Temporary Credit Card Needed

The reason was my income that they turned me down,i explained i only needed it for the week and would cancel after the week but that did not work,i cant understand them.
my brother has a student credit card,hes with boi,ill have to ask him about that.

The best credit card customers are those that only pay some of their debt. So they want a nice balance between an income and a habit of not clearing a credit card balance. The decided your income was too low, telling them you only needed it for a short while would only re-inforce their decision. It isn't worth their while giving you a credit card you aren't going to use over the long term. That was why I advised against telling them you only needed it for a week. In their eyes this is not an incentive.

my brother has a student credit card,hes with boi,ill have to ask him about that.

Sorry, they probably won't allow a second card on a student account. But no harm in checking!

it does not look like that will work,but thanks for all your help,i tried applying for one of them easykards,but the dam thing wont accept my maestro card,even though it gives maestro under the payment options,im cursed,looks like a bicycle ismy only option over there haha

Yeah it is,i use it online to top my mobilephone up,but thats the 02 site,but why does it give the maestro option anyway.anyone know of where i could get a prepaid credit card other than the 3v cards,here in ireland

Maestro is a thorny issue for Irish banks. The only true maestro comes from postbank. If you open an account with them they will send you a proper maestro card.

You should be able to get the easykard using the postbank maestro.

okay well i popped into the halifax branch in kilkenny today and i opened a new current account with them,they seem far more better than dealing with aib,whether i will have my card in time for the 10th of july is the big question mark,i hope so,plus the car renting companys accept visa debit cards,so fingers crossed i will have it in time.

Best of luck. As you are probably aware you will have to lodge the expected car rental money into your Halifax account in advance, or the transaction may be declined when the rental company try to reserve the amount when you collect the car.

Sadly i didnt recieve my halifax debit card yet and im away tomorrow so looks like i may forget about renting a car,i swore id have it by now

Could someone tell me as to whether the OP could use his brother's card? My daughter uses my card , obviously with my permission. Surely if he lodged money to his brother's account in advance, it would be okay and maybe the easiest or do you have to have the card in the same name as your identification ?

Could someone tell me as to whether the OP could use his brother's card? My daughter uses my card , obviously with my permission. Surely if he lodged money to his brother's account in advance, it would be okay and maybe the easiest or do you have to have the card in the same name as your identification ?
Sorry, they probably won't allow a second card on a student account. But no harm in checking!

..or do you have to have the card in the same name as your identification ?
Sorry, meant to add this bit - under their trading terms with the card companies, merchants are not allowed to ask for additional identification - either they accept the card as payment or decline to.

A link to the merchants' T&C's with MasterCard was posted here some time ago but I can't find it just now.

Frequently in the USA merchants will request additional ID before accepting any form of card payment whether it be a credit or debit card.

Dam Them Anyway,got Turned Down As I Fully Expected,and I Only Need It For One Week,why Is It So Dam Hard To Get A Credit Card?

Ring them and ask why you were turned down. The same thing happned to me a few weeks back and I rang and told them that I had been banking with them for years and what was their explanation for turning me down. It turned out the wrong letter had been send out to me and I had my credit card within a few days. Th lady I spoke to me said they were inundated with applications for the new Click card which is available through the internet only.

Frequently in the USA merchants will request additional ID before accepting any form of card payment whether it be a credit or debit card.
They are not entitled to for a credit-card transaction and there is no obligation on the purchaser (card-holder) to provide additional id.

This is the reference I couldn't find earlier, with thanks to VanHeusen.

Nope. Per "Rules for Visa Merchants": [broken link removed]

When should you ask a cardholder for an official government ID? Although Visa rules do not preclude merchants from asking for cardholder ID, merchants cannot make an ID a condition of acceptance. Therefore, merchants cannot refuse to complete a purchase transaction because a cardholder refuses to provide ID. Visa believes merchants should not ask for ID as part of their
regular card acceptance procedures. Laws in several states also make it illegal for merchants to write a cardholder’s personal information, such as an address or phone number, on a sales receipt.

They are not entitled to for a credit-card transaction and there is no obligation on the purchaser (card-holder) to provide additional id.

This is the reference I couldn't find earlier, with thanks to VanHeusen.

Thanks for that. In my experiences in the USA they have never recorded any details from the ID, they just compared the name on the card with the ID.

I don't know if they would complete the transaction if you refused.

...I don't know if they would complete the transaction if you refused.
Both MasterCard & Visa have form letters you can send to them complaining if a merchant refuses to complete a sale because you refuse to produce additional ID. They (anecdotally anyway) seem to treat it seriously.

Thanks for that. In my experiences in the USA they have never recorded any details from the ID, they just compared the name on the card with the ID.

I don't know if they would complete the transaction if you refused.

Many people in the USA do not sign the back of their card. Instead they write...see ID...or something to that effect in the sigature strip. Then the vendor needs to see the ID (usually a driver licence with signature + photo) before they can decide if they should accept the card.

People I asked described it as a form of double security - a lost or stolen card is more difficult to use without the ID. If it is used, any signature is unlikely to match the cardholders thus making refund claims easier to prove.

Back