Taxation after Separation

St. Bernard

Looking for some advice as I am close to completing legal separation and was wondering what is the best way to sort my tax affairs.

My wife has not worked for quite some time and we have been jointly accessed as a married couple since we married.

Most likely she will not be returning to work for some years as we have 2 young kids.

I am a PAYE worker earning 42K per annum nothing else.

My question is what should i do about my tax situation. Any advice greatly appreciated.

SB

Last edited:
Hi Clubman

Yes i had a look at the revenue site and the citizens information site too. But i still cant make out what is the best thing to do. Suppose i was hoping someone might have been through something similiar and would be in a position to advise.

SB

What sort of maintenance payments/agreement is likely to be put in place? There are different options for the tax treatment of these. It may be that having them tax deductible at your end and taxable at her end if she has no other earnings may be financially beneficial but I think that they then have to be court ordered rather than voluntary. There are some implications for your tax credits for the year following separation which are outlined in the guides above. Not sure about the options for joint/separate/individual assessment but again the guides should clarify. Whether or not the kids overnight with you at all (on a regular basis) may have implications for claiming certain tax credits. There may be other relevant issues - this is not a comprehensive answer!

Thanks Clubman I appreciate your time,

I am making voluntary maintenance payments. Yes as far as I know maintenance payments have to be court ordered to be tax deductable,

I have read the guidelines for the year after separation and as she will not be returning to work I will be taxed as a married person for this time, Then as a single person for the following tax year.

Yes the kids stay with me overnight once a week and every second weekend.

SB

Hi Folks. Would really appreciate some advice on this.

Very tricky to advise in a situation like this without all the information...

First, and very pertinent, question is will you be required to pay maintenance to your wife (legally bound under the deed of separation) - as distinct from any amount of maintenance for the children?

Will either child / children stay overnight with you at least one night during the year?

Are you living with a new partner?

Essentially when you separate the default position is that you each become taxed as single people again. If you are paying maintenance for your estranged wife (again, as distinct from maintenance for the kids), then it is taxable as income in her hands, and you are entitled to a full deduction for it.

So, if you earn 42k under PAYE and you pay 8k maintenance to her, then your taxable income is 34k (hence the relevance of my first question, particularly to high rate taxpayers).

You would also be entitled to the one parent family tax credit, provided kid/kids stay with you at some point in the year, and that you aren't living with another partner (hence the relevance of the other two questions).

Alternatively, you can jointly elect (i.e. you both agree, and request in writing to Revenue) to continue to be treated under aggregation (joint assessment in layman's terms). This would mean that any maintenance you pay is ignored for tax purposes. You would each be treated as individuals during the tax year, and after the year has ended, you can transfer any tax credits / standard rate band that your wife hasn't used, in the same way as you always would have.

In the above scenario then, where the husband is the only one earning, with an income of 42k gross, and any maintenance payable is for the kids, the two alternatives play out as follows (assuming you aren't living with a new partner):

1. No election to be aggregated - treated as single:

Husband:
Income (after deducting maintenance): €42,000
Std rate band is 36,800 (increase of €4k if you are a One Parent Family)
Notional tax payable 36,800 @ 20% + 5,200 @ 41% = 9,492
Tax credits - Personal 1,650 + One Parent Family 1,650 = 3,300
Tax payable - 6,192

Wife:
Income from maintenance: Nil
Notional tax: Nil
Tax credits - Personal 1,650 + OPFC 1,650 = 3,300 (these go unused)
Tax payable - Nil

Total tax paid on €42k of income: €6,192

2. Election for aggregation:

Husband:
Income (no deduction for maintenance): €42,000
Std rate cut-off will be 32,800 during year, but €9k can be transferred from wife at year-end, meaning std rate band is effectively €41,800
Notional tax (41,800 @ 20% + 200 @ 41%) = 8,442
Tax credits - Personal 1,650 + Wife's unused personal credit = 3,300
Tax payable 5,142

Wife:
Income: Nil
SRCOP: €32,800 (€9k used by husband)
Tax credits: Personal 1,650 (fully used by husband)

Total tax paid on €42k of income: €5,142

From this example you can see that in general, if only one party has income, and there isn't maintenance, then it works out better to go for aggregation... HOWEVER...

If maintenance of €8k is being paid:

1. No election to be aggregated - treated as single:

Husband:
Income (after deducting maintenance): €34,000
Std rate band is 36,800 (increase of €4k if you are a One Parent Family)
Notional tax (all @ 20%) 6,800
Tax credits - Personal 1,650 + One Parent Family 1,650 = 3,300
Tax payable 3,500

Wife:
Income from maintenance: 8,000
Notional tax 1,600
Tax credits - Personal 1,650 + OPFC 1,650 = 3,300
Tax payable - Nil

Total tax paid on €42k of income- 3,500 + Nil = 3,500

2. Election for aggregation:
Husband:
Income (no deduction for maintenance): €42,000
Std rate cut-off will be 32,800 during year, but €9k can be transferred from wife at year-end, meaning std rate band is effectively €41,800
Notional tax (41,800 @ 20% + 200 @ 41%) = 8,442
Tax credits - Personal 1,650 + Wife's unused personal credit = 3,300
Tax payable 5,142

Wife:
Income: Nil
SRCOP: €32,800 (€9k used by husband)
Tax credits: Personal 1,650 (fully used by husband)

Total tax paid on €42k of income: €5,142 + nil = €5,142

So, in a case where maintenance is being paid for the benefit of the spouse, it may well be better not to opt for aggregation.

The moral of the story is that the optimum position, tax-wise, will entirely depend on the individual situation, and other considerations will come into play, as the aggregation option means that to some extent your tax affairs will still be linked, so good communication may be needed...

I hope that helps, tried to keep it simple as possible, but it may not make any sense to you...! :eek:

What sort of maintenance payments/agreement is likely to be put in place? There are different options for the tax treatment of these. It may be that having them tax deductible at your end and taxable at her end if she has no other earnings may be financially beneficial but I think that they then have to be court ordered rather than voluntary. There are some implications for your tax credits for the year following separation which are outlined in the guides above. Not sure about the options for joint/separate/individual assessment but again the guides should clarify. Whether or not the kids overnight with you at all (on a regular basis) may have implications for claiming certain tax credits. There may be other relevant issues - this is not a comprehensive answer!

Just to clarfiy on the maintenance thing - maintenance paid for the benefit of the spouse is tax deductible, as long as it is leagally enforceable. This may mean court ordered, or under some kind of formal legal agreement between the parties.

If you are getting legal advice on the separation issues then your solicitor may be able to comment or recommend somebody for advice on the tax/financial issues.

mandelbrot: Thank you very much. A lot of relevent information provided and all explained great. I will have to sit down and go through it carefully.

Clubman: Thanks again for your help too.

Many thanks again

SB

Back