Tenerife Apartment

Mrs Aol

Hi Can anyone please advise me on the best way to sell an apartment I have in Tenerife?

I have been watching this thread for a while now.... and virtually nobody had any advice to give to Mrs AOL for selling her oversea apartment !!
Usually, people are very keen at sharing their experience on AAM.
Though, if Mrs AOL has enquired about buying, she would have got much more feedback.

I am dissapointed
1) for Mrs AOL, sure.
2) for myself, as i do not believe in oversea investment because of risks and difficulties in managing these properties... BUT i could change my mind if i was reading more on AAM (and in the press) about disposing of oversea assets and about "real gain" rather than "potential gain".
AAM forum is quite empty on this topic. Not to mention inheritance and CGT issues...

Does that not alarm oversea investors???

I have an apartment in La Laguna in Tenerife which is rented to students. The best way to maximise your selling opportunities are to advertise to the biggest number of people possible. Find a local estate agent who sells a lot of property in the area, advertise privately in Ireland etc

Thanks for that. I have placed the apartment with a local estate agent in los Cristianos. I plan to enquire with an irish agent how it would work with them too. I just thought someone on here might have experience of this.

can you tell us how long you have owned the apt and what kind of a gain you expect also were you happy with your over all experience of buying abroad as i am thinking of buying abroad and was considering the cannaries because of all year weather did you let it out

We bought the apartment while it was still being built 4 years ago. We use it alot ourselves and for family and friends. In between visits we have rented it quite a bit. We only avertised it on an online rental website and from the enquiries and booking we've had there we could fill it 2 weeks in four.

As you say, one of the main attractions of Tenerife is the year round weather so there is no really quite time. We charge 805euors for a standard week and for Christmas and Halloween breaks 1150euro. If it was purely an investment property and you put a bit of effort into advertising you could fill it about 3 weeks in four I'd say. If you'd like to see our one check out our web site [broken link removed]

My experience has been quite good. We are very happy with the apartment and the rentals we have done. If i didn't need the cash for another building I wouldn't consider selling it at this stage.

Good luck if you do go ahead with it.

website impressive. I advertise our place on www.holiday-rentals.com and was toying with the idea of developing my own website also.
Do most of your bookings come from your own website or other online rental website?
Ballpark what did it cost to develop your own website?
Virtual tours are a good idea but do they add significant cost to the website?
Thanks
By the way how much are you looking for?!

I used to advertise on holiday rentals too and http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/. We actually got most of our bookings from holiday rentals. The idea of the web site was to get some cards printed with it to send to golf and bowling clubs. We didn't actually get around to that though as we decided to sell. I think it would have been a pretty good earner though.

We put the website together ourselves (my husband did a course) it's pretty easy using microsofts frontpage application. We opened an account with www.hostireland.com and as far as I remember it costs about 100euros for the year.

An estate agent in Los Cristianos reckons we should get in excess of 280 -290k for a quick sale, more if willing to wait.

Great to get possitive feedback on the web site, maybe we should throw it in with the sale!

I would use the website to market it in Ireland.
Consider all the usual buy and sell and the odd ad in national/local paper.
Would need to beef up the availability though to attract investors.

Yeah, thanks, I guess I should start advertising it for sale. Not sure how I could work it with regards viewing though and that's what's holding me back.

Not taking booking since we decided to sell -hence the availablity situation.

Kill 2 birds and offer discount viewing trips. Your agent should help you on this.
Many is the paddy that bought from a local hotel in Ireland looking at a set of plans so your photos and virtual tours are well ahead!
Agree holiday rentals website is the business. We rely on it totally.

Mrs Aol and Markowitzman,

Am interested in the rental potential of the Canary Islands. One argument that has been used to counter my suggestion of buying there for rent is the availability of packages to the Canaries and the lack of flight only from Ireland. What are your views on this?

Slim

our experience with rentals is that villas with private pools are easier to let and rental yield is stronger. If you havea pool heater you will get off season rents also. We are in costa del sol which would be cooler in winter. Appartments only rent here in low season unless you have long term let.

Back