Teaching vs Nursing

Very little going on in teaching. You have to be willing to pick up scraps and do what you can extra curricular wise (sport, music, drama, bus driving) for nothing to try to make yourself invaluable to a school.

I qualified in 2009 and there is no sign of a full time job on the horizon. Have been lucky to pick up a few hours in the same school for the last few years but they really are scraps and every year I have to wait until August to hear if I still have them.

Have applied for approximately 60 jobs over last 3 years. about 5 responses and 2 interviews.

Newly qualified teachers do not stand a chance.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rustbucket is right and speaking from within (nothing beats insider knowledge) - Forget about Teaching.

Sorry to have got embroiled in a monetary issue earlier i.e. €57,000 to train each nurse in our universities. I should have stopped at the monetary amount and said nothing else. Of course life in invaluable etc.

The HSE offered an early exit deal some time ago to Nurses (and other HSE staff). Many nurses took up the offer, got their lumpsum and pension and immediately registered with the nursing agencies. Some more nurses returned to part-time working in their old posts. I am not arguing the rights and wrongs of any issue I raised, I am merely showing the situation as it is. What was a scarcity of jobs in nursing has now become zilch jobs in nursing.

Now for my verdict:- Forget About a New Career in Nursing.

Read my Lips:- Forget about a career in Teaching or Nursing.

Last edited:
I know there will be people out there with different views but I will give you my experience having been on a board of management of a NS for two different terms and having spoken to members of other boards of management. It is the Priest who invariably is the chairman of NS's run by the catholic church who makes the decision on the appointment of NS teachers. If you are going for a position in such a scenario and there is another teacher who has a priest contact you can forget about it. The interview system is generally a charade, just ticking boxs. The rule structure as set out in the cpsma handbook gives them this authority. The overall board of management have little or no authority or influence in appointments. I have seen it at close quarters

Just be thankful that our kids are being educated in skills that are needed elsewhere. All mine are abroad having received third level qualifications in Ireland. I have given up all hope of this country being right for years. As for educating them for jobs that the economy needs 10 years ago people were rushing into construction studies, auctioneering etc. Its only the likes of Kenny Bruton Rabbitte etc who have ripped the taxpayer off for years with their salaries that will be comfortable in Ireland. If I can get a decent price for the house I,m back to the UK. Biggest mistake I made was to ever come back

Just be thankful that our kids are being educated in skills that are needed elsewhere. All mine are abroad having received third level qualifications in Ireland. I have given up all hope of this country being right for years. As for educating them for jobs that the economy needs 10 years ago people were rushing into construction studies, auctioneering etc. Its only the likes of Kenny Bruton Rabbitte etc who have ripped the taxpayer off for years with their salaries that will be comfortable in Ireland. If I can get a decent price for the house I,m back to the UK. Biggest mistake I made was to ever come back

Do you not think there's a contradiction between the biggest mistake you made was coming back here and the fact that your children were educated for free in this State?

Blaming the oppostion (as was) for the crisis is pathetic. Have fun in the UK.

Don't understand those who are saying that there are no jobs in nursing in Ireland. I have several friends who are CONSTANTLY turning down agency work with the hospitals begging them to come in as they are so short of staff....Dunno...most of this work is in Dublin and surronding areas...

I am working in I.T. where there is a severe skills shortage here in Ireland right now. I am the only Irish person in my team and am surrounded by people who have been flown in from abroad to fill the skills shortage.
This country is insane.

We can't get skilled people either; nearly all our new hires are Polish and English and even then it's hard to find the right skills.

In particular to the last two posters my son has a 2.1 degree in secondary teaching and recently qualified without a hope of securing a job in his area. He got an honour in honours maths in the Leaving Cert but he did not follow this line for teaching. What should he do in order to gain a qualification in IT that would give him a good chance of finding employment in the IT field with potential for reasonably good earnings into the future. He is aged 21 and in a part time job unrelated to teaching. Good advice would be greatly appreciated as hopefully it would avoid immigration.

looking2011 thank you for your reply. I know it is another big bill after having paid all his bills for the last 4 years. I am not terribly well up on all of this but are the courses you referred to part time or full time and how long are the courses. Thank you for your time

I'm not looking for graduates at all (though some of our guys have engineering diploma and degree qualifications). I need skilled tradespeople for precision engineering. It took us over 6 months to find a welder that was any use, lack of skilled people is the biggest problem we face; we'd hire 10 staff tomorrow if we could find them.

We're talking Teaching -V- Nursing here guys. I think it is time to bring the lot to a close. Despite what one poster said about agencies finding it difficult to acquire Nurses, this is not true. Nurses have retired from HSE, some have returned from abroad, every years sees hundreds of nurses qualifying. We are overloaded with nurses for years and will be for years to come.

Forget about decent careers in Teaching and Nursing in Ireland. It's time to stop kidding ourselves. The job source has dried up - a terrible pity.

I would advise anyone who is considering returning to study to read some reports from Forfas relating to skills supply and shortage. Shortages in IT, sales, science and personal care. Lots more detail in the reports.

I think returning as a mature student means you really have to think it all out. Younger people can emigrate, take career diversions or uturns etc, they are luxuries unafforded the mature graduate.

Leper; Despite what one poster said about agencies finding it difficult to acquire Nurses said:
[/B]bombarded"with phone calls for work from agency and hospitals where they do agency work.Perhaps it is because they are very experienced and great at their job that they are so much in demand (unlike perhaps recent grads with no experience).

But agency work is unsecure by it's nature. It won't get you a mortgage, security that the mortage or rent will be paid next month, sick pay, maternity pay, a pension, holiday pay, an opportunity to progress within in your career, an opportunity to forge relationships with colleagues.
If the only work afforded to graduates is agency, it's a career to be avoided IMO.

But yes, I agree, mid career nurses I know have their pick of agency work.

Back