Tax in different countries - any calculators out there?

RMCF

Does anyone know if any calculators exist that might give you a rough idea of what amount of income tax you would be paying if you were in another country and your circumstances were similar?

Was chatting to someone the other day and this topic came up, and was just wondering.

For example, what would a 30yr old, single person who is earning €40k in Ireland pay in tax if they were in Italy, Germany, US, Australia etc?

Would be interesting to compare.

I don't know of any such calculators, the best I can offer is the [broken link removed].

Hope this helps,

Jim

That made for interesting reading. Appears Dublin folk are pretty well paid compared to the big cities.

For example, what would a 30yr old, single person who is earning €40k in Ireland pay in tax if they were in Italy, Germany, US, Australia etc?

Would be interesting to compare.

This would actually be no good as the cost of living is different in every country. Plus some countries give better services than others which is not factored in to a tax calculation.

Look up the websites of the big accountancy firms, there are sometimes details on there of the different countries tax regimes.

Dutch income tax is progressive as follows:-

Taxable income

€0 to 18.218 2,30% €
€18.218 to €32.738 10,80%
€32.738 to € 54.367 42%
€54.367 - 52%

A salary of 40K is approximately 2,000 per month net here.

Thanks Lou34. Is that all-in or are there local taxes and/or social insurance taxes too?

Hi Orka

The above includes the social insurance taxes. However you are required to pay local taxes such as property tax/refuse etc. In addition it is compulsory for all people living and working in Holland to have private healthcare insurance which is approx. EUR100 per month. Often this is done through a employer group scheme so works out a bit less. In general the cost of living is lower here food/basics etc. House prices are high in Amsterdam and less so on other parts of the country. When I lived in Ireland I earned approx. 45K. Now I earn 39K here and to be honest my monthly wage does seem to go a lot further. My partner also works earning 24K so I guess that helps. Taxation is certainly high but services are excellent, transport networks, healthcare. Also there are excellent incentives to purchase property with generous allowances granted.

"Also there are excellent incentives to purchase property with generous allowances granted."

Lou, there was in Ireland also.....had to post, it just jumps off the page..

Back