Tax relief on UK NI Contibutions

ATN

HM have me that I have 21 qualifying years of NI contributions and to qualify for the full basic State Pension I can make voluntary contributions.
I moved to Ireland in 2000 from the UK.
I am self employed without a pension scheme

Can I claim tax relief on voluntary contributions to the UK.

You have 2 potential routes here

1) pay UK voluntary contributions to keep up to date - but no tax relief available in Ireland- however, a lot will depend on your age and further contributions as to whether this will be worth while - and also - if you are a long way from retirement, will any UK (or Irish) pension be paid when you do retire? Check out potential returns on entitlements with UK Social Swcurity office - they can be very helpful.

2) check with Irish Social Security to see if you can have the contributions transferred to the Irish records (if you are intending to remain and draw an Irish pension).

Domo has answered your question re UK contributions and I would go along with that 100%
Regarding your Irish pension have you been paying Class S contributions since 2000 ?. If so you may be better off claiming your Irish pension separately based on those contributions. This would depend on how far from pension age you are now.

Back