Thailand in August

johnnycash

Hi,
Thinking of heading to Thailand in early August on the honeymoon (2 weeks). The plan is to take in Ko Samui, and somewhere else (maybe Koh Phangan), followed by a couple of days in Bangkok. I need to do a bit more research before finalising the itinery. I've searched older threads on thailand for information but have a couple of questions anyway.
1 - weather in early august ! I know this is the rainy season in Thailand, but from what i've read koh samui does'nt get too much rain in august. Can anyone confirm this ? Is it normally overcast at this time of the year or can we expect a reasonable amount of sunshine ??
2 - Internal flights. What is the best way to book a flight from Bangkok to Koh Samui ? Since we'd prefer to take in Bangkok on the way back we would like to fly asap ? Presume its just a short flight...

Thanks a lot for any help !
JC

I went in August - yes, its the rainy season but that side gets protected from the worst of it. There will be nice days and some wet days. Seemed to rain mainly at night, followed by a nice sunny day.

Koh Samui is busy nowadays - 10/15 years ago it was v.quiet. Koh Tao is what Koh Samui was 5 years ago and Phangan is what Samui was like 10 years ago, so depends what you are after.

As for flights, I cant recomend any airline, but lots of budget airlines have opened up in the last few years and do try to book it before you go, otherwise, you have to go to a Thai agent and they will mess you about with putting you on waiting lists etc.

There is a train from Bangkok to Surat Thani - followed by a boat ride to the islands - only for the brave, as its a long journey, but certainly an experience that would stay with you.

Bangkok Airways have about a dozen flights a day to Samui. Since they own the airport there, they don't exactly have a lot of competition!

Mostly Airbus planes, superb service....and with regard to Samui airport, well, if Carlsberg built airports....:)

[broken link removed]

We flew from Bangkok to KohSamui 5 years ago with BangkokAir. Think the flight was about 2 hours.
Might be worth checking out AirAsia.com - low cost airline. Used them a couple of times and found them very good.

when i was there in july and august 2002 it seemed to rain everyday at approx 1:10pm for about 20mins. by 2pm it was nice and sunny again. used to dump buckets during the night but who cared

Chaweng beach on Samui is very commercial. The main strip is lined with 24 McDonalds, Burger King, Baskin Robins, Subway etc.
Koh Tao is beautiful and good for diving.

Flight time was about 1hr 15 mins for us.

Can I also point out there's a lot more to Samui than Chaweng.

Thanks for all the replies. I don't think we'd mind if it rained during the nights or for a short period during the day, so it sounds ok.
We were thinking of spending the first few nights in a nice quiet resort, e.g http://www.rockyresort.com/, and then a couple of days in chaweng for the nightlife. The other islands sound good, so I'll definitely check those out for week 2. Is it easy/cheap to hop between the islands ?

Its fairly cheap to Island hop. Theres a big catamaran that goes from Samui a few times a day and stops at a number of the islands Tao, Panagan etc.

have a look at this site for info: http://www.samui.org/

Just back after touring the east

Bangkok I think 1 or 2 days is enough there

Bangkok airways fly from Bangkok to Samui and only takes about 40 minutes check out their website

Samui bit commercial stayed in Lamai beach nice town costa del sol like

Check out This website for good info

Did a day trip to Koh Tao and if your not into diving then maybe not worth it as thats all the seem to do and talk about. Other parts of island maybe nice Not sure if Koh Phangan is the same

Back