Tax on part time job

car

Kids old enough so wife looking to go back in to workforce. Ive had all our credits on my salary for last decade or so.

If she got a part time job, say for example 200 a week. Does that get hit with full taxes or is there a sum she can earn that doesnt get hit?

Assuming you are jointly assessed, then she will be paying tax at 20% plus PRSI 4% plus USC 0.5% less an income tax credit of about € 30 per week
so her take home pay should be around € 180

PRSI and USC likely wouldn't be an issue in €200 per week.
Make sure to register the job through myAccount so that she isn't hit for emergency tax rates. If she isn't on a 'Week 1/ Month 1' basis, she will have a large tax credit to eliminate tax for much of the remaining year.

I've a free Excel spreadsheet at taxcalc.eu/monthlyss (also an optional €2.50 version available) which might help.

Kids old enough so wife looking to go back in to workforce. Ive had all our credits on my salary for last decade or so.

If she got a part time job, say for example 200 a week. Does that get hit with full taxes or is there a sum she can earn that doesnt get hit?

I have a related question - wife has started back to work making about €400 per week gross. Currently I am taking all credits / allowances as my salary well into the higher rate and Home Carers allowance still applied.

Her payslip is showing she is being taxed on a Week 1 basis and all of it 40% - is this correct? If I do an annual calc on calculators referenced above it works out she is paying too much. Any explanations for the Revenue's rationale around Week 1 basis?

It may not be the revenue, it could be the employer who hasn't got the latest RPN (Revenue Payroll Notification). Employers are obliged to use Week 1 procedure as a default

She can login to the Revenue website and check credits, etc

[broken link removed]

Home Carers allowance still applied.
This is the important bit.

If home carers credit is being claimed, you can't also claim higher tax bands. Your wife will be charged 40% tax, and have her PAYE credit.
If she's going to earn more than 8k, just cancel the home carers credut and she'll pay tax at 20%.
Or wait till end of year, get a balancing statement and Refenue will automatically do it if it was more beneficial.

This is the important bit.

If home carers credit is being claimed, you can't also claim higher tax bands. Your wife will be charged 40% tax, and have her PAYE credit.
If she's going to earn more than 8k, just cancel the home carers credut and she'll pay tax at 20%.
Or wait till end of year, get a balancing statement and Refenue will automatically do it if it was more beneficial.
Ahhh....bingo....I thought that might be some part of it...many thanks!

Back