Tax back on teeth up north

M

mickinblack

Im having my teeth done a lot of work and the cost is 4000 euro.I live in Dublin and travel up each month to get the work done..Would i be able to get any of this back in tax or is this a no go as its up the north...

There is a key post above on claiming back tax on medical and dental expenses,
which you should read. It lists the dental treatments which you can claim for.

According to citizensinformation, there is no mention that only medical expenses incurred in Ireland, are suitable for tax credits.
However, I don't know of anyone who has done this.

As the tax credit for you would be 800 euro, I would suggest that you pursue it,
and please let us know how you get on.

If I were you, I would ask the Dentist to fill in the Med2 form, and ring Revenue and
ask them for an answer.

If the work being done on the teeth qualifies for tax relief in Ireland it therefore qualifies regardless whether the work is done in North or South or elsewhere outside the country.
The dentist must be registered under the laws of that country

If the work being done on the teeth qualifies for tax relief in Ireland it therefore qualifies regardless whether the work is done in North or South or elsewhere outside the country.
The dentist must be registered under the laws of that country

Do you have personal experience of this ? I ask because I would like to update the key post with the definitive statement that people had successfully made a tax credit claim for dental work outside of Ireland ?

Any information on your experience, or anyone elses would be appreciated.

I have successfully claimed tax relief for orthodontic work done in Canada in 2008 in tax year 2009. Dentist over there just had to complete the form, there is space for a PPS number from the dentist but that is not necessary.

Sorry don't have personal experience (have a complete horror of dentists. Some day I'll pluck up the courage) My reply was from revenue.ie

Get your dentist to complete form Med2 which lists all eligible dental treatments (Bridges, crowns, implants, etc) . You can claim for expenses incurred anywhere in EU (I don't have information regarding other countries such as USA, Canada.

I have spoke to my dentist and they do indeed fill in the med2 forms for people from the south..He told me many of his customers have got there tax back..I will be done with the dentist in 3 months then claim my tax back...I will let you no how it goes

You may need 2 x Med 2 forms. One for work done in 2009 and one for 2010 to be claimed in the relevant tax years

Back