Tax on 2nd property

C

charlie

Is the recently introduced €200 tax on a 2nd property payable for tax year 2008 or does it start in 2009?

How would that work on an old cottage with nobody living in it and given by the mother in law. Still a second property .Will the Son in law/Daughter have to pay this 200.

I also have a question regarding this tax. There are a number of scenarios where one can let out their home but not own a 2nd home. Does this tax apply to anybody who is letting a home or does it only apply to people who own more than one property? The obvious scenario is husband owns the main home, wife owns the 2nd home. Neither can be said to own more than one home. Another scenario would be letting your house while renting somewhere else or living with family.

Is this a way for revenue to get a comprehensive list of 2nd home owners?

They will be using utility bill Companies------- ESB, Eircom, Gas Co to ascertain 2nd homeowners. No rush on this I suspect as the penalties are fixed €20 per each late calender month. So someone getting caugt 3 years down the road -- €600 (3 X €200) will become almost €1,440.00

Definitely not worth the risk. Plenty of personnell in civil Service to pursue this !

Secman

Does anyone know how to go about paying this tax? I have seen no information on that at all?

Thank you.

In relation to Hol homes its not unusual to have utility bills issued to Main residence address. Presumable too that stamp duty was paid, these can be linked to PPS no's. All I'm saying is tax offices have plenty of staff freed up from Off shore accounts, Dirt tax etc cases. Its not that difficult a job to track down owners. Mortgage int relief, Rental income returns, Stamp duty,

One year on and €200 becomes €440 and it just snowballs. 5 years arrears say €1,000 at current rates would not be to far off €5,000.

Secman

You don't have to own more than 1 property to be liable. If you own a property iin Ireland that is not your main residence - you are liable to pay the charge. (Even if you don't own the property that is your main residence)
Good Summary Here - http://www.*****************.com/new-property-tax-on-second-homes.html

Hi,

I have emigrated from Ireland in 2009 (permanently to Switzerland). I have leased my home in ireland. Am I liable to this Euro 200 tax? Thanks for your advice....

Hi,

I have emigrated from Ireland in 2009 (permanently to Switzerland). I have leased my home in ireland. Am I liable to this Euro 200 tax? Thanks for your advice....

Looks like you are liable - see post above yours .

you may be liable but what they gonna do if you dont pay,i hardly think they will exradite you from Swtzerland.

I'm sure there are lots of one-off situations that are not answered on the NPPR.ie site so here's my situation:

Me an my siblings were left the family home after our parents died, at the time our youngest sister was living in the house (and still is).

The rest of my siblings have there own houses, including me (the family home is the youngest siblings PPR) but because the house was left to the five (5) of us, would I be right in thinking that the oldest four (4) siblings owe the money (tax) on the familiy home, or do we have to pay because it's been used as a PPR.

Thanks..

use2b - The house is not the PPR for 4 of you - so you 4are jointly liable for the €200 charge. The NPPR charge doesn't cater for partial liability - you could argue that you 4 only own 4 fifths of the property and should pay 4 fifths of a charge - but they don't / can't / won't cater for that.

Back