Tesco - Notepad 900 euros

justsally

I've just seen a notepad for sale in the Tesco store. I thought I could just come home and open their shopping site and find spec. No luck, it's not on the shopping site.

So, before I trot off back to the shop, can anyone help me please. Has anyone seen this particular notepad there. Any opinions about it would be appreciated. Sorry I didn't take more note of the spec :(

Justsally

It's probably one of models on the UK site — do any of them look familiar?

Dell are doing some pretty good offers at the moment, too, for comparison purposes. There were promotional codes in most of the weekend papers (memory upgrade/bigger HDD, etc.)

Thanks Doc
(Great Continental Steamer :D )

I think I'll take myself off to Tesco with pencil and paper and take a few details from the box. Might even ask the manager if he has a spec. Then, with that in hand I'll do some comparisons - psst. but when it comes to techy questions *raises arms" I know nothing.:confused:

Justsally

Back again,

That Tesco notebook costs 999 euros. It's a QOM 9017 - I can get it 20 euros cheaper in DID. The Centrino Processor caught my eye, plusthe 15.4 widescreen LCD display. The guy in DID said I didn't need the Centrino unless I was going to use it for games. Now I'm as confuddled as ever, but as I'm not in any hurry should I wait for the sales???

Justsally:confused:

It's my understanding that Intel market their Centrino chip as being the best for wireless connection to broadband internet. If you like the laptop (and more importantly the price) then go for it. However as other posters have said, I would compare specs for the Tesco laptop with what they have to offer on the likes of the Dell website. You might get better value.

Thanks for your reply Tallboy,

I remember seeing a post on AAM from a guy who works/worked for Dell and he said not to touch the Celeron, as the Centrino was much better/faster. I guess I was attracted to the Celeron just so that I could be sure to be sure :D, and I would be using it with broaband wireless. I think that model will be on offer for a while so I'll try to compare it with other specs on the Dell site. I'm going to have to google a lot in order to understand the jargon though.:eek:

It is the higher end of the scale for me, cost wise.

Justsally

I use a Celeron and it works fine for me. I would go for the Centrino if I had a choice next time I guess.

Same spec about €450 from dell if you reduce the warranty to 90 days and no queueing in Tesco neither :p

only thing wrong is you need to buy about 512Mb of memory from shop4memory.ie for €50 , therefore its €500 but that has everything you need for €500

Can you fit the 512MB memory easily enough yourself? Would this invalidate the 90 day warranty?

No because you can remove 'your' chip if it has to go back so they do not know it was there (restart afterwards and OK the error) .

Its a doddle. little door in the middle of the back of laptop

Pop open

pull lugs out to the sides a tad

press chip in (it can only go in one way)

lugs snap in and catch the chip

done.

ask tech at work to show you how its done, the chips have been the same for years.

Make sure to observe the normal ESD precautions when fiddling about with the internals of your PC/laptop and its components. And make sure that it's powered off and disconnected from the mains! When sourcing memory for any machine, but especially laptops, make sure to get the correct type. Use one of the memory vendors' memory configurators/selectors to help (e.g. Kingston etc.). Once you have the technical specifications of the memory that matches your machine then you can shop around for it elsewhere if necessary.

ClubMan said:
Make sure to observe the normal ESD precautions

The dell one I linked for €450 would be about €600 delivered with a better spec than the iQon one. (eg 1 year warranty, 15" screen, same memory and hard disk BUT DVD writer not CD write/DVD play) Thats like for like.

For the non techs out there, you fit memory like this.

Place laptop on table near a radiator

Pop open the square hatch in the back (there may be one screw holding it in place too) do not go inside .

Put your hand on the radiator before you take the chip out of the anti static bag it comes in.

Do not walk around or drag your feet to build up static .

If you are always getting static at home bring the chip and the laptop elsewhere before you fit it .

Thats all.

Hi 2Pack

Intel Pentium M Processor 225
Microsoft Windows XP Home
512 MB Ram
60GB Hdd
15.4 Widescreen LCD display
DVDRW Multi Drive
Intel PRO Wireless card
56k Modem
Untra AGP shared graphics
channel sound with speakers
3 X USB Ports
10/100 Lan
TV Out
1 x PCMCIA
Microsoft Works 8.0
1 year warranty....................

This is the same as the Dell one????? except for the extra memory and warranty.

Would I need to buy speakers for the Dell one,and USB keys whatever they are.:(

You might be sorry you said anything.:D 'cause there are really really really non techies like me around.

But I would appreciate your help.

Justsally

justsally said:
Would I need to buy speakers for the Dell one,and USB keys whatever they are.:(

The speakers you'd have to decide for yourself. It'll come with built in speakers but these can sound a little tinny at times. That's purely personal taste and certainly something you could put off until a later date.

A USB key is simply a little memory device that slots into the USB drive of your computer (you'll see a small little rectangular hole either on the front [if it's newish] or else at the back of the hard drive your working off now). It lets you save memory to the key (or stick) and transfer it from one PC to another.
(It does what floppy disks used to do in the past, transfer of information).
Again, you don't need one and you can always pick this up another time from any gadgety/electronic/tv shop. No point in spending all sorts of money on stuff you don't REALLY need [might be worth doing a quick price check to see if they're being offered at a good price as part of the bundle though].

....(Having looked at both the speakers and USB keys being offered on the dell site neither are at a price that you couldn't match (or beat) in any large retailer [DID, Dixons etc etc])

Do not buy memory or usb keys off dell, they rob you try www.shop4memory.ie for both.

The same spec dell would be c.€600 thus

click my link, reduce warranty to 1 year so its €505 delivered or with 6 cell battery = €517 if you use battery a lot .

I leave the screen as is, 14 in not 15in as in the tesco one, you will not really notice that I assure you .

I then buy the memory in shop4memory and get a 512mb usb memory key (aka a pen drive) and 512mb Inspiron 1300 RAM off them . about €80 the pair.

Now I spent about €600 and have a little bit smaller monitor and 768Mb ram in the laptop but if it breaks during the year they will collect it, repair it and ship it back to me, dunno what Tesco does ???

Otherwise identical to Tesco.

Thanks Ccovich, 2pack and Satanta.... I'm learing a lot :)

You're right Santanta, I don't need all those extras at this point in time.

I've gone over the specs on the Dell site, time and time again. I'm getting there *phew* just can't make up my mind yet on whether to go with the Celeron or Intel Pentium M725. 60GB or 80GB - would it matter?
Cheers

Justsally

40Gb fine, celeron fine. If you needed more you would be able to tell us WHY :D . As you did not you do not. Future proofing is irrelevant at that price.

Back