Tenant chopped down exotic tree!

You obviously don't have alot to worry about or your looking for something to worry about -- life is too short to be moaning about a tree in a house you have rented out.

Get real.

You obviously don't have alot to worry about or your looking for something to worry about -- life is too short to be moaning about a tree in a house you have rented out.

Get real.

I disagree. The tree was the OP's property and the tenants had no right to chop it down. The property value could be adversely affected if the OP wants to sell in a few years' time. And if the tenant now has an extra parking space that they didn't have as part of the original agreement, should they not pay extra for this?

Green Fingers my foot. They were having you on.

They wanted that house because they could park their campervan. Nobody who loves to grow things would cut down a mature tree, and think it was ok. Next thing they'll do is spray the gravel with Roundup on a windy day.

They will find it hard enough to find another place with space for that van - make them replace that tree.

By the way, I think it is illegal to fell a tree without a licence from Coilte. Search for a thread in askaboutlaw.

I would be furious if it happened to me.

I disagree. The tree was the OP's property and the tenants had no right to chop it down. The property value could be adversely affected if the OP wants to sell in a few years' time. And if the tenant now has an extra parking space that they didn't have as part of the original agreement, should they not pay extra for this?

Maybe the extra parking space adds more value than the tree.

I'm a tennant and I think their behaviour is vandalism. If they were younger would people take it so lightly? The arrogance of it makes me wonder what else they've done. Assuming it's a once off innocent mistake I would do the following:
Ring around nurseries (you could start with futureforests in Cork, they can at least point you in the right direction for mature specimens) and ask what would be the equivalent and what would it cost. Golf clubs spend €1000 plus getting mature trees for their courses so it's not a case of popping down to the garden centre and getting a €25 quid cherry tree. When you have this information I would ring them and ask if you can come round to talk to them. At the meeting calmly state that you presume cutting down the tree was an honest mistake but that it was very valuable and give them a written quote for cost of replacement. You can judge it from there as to whether you want them to pay for the full cost of replacement.

When you have this information I would ring them and ask if you can come round to talk to them. You can judge it from there as to whether you want them to pay for the full cost of replacement.

Again brilliant. The property is in a rural area and they are paying the market rent from some time ago. Is there anyone aware as to how difficult it is to let in a rural area and at a decent rent. Lettings are way down and all and sundry are suggesting throwing out an elderly couple for the sake of a replaceable tree. The deposit should be more than ample to cover the cost of a tree. This is fast becoming an instance of 'Penny Wise - Pound Foolish'.

Mercman, I think we get it, it's difficult to rent in a rural area.
By the way, I didn't suggest the OP throw out the tennants.
Just as landlord shouldn't be allowed exploit tennants on the way up, tennants should respect the property they are renting regardless of market conditions.

Mercman, I think we get it, it's difficult to rent in a rural area.
By the way, I didn't suggest the OP throw out the tennants.
Just as landlord shouldn't be allowed exploit tennants on the way up, tennants should respect the property they are renting regardless of market conditions.

Maybe, but the landlord Insurance Policy is in the form of the deposit

At least €200 a year. :rolleyes:
LOL is that all, there was another thread on here recently and the cost of the parking space was 70K. Serously though there are going to be new rules requiring planning if you want to convert your front garden into parking (a green inititative I believe) but it won't apply to those who have already done so, so the tenants may have done the landlord a favour.

Anyone who would chop down a mature tree for a camper van is a barbarian.

Under Brehon Law damage to a tree was punishable by a fine of 2 milch cows and a 3 year old heifer

Back