Taxi or bus to airport

lyonsie

Getting a flight to Crete on Saturday morning at 10.50 from Dublin Airport. Am planning to get early train from Cork to Dublin, arrives in at 8.25. Airlink bus leaves at 8.35 for airport from Heuston Station, will we be in time for check-in? My e-ticket, budget travel, states that check-in gate closes 45 mins before flight....
If the bus leaves on time and we are on it, I feel we should be at the airport by 9am, plenty of time.... Am I on the right track or should we take a taxi.

Yes, plenty time. Once you have your bags checked in 45 mins before you fly you are ok. Don't be worrying , enjoy your trip.

You will be tight. (1) I travelled on that train once but the Airlink bus leaving Heuston didn't depart on time. (2) There is the possibility the train may be late arriving at Heuston. (3) I think the Airlink bus goes via Busaras so arriving at the Airport by 9am might be optimistic. Many places now have buses running through the night to the Airport. Did you check Aircoach timetable?

I agree with oldtimer, it's a bit tight.

1hr 50 before sounds great in theory but if there's a queue for check in and then for security along with a half mile walk to the gate (if it's Ryanair) that time will get eaten fairly quickly.

What's the cost of a taxi compared to missing your flight.

Forget it - come up the night before if you want to be sure. If you don't, and the train arrives on time, take a taxi. Dublin traffic is pretty bad at that time of a Saturday. Especially with a match on in Croke Park (always seems to screw things up).

I wouldn't chance it. If the bus or train is delayed for even a few mins it could mean you miss your flight. Come up to Dublin the night before and stay in a hotel near the airport or if you must come up by train on the day get a taxi. The extra cost will be worth it in terms of stress/missed flight/tears etc :)

Not travelling Ryanair, but when I did recently, I used on line check-in and just sailed past everyone to security with my boarding pass printed off my computer....
Anyway, travelling with Budget travel. Is there a match in Croke Park on Saturday???

Yes , soccer international , Ireland v Serbia.
Come up the night before , there are plenty of hotels near Dublin Airport doing room rates of about €80 with free transport to the terminal. Your going on holiday , last thing you want is to be stressed out worrying about getting there on time.
Enjoy ...

Are you talking about this Saturday morning ?

If so why not get the Aer Arann flight from Cork at 0800 arrives into Dublin at 0855 ... Selling that for €65 one way all in at the moment.

By the time you buy your train ticket and get Airlink or Taxi to Dublin airport from Heuston there'd be not that much in it I would have thought ? (Plus you wouldn't have to get up so early :) ). Certainly cheaper than overnighting in Dublin

Def cheaper than an overnight, but you forget we also have to make our way back the following saturday, and unless we buy return fllights, it is going to make our inexpensive week away very expensive....
Plus, one of us has free rail travel.... the costs are very important.

I think you are right. Just to be on the safe side. Is there a web site for Taxi's in Dublin, I think I remember hearing an add on radio for something like this... Anyone know.

There will be plenty of taxis waiting at Hueston only too willing to take you. Exit to the right as you come off the train , you cant miss them.

Taxi's better then I'd say ... there'll be very little traffic on a Saturday morning at that hour so shouldn't take more than 20 mins to get to the airport.

If the Airlink is there and if you ask the driver is it going direct to the Airport (i.e. not via Busaras/O'Connell St.) then I'd get that ... but I wouldn't wait for it as it may be running late and then may go via Busaras/O'Connell St. which could take quite a bit longer to get to the airport.

I'd say it's more like €20ish in taxi fare to the airport from Heuston than the €12/€14 Superdrog suggests ... Taxi should go up the quays and straight out to the Airport or around the North Circular road ... don't let them take you out the N4 to Liffey Valley and then around the M50 as that would be the long way and pointless given traffic will be light.

Thanks, 12/14Euro does not sound too bad. Would we be advised to agree fare beforehand or do they do that in this country.... Rip off Ireland....

Thanks, 12/14Euro does not sound too bad. Would we be advised to agree fare beforehand or do they do that in this country.... Rip off Ireland....

12/14 from Heuston to Airport sounds very very optimistic.

Hardly a rip off. The fares are set by the taxi regulator and are clearly on display.

The taxi driver must charge the fare on the meter and so fares cannot be agreed in advance. Howerver the taxi driver can give you an indication of what the journey would usually cost given the time of day/traffic etc.

Would 20 Euro be a more optimistic figure for two of us to Airport from Heuston... And do you think we would be there before 9am.... I think we would....

Back