Tax and adult child living in house after college

Mothergoose

I live and work abroad. My daughter is finished college at the end of May and lives in a house I own in Ireland. My understanding is that once she is finished college she will have to pay rent or I will be taxed as if she is paying the market rent for the property. Is this correct? Is there any way around this. My daughter has left college but she will be studying at home for FE1 exams.

Take a look at this. Is she attending anywhere for instruction related to the FE1s?

If it does indeed appear to be a gift of free rent and the exemptions no longer apply, remember you can give her a gift of 3k tax free, as can your spouse. And if she lives with a partner then double that. How far would that go into the market rent for the property?

Does she live alone there, or could she benefit from rent a room if it is her PPR?

Also make sure you understand the nuances of your own tax residency in this context.

4.2 Examples of Non-Exempt Gifts/Payments/Benefits

Free Use of House
Parent buys a house for €1 million and allows his 30 year old daughter to have the free use
of the house indefinitely. The annual rental value of the house is €36,000. The free use of the
house is a gift equal to the annual rental value each year (less the annual small gift exemption of
€3,000). If two or more of the parent’s children have the free use of the house, the value of the gift is shared.

If the child ultimately inherited the house, that inheritance could be eligible for exemption from CAT under the principal private residence exemption in Section 86 CATCA 2003 once the conditions governing the relief were satisfied.

5 Examples of Gifts / Payments / Benefits that are Exempt

The following are examples of gifts / payments / benefits that are exempt from CAT:

Occupation of Family Home by Child
The non-exclusive occupation of the family home by a child (including where relevant the child’s spouse/partner) family member. Revenue’s view is that this does not give rise to a gift by the owner of the property to the family member. Thus, in line with Revenue’s long standing approach, there is no question of trying to attribute a value to “bed and board” provided by the owner of the house to a child (including where relevant that child’s spouse/partner) of any age.

Free Use of House by Child attending University
The provision of the use of a house owned by a parent rent-free, to a child not more that
25 years of age who is attending university, to help support and maintain the child while in university, is a normal and reasonable provision and is, accordingly, exempt from tax under Section 82 CATCA 2003.

Hi! All, thanks for these very informative replies. My accountant only half explains things to me and then doesn't return to clarify my questions.

It looks as of my daughter will have to pay me rent when she finished college at the end of May as I am living abroad and have my PPR itherw. My question which my accountant didn't clarify was whether my daughter needing to pay rent for her room in the house begins from next tax year 1st Jan 2025 as she I registered as a student until end of May this year and I have claimed a dependent person credit for her - not that this really matters as I am working abroad. Could someone clarify if my liability for tax re her free room in the house begins 1st Jan 2025 or at the end of May when she finishes college. Thanks!

Back