Taxi scam or not? No change given.

As far as I can see most Dublin taxi drivers try this trick on by either claiming to have no change or else rooting around for ever and handing you back one coin at a time in the hope that you will say "Ah sure keep the rest". I never do and sit there patiently waiting for my change unless I'm really happy with the service (if he gets me there early or is good company or such) in which case I generally leave a tip. But there is no doubt that these lads are greedy. However in my experience its much the same the world over with taxi drivers in cities - maybe it's a training course they all go on before they start?!!

Quick story which i thought id share.

I travel a lot with work via Dublin airport. Prior to the introduction of the new fare regulations, a trip from home to airport cost between €45-55 (depending on time of day etc).

Since the new regulations have come in, this has increased to between €55-65. I got a taxi home recently from the airport and total was €64. The taxi driver turned to me and asked me did I think that was the correct fare as he couldn’t believe it was that much. He said it was the first long journey he had done since he got his meter upgraded and couldn’t believe the increase in price – for the journey we did he expected the fare to be around the €50 mark. I confirmed to him that it was pretty much what I had paid before due to the new regulations. He round it down to €60 (out of guilt i think?)

I have pretty much no time for 90% of taxi drivers and agree with the majority of comments, but I thought to add some balance I would post this story.

The whole thing makes a complete mockery of their recent protects about the revised fare structure – they are creaming it more than ever now.

M

Ah guys "Come on !!", These guys are out dealing with all walks of life, drunk and sober, day and night, they can't have change of every single fare they pick up. Your worried about being ripped off, while they worried about been mugged, or worse!. I know if I was driving my car I wouldn't get out and leave a complete stranger in it while I got change for them.Think about it? And NO I'm not a taxi driver!

Everlynn,
Don't you think getting change between pickups might be a good idea. If I bought something in a shop and they didn't have change I would do a U turn straight away and be gone.

Digger,
This is the way most of them get their change and from passengers, but sometimes they pickup straight away after a drop off, and maybe the passenger before you has taken all his/her change. As for a shop, well these have a safe and most times two or more people working in it that can go a get change. It wouldn't be ideal for a taxi to carry alot of money in the car, for their safety, and less ideal for them to show their passenger where it is when looking for change.
As I'm sure most have heard of the taxi driver on Friday night that was very badly beaten, his money taken and his car burned out, they never know who is in their car, and thankfully most of us do not have the same fears when going to work

I have been given a bad deal several times in the past. I refuse to use them now. Hey, it's been approx three years since I've used one. Happy days!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah guys "Come on !!", These guys are out dealing with all walks of life, drunk and sober, day and night, they can't have change of every single fare they pick up. Your worried about being ripped off, while they worried about been mugged, or worse!. I know if I was driving my car I wouldn't get out and leave a complete stranger in it while I got change for them.Think about it? And NO I'm not a taxi driver!

Maybe you are related to one so ? Besides, lots of people have to deal with all walks of life in order to try to earn a living.

They are supposed to be providing a service for which cash is the preferred (and often only) means of paying.

It's their business to have change.

Maybe you are related to one so ? Besides, lots of people have to deal with all walks of life in order to try to earn a living.

No I'm not............but i do think it's ridiculous to tar all with the same brush. I know I don't have to worry about being attacked by a client at work while I try to make a living.

Back