and then! But this is dependant on Laya not applying the waiting period, have I got that right?

Thanks Monbretia, I am on Laya Control 600 Total myself. 822 per annum with a 600 excess per admission to private hospitals, however the Day Case excess is 175. I didn't think about the possibility of an Outpatient treatment being regarded as Day Case by the hospitals.

Yes I suppose I should have called it a day case treatment as he has to go through admissions every time but they just refer to it as an out patient treatment when talking about it.

Monbretia,

Yes, you have it right. Just explain that you're trying to reduce day case costs and are wondering if the new day case amount applies from renewal or does the 2 yr waiting apply if you change plan?

Another poster Toby2111, had a positive outcome recently, and he got confirmation in writing in an email. Link here;
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/switch-laya-policy-midterm-to-avail-of-cheaper-excess.193540/

Sadie;
With Laya Healthcare you can switch to another Laya plan, at any time, outside renewal date if you wish.
Its a standard practise with Laya, and a handy one if a cheaper offer comes up or circumstances change, you don't have to wait for renewal date.

Regards, Snowyb

Well Laya have confirmed that they do not consider the decrease in excess to be an upgrade. They have sent it to me in writing so I think I will be going with the Simply Connect 999 one for both of us. I just want to give one more read through the comparisons of both to be sure to be sure :)

Even if the day cases exceeded the 13 to break even I think I would prefer the gamble, it's easier to find 50 quid a go if needed than the large upfront premium that mightn't be used.

Thanks again for the info.

Monbretia,

That's good news, it seems to be a standard response now with Laya, for day case anyway. Not sure if it would be the same for the inpatient
excess.

Simply Connect plan is a good plan that ticks all the boxes, your understanding is correct.
In addition it has good day to day outpatient cover, 1 euro excess, with a max of 300 per person. In practice, it means half of a total of 600 = 300.
Its handy for any consultant visits or x-rays etc.
If you choose the other option, Company Health Plus No Excess, this plan has poor day to day outpatient cover with a high excess 220.

Thanks for posting the interesting response info, very helpful to know.

Regards, Snowyb

Back